Links OR suggestions on building my own Hammock?

I posted a thread about getting information about lightweight hammocks manufactures & made the mistake of disclosing that I sewed my own tent last year & ended up getting many members encouraging me to make my own Hammock. I wasn't looking to do that, but, it appears to be an option now!

So, I'll continue to look at both options. So, I guess I'll need some lines on plans and any past builders input from their own experiences building their won Hammocks.

I want to really research the entire thing before jumping in. I want a double layered hammock, as I think that I'll have my mattress in between the 2 layers & I've read it helps with mosquitoes from below. And I want to have a full bug net, which kind I do not know, need some input here for sure. So, these 2 options might complicate it a bit. We shall see what you all have to say on those 2 points.

Thanks!

I would say to read this entire thread, and you will be good. (seriously, if you can it goes quickish... lots of different takes.)

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=15205

Its really just a rectangle with the ends gathered, but if you read all the replies in that thread you will have a good idea of different styles and ways to finish.

First I made a table cloth hammock with whipped ends. There are different styles of whipping but I just bought the 60X126 table cloth folded in half long ways, grabbed the two loose ends in left hand and folded center in right and gathered into my palm. I then pulled the ends out a little. This makes the fabric shorter at the edges, cupping the edges to support your head, and hold in your feet/topquilt.
    I REALLY liked this.

Then I bought a sewing machine, made a channel end and ran three stitches then ran the suspension through the channel.
    I didn't really like this. I found that with the suspension through the channel the ends do not gather as tight... I dunno... I didn't like it.
    I sewed straight channels so the edges werent pulled tight either, and the material fell away from my head a bit...

When I went to make a 1.1, I aimed for 10ft by 60in finished length.
    I belive the GTUL is 45in wide... part of why its not that great... I think most people would agree 60in is minimum if you don't want to compromise comfort, but there will always be other opinions...

Not many do it, but I think the next step is important... on the short ends I cut triangles, 4 inches in on the short end, 2 inches in on the long end...Some of that was lost in the hem, 1/2in lost on each edge (1/4in rolled hem). Id do more next time. It is almost not noticeable but if you lay in it and pull the edges tight there is a small lip upwards that adds some support and keeps stuff in.
    You can cut triangles, use a steady curve, or just increase the width of the end channel towards the edges... but IMO you REALLY want the last inch or two of the edge of the hammock to effectively be an inch or two shorter at each end.

I ran cord through my channel, gathered then wrapped around the bunde and knotted a la warbonnet. You can try this and just suspension in the channel to find what you like more. With the 1.1 being so thing the bulb end seemed stronger.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Above reference is good but if you want to do more research, try some of the topics from this thread...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=51555

and check out Just Jeff's homemade Gear section...

http://www.tothewoods.net/JeffsHikingPage.html
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Check out all of the materials and DIY Guides here...http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/diy-guides/hammock/

• + New Posts