Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images

Information Overload! I could use assistance - picking a hammock

I found this forum shortly after getting my first (and only) Hammock, a HH Expedition classic (bottom entry)

Well, I've realized I'm too big for the classic expedition (6'0, 203lbs). At least I feel like I fill too much of the hammock but I can still sleep great!

So I started doing my research for a new hammock and I thought for sure I was going with a WBBB.

But then the Warbonnet came out with the WBBB XLC and then I was turned on to Dream Hammocks - Darien, RoamingGnome, DangerBird, and now the Thunderbird!

I'm diligently saving a little money each month and expect to buy in October (birthday money completes my savings goal!) but now I don't know which to buy!

I would use it backpacking/car camping with my son's BSA troop (as I do with my HH). I also plan to use it on a High Adventure trip next summer in MN/Canada (Northern Tier). We do one winter trip in January. I slept in my HH with a pad and a 0 degree sleeping and stayed comfortable all night (mid 20s in GA).

If I ever get to do any dream trips, I'll do the 100 mile wilderness on the AT in Maine.

The dreaded calf ridge is making me hesitant about the WBBB. I'm thinking the WBBB XLC is a bit of overkill though. The footbox on the WBBB seems like such a perfect thing for great comfort though. The width of the Dream Hammocks seem to negate the advantage of the footbox though.

I don't see any summer HF hangs, so I don't see any opportunities in Central Florida to try out some hammocks.

I'm hoping I can get some pointers from the more knowledgeable members here. I guess I'll also be revisiting the Shug videos (Thank you Shug!!)

Thanks for your help!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Everything but Papa's Darians are a little too heavy for the back country for me.

Any of the models listed will probably suit you better than the HH, which is probably just a little too short. Hang on to it. Will make a great loaner to a new hanger.

I was the same way on first venturing onto HF. WB and Dream make some really really great hammocks, and you can't really go wrong with either, or any of the rest of our cottage vendors. They will all work with you before, during, and after a sale to see you are getting exactly what you want and need, for your particular application(s). They also resale well, should that or your mind change down the road.

I took several months before figuring out what I needed and could afford, and picked the best I could find that filled both demands. The HH will give you a good idea of what and where to go from there, being a quality import.

Calf Ridge to me, is a fixable problem in almost any hammock, that can even seem to come and go from time to time. A small pillow, or some rolled up clothes under the knees, usually does the trick for most.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler,yukon & home brew
    Tarp
    Tadpole & Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge and woob
    Suspension
    straps / whoopies
    I can only speak on the WBBB. Mine's a 1.7 dl and there's no calf ridge at all, but as with most, you have to keep close to the magic 30 degree angles. I also have a Yukon Outfitters double and it's real comfortable too, but I do lay more diagonal. It's my backyard napping machine, but it is more prone to calf ridge than the BB. I suspect that the dl of the BB is why it's less prone to it. It has heavier material, two layers and gives much better support. The foot-box is great and the shelf is very handy too.
    When you pick your flavor, if you put down coin and don't like what you purchased, someone will want it. It's always a gamble as not everyone likes the same thing. Just don't give yourself a bad case of analysis paralysis

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have a BB and never had a problem ( I am 6ft 2 and 280lbs). You could also try your hand at the DIY route and make your own hammock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    WB Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kc0qnx View Post
    Just don't give yourself a bad case of analysis paralysis
    I definitely have a bad case of analysis paralysis!

From comments so far, I'm starting to calm a bit, but as I get closer to actually being able purchase, I find the analysis paralysis getting worse.

My latest thought is WBBB with either an Edge tarp or Mamajamba.

Otherwise, it would be either a RoamingGnome or Darien, I think the DangerBird and Thunderbird may be too much. And pair up with an OES tarp -- standard?

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    Don't forget to check out the Switchback!

Hope you can get to a Hang before October so u can try different models.

Images
    If you liked the HH then move up to the Explorer. I have that and I have loved mine. You may want to do the zip version. Either way it will be a little less expensive than the WBBB.

I have the Classic bottom but just had the 2QZQ Mod 4 done and love it. I still have the bottom entry in place but I can go either way and I love being able to move the bug net out of the way when desired.

I also know that HH tends to do a sale around December that if you buy an Exped or Explo you can get a scout hammock/straps/snake skins free. I did this back in January when they extended the sale and it worked out great for my kids. I have extra hammocks to bring friends on hikes/hangs with us now.

Good luck on your choices. I'm sure it'll all come together.

EDIT: I know there is a group hang in AL just south of Birmingham the first weekend in October. It's a haul but you can certainly get a chance to try out all of the ones mentioned thus far there (and meet some darn nice folks).

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Camo
    Insulation
    ThermaRest Z Lite
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have the Mamajamba tarp and it's gigantic and I love it.
    The Edge looks like it would be fully adequate.
    But if you have an extra ~$20, treat yourself to the luxury of a huge tarp. :-)
    http://planetmath.org/equationofcate...usofvariations
    "...the catenary, this marvelous graceful thing, this joy of physics, this perfect balance between rebellion and obedience, is God's own signature on earth. I think it pleases Him to see them raised.'' -- Mark Helprin, "Winter's Tale"

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    There is no perfect choice. That's why most people on the forum buy so many hammocks Each hammock has strengths and weaknesses. To find the hammock that is best suited to you, there's unfortunately only one way: trying them out.

If you have the chance, go to a hang. Or ask if there's somebody near your location who has one or the other hammock and would be willing to let you try it out.

Otherwise, just throw a coin and buy one. If you don't like it, sell it on and try the next one. Warbonnet and Dream Hammock hammocks hardly lose any value.

I have both WB and DH hammocks. I have used my Blackbirds (the old version) extensively and still do. I only started using my 11' RoamingGnome. I like both. The RG is huge and fairly easy to hang, but for a flat lay it requires a pretty diagonal lay. Something that is more difficult to achieve with a full-length underquilt (which is what I'm using). If you're planning to use a full-length UQ, I would recommend the BB. I haven't found a hammock that gives a flatter lay (in addition to WB und DH I also own hammocks from WL and BIAS), and it does so without requiring a very diagonal lay.

As you already read, a lot of people find that the Blackbird is not too easy to hang. But with some practice and patience it's absolutely possible to hang and lay in it without or with minimal calf ridge.

Maybe just decide which aspect seems most important to you: ease of hanging? Weight? Customization? Prioritize and the decision will be a lot easier.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Give in now.
    Buy one of each and try 'em out, sell what you don't want.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast