Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mikenmel08 View Post
    I use the Hennessy straps with carabiner and rings....works great and VERY, VERY simple to setup...check out this video on YouTube i found....this is the setup i use
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJT...e_gdata_player
    Thank you mikenme this is just what I was looking for and will use this set up.
    Can't ask for more simple.
    Thank you all for your answers and all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by swoody126 View Post
    these are the ones i use:

http://www.rei.com/product/783147/bl...gate-carabiner

they come in colours, so you can designate heads frum tails

highly polished, so as to knot abrade your suspension parts

light enough & support my lardus bottomus maximus w/o whining

& they are quite reasonably priced

glad you continued your research

you have just begun...

aint this fun???

sw
    Yes, yes it is fun

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx UQ

Re: Hennessy Hammock ?

Glad i could help...

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    I use the Hennessy straps with carabiner and rings....works great and VERY, VERY simple to setup...check out this video on YouTube i found....this is the setup i use
    this method MAY have caused me to pause b4 i built my WHOOPIES, it is so *%#^ simple!

you can't read/watch EVERYTHING all at once, it takes months...

ths

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    I have a HH explorer and use that set-up too. I bought ENO Atlas straps and hung low with no sag at all. Its not the lightest set-up, but I don't care about the extra 1/2 lb - its simple, very fast and works great.

Hammock
    HH D-Explorer Asym, ENO D-nest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HHSS, Jærven
    Suspension
    Straps+rope, Atlas

Hennessy Hammock ?

I started my hammocking buying an ENO double nest with their Slap Strap PROs last year. Had some minor issues with the cords that came with the PROfly, and got a set of Atlas straps as compensation.

The slap strap PROs were always giving me issues with tension or height as the distance between the loops is awkwardly long. The Atlas straps are great. Writing this I'm hanging in my garage under a 3.6m long 1.5"x3" beam, suspended using the two bottom loops of the Atlas straps as shackles (just what I had at hand). I like them, and will continue carrying them as my "tree huggers".

I bought a HH Explorer Deluxe Asym this summer, and it's fast become my favorite of the two. Mostly due to the ease of setup and year down (using snake skins). I know I could use snake skins on the ENO as well, but have not gotten around to it yet.

I have used the Atlas straps combined with a carabiner and the HH with a knot at the end of the ropes, but having seen the video with the carabiner an the rings last week, I know what suspension system I'm going for

As slap straps I will for sure recommend the Atlas straps. Never experienced any sag in them either...
    I love a good nights sleep as well as anybody - I just love mine elevated...

Quote Originally Posted by skilleman View Post
    I started my hammocking buying an ENO double nest with their Slap Strap PROs last year. Had some minor issues with the cords that came with the PROfly, and got a set of Atlas straps as compensation.

The slap strap PROs were always giving me issues with tension or height as the distance between the loops is awkwardly long. The Atlas straps are great. Writing this I'm hanging in my garage under a 3.6m long 1.5"x3" beam, suspended using the two bottom loops of the Atlas straps as shackles (just what I had at hand). I like them, and will continue carrying them as my "tree huggers".

I bought a HH Explorer Deluxe Asym this summer, and it's fast become my favorite of the two. Mostly due to the ease of setup and year down (using snake skins). I know I could use snake skins on the ENO as well, but have not gotten around to it yet.

I have used the Atlas straps combined with a carabiner and the HH with a knot at the end of the ropes, but having seen the video with the carabiner an the rings last week, I know what suspension system I'm going for

As slap straps I will for sure recommend the Atlas straps. Never experienced any sag in them either...
    Hey skilleman,
    thanks for your post can you tell me more about the differences between the ENO and the Hennessey I am thinking about the Expedition Asym Zip.Was also looking at the ENO double nest.

Hammock
    HH D-Explorer Asym, ENO D-nest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    HHSS, Jærven
    Suspension
    Straps+rope, Atlas

Re: Hennessy Hammock ?

Quote Originally Posted by EZ-DOES-IT View Post
    Hey skilleman,
    thanks for your post can you tell me more about the differences between the ENO and the Hennessey I am thinking about the Expedition Asym Zip.Was also looking at the ENO double nest.
    Hi EZ!

Whoa - you are asking a big question...
    I've used the ENO for a year, and have used the HH Deluxe Explorer Asym since this summer. I must admit that the two are very different and have their own qualities. The following is my evaluation and stands for itself - others may differ or object, but as stated - this is my opinions.

ENO OneLink w/Doublenest + Insect Shield
    I love the nylon hammock. You can wrap yourself into the extra fabric and really enjoy hanging out in the open. It's breathing and quick to dry, but it does not take much wind for you to really feel the chill even in warm (20°C) weather. Bringing a sleeping mat into the hammock really ruins the great feel. You need an under quilt or something similar to keep warm in windy conditions - no news to many, but a nuisance when you did not bring anything but the hammock. There is no ridge line attached to the hammock, but it is not difficult to attach one.

In the Nordic Countries we do not sleep well without the bug net, except during winte time. The insect shield goes all around you. No risk being nipped in the but by the hungry suckers I've been using the sewn on pouches to carry the bug net and hammock, but it means that you have to tear down everything when you break camp - leaving you to set up all at the next camp site. Cut the pouches off and use snake skins if you need a faster setup/tear down process with the ENO set. The bug net needs a separate ridge line set up to hang from. A bit annoying, but I've not made a better system for this yet. Another challenge with the ENO is the hanging height. The bug net hangs down below the hammock requiring you to hang it higher up not to make the pouch or net dirty, but at the same time making entry into the hammock harder. On the hath it is impossible to hang the hammock high enough for the bug net not to drag down into the heather, and being able to get into the hammock without jumping. I'm 187cm high, and have an issue...

ProFly Tarp - It's a tarp and does its job well. I like the tarp to be disconnected from everything else as it helps breaking camp when it rains - and it rains a lot in SW Norway. The ProFly covers what it needs and works well in side wind. I have not had the misfortune to set up a hammock with the wind blowing in the head or foot end - yet... so I do not know how it works then.

NB! There is no way you can use the ENO as a tent. You will require the ability to hang this one up in order to sleep in it.

Hennessy Hammock Deluxe Explorer Asym
    First impression - the hammock is made of more durable fabric. It just looks and feels like the hammock to bring into the woods. Using your tracking poles at the ends you can make it into a tent - if you lack the trees to suspend it from. The fabric is not waterproof according to the manufacturer, but if you select your camp site with care, I'd think you'd stay dry - at least when the fabric is new... With regards to sleeping comfort, I'd say the HH is comfortable. You can lie in the HH in warm weather with some wind without feeling the chill too bad because of the thicker fabric - although you will get cold in the end.

"Birth channel entry" - felt strange at first but I like it. Suspending the hammock in sloped terrain on the heath works beautifully with this entry. I have no problems with the hammock dragging the heather. I was testing the hammock last weekend in bad weather. Heavy rain with strong nightly wind. I had the wind coming in from the side, and kept dry. With the tarp pulled down almost touching the sides of the hammock (when it was not blowing) a zipped side entrance would have been challenging and maybe wet due to the dew on the inside of the tarp. The bottom entrance was no problem at all - and with the sloped terrain I could stand full length under the hammock/tarp just outside the entrance. The bottom entrance is also enabling easy cleaning of whatever dirt you bring in with you. Maybe a ZIPped version with the bottom entry would be the best?

The tarp connected to the hammock as a part of the quick setup did not work for me. With heavy rain falling down I want to be able to pack down everything else and leave the tarp until I break camp. Using snake skins on the hammock with a wet tarp - I do not find the idea very tempting. I chose to disconnect the tarp and tie it off to the trees with a second ridge line to keep me dry, and to pack the wet tarp into a separate bag to keep everything else dry. Even though the tarp was wet and the shape not the best it worked well as a makeshift poncho while I carried my equipment to the car that was waiting. So when it is dry - I have the tarp connected to the hammock, but I always will run a second ridge line for the tarp in the future - in case it rains when I break camp.

The bug net did its job. No suckers got in - except for the ones I gave a free ride in when I entered the hammock. The bug net does not come off, so you cannot get the "under clear skies" feeling you get in the ENO. Yes, you can use it as a chair and lie in it double folded - but I would never try sleeping in it double folded. Maybe the ZIPped version allows for a "no bug net" sleep - I do not know.

Snake skins (3") - just love them. For my hammock they are a bit tight with the tarp attached to the hammock, but work beautifully without the tarp. I may go for a second snake skin pair for the tarp, or for a bigger pair for the whole set up. I do not know yet. But I love the snake skins...

Conclusion
    It's not for me to conclude what is best in your case. I know I'll keep them both. ENO for comfort under a clear sky, at a camping ground or indoors. HH will be used when tracking. Mostly because I have snake skins for it, but also for its bottom entrance in sloped terrain and less drag below the hammock. From what I've experienced in them, both systems give me good shelter from rain. I've yet to use them in winter as I have no under quilt yet... If you need something that could be set up as a tent - HH is the only choice of the two.

I hope this was helpful reading for you.
    Hang low, and hang secure!

PS! Sorry for the short reply...
    I love a good nights sleep as well as anybody - I just love mine elevated...

Quote Originally Posted by skilleman View Post
    Hi EZ!

Whoa - you are asking a big question...
    I've used the ENO for a year, and have used the HH Deluxe Explorer Asym since this summer. I must admit that the two are very different and have their own qualities. The following is my evaluation and stands for itself - others may differ or object, but as stated - this is my opinions.

ENO OneLink w/Doublenest + Insect Shield
    I love the nylon hammock. You can wrap yourself into the extra fabric and really enjoy hanging out in the open. It's breathing and quick to dry, but it does not take much wind for you to really feel the chill even in warm (20°C) weather. Bringing a sleeping mat into the hammock really ruins the great feel. You need an under quilt or something similar to keep warm in windy conditions - no news to many, but a nuisance when you did not bring anything but the hammock. There is no ridge line attached to the hammock, but it is not difficult to attach one.

In the Nordic Countries we do not sleep well without the bug net, except during winte time. The insect shield goes all around you. No risk being nipped in the but by the hungry suckers I've been using the sewn on pouches to carry the bug net and hammock, but it means that you have to tear down everything when you break camp - leaving you to set up all at the next camp site. Cut the pouches off and use snake skins if you need a faster setup/tear down process with the ENO set. The bug net needs a separate ridge line set up to hang from. A bit annoying, but I've not made a better system for this yet. Another challenge with the ENO is the hanging height. The bug net hangs down below the hammock requiring you to hang it higher up not to make the pouch or net dirty, but at the same time making entry into the hammock harder. On the hath it is impossible to hang the hammock high enough for the bug net not to drag down into the heather, and being able to get into the hammock without jumping. I'm 187cm high, and have an issue...

ProFly Tarp - It's a tarp and does its job well. I like the tarp to be disconnected from everything else as it helps breaking camp when it rains - and it rains a lot in SW Norway. The ProFly covers what it needs and works well in side wind. I have not had the misfortune to set up a hammock with the wind blowing in the head or foot end - yet... so I do not know how it works then.

NB! There is no way you can use the ENO as a tent. You will require the ability to hang this one up in order to sleep in it.

Hennessy Hammock Deluxe Explorer Asym
    First impression - the hammock is made of more durable fabric. It just looks and feels like the hammock to bring into the woods. Using your tracking poles at the ends you can make it into a tent - if you lack the trees to suspend it from. The fabric is not waterproof according to the manufacturer, but if you select your camp site with care, I'd think you'd stay dry - at least when the fabric is new... With regards to sleeping comfort, I'd say the HH is comfortable. You can lie in the HH in warm weather with some wind without feeling the chill too bad because of the thicker fabric - although you will get cold in the end.

"Birth channel entry" - felt strange at first but I like it. Suspending the hammock in sloped terrain on the heath works beautifully with this entry. I have no problems with the hammock dragging the heather. I was testing the hammock last weekend in bad weather. Heavy rain with strong nightly wind. I had the wind coming in from the side, and kept dry. With the tarp pulled down almost touching the sides of the hammock (when it was not blowing) a zipped side entrance would have been challenging and maybe wet due to the dew on the inside of the tarp. The bottom entrance was no problem at all - and with the sloped terrain I could stand full length under the hammock/tarp just outside the entrance. The bottom entrance is also enabling easy cleaning of whatever dirt you bring in with you. Maybe a ZIPped version with the bottom entry would be the best?

The tarp connected to the hammock as a part of the quick setup did not work for me. With heavy rain falling down I want to be able to pack down everything else and leave the tarp until I break camp. Using snake skins on the hammock with a wet tarp - I do not find the idea very tempting. I chose to disconnect the tarp and tie it off to the trees with a second ridge line to keep me dry, and to pack the wet tarp into a separate bag to keep everything else dry. Even though the tarp was wet and the shape not the best it worked well as a makeshift poncho while I carried my equipment to the car that was waiting. So when it is dry - I have the tarp connected to the hammock, but I always will run a second ridge line for the tarp in the future - in case it rains when I break camp.

The bug net did its job. No suckers got in - except for the ones I gave a free ride in when I entered the hammock. The bug net does not come off, so you cannot get the "under clear skies" feeling you get in the ENO. Yes, you can use it as a chair and lie in it double folded - but I would never try sleeping in it double folded. Maybe the ZIPped version allows for a "no bug net" sleep - I do not know.

Snake skins (3") - just love them. For my hammock they are a bit tight with the tarp attached to the hammock, but work beautifully without the tarp. I may go for a second snake skin pair for the tarp, or for a bigger pair for the whole set up. I do not know yet. But I love the snake skins...

Conclusion
    It's not for me to conclude what is best in your case. I know I'll keep them both. ENO for comfort under a clear sky, at a camping ground or indoors. HH will be used when tracking. Mostly because I have snake skins for it, but also for its bottom entrance in sloped terrain and less drag below the hammock. From what I've experienced in them, both systems give me good shelter from rain. I've yet to use them in winter as I have no under quilt yet... If you need something that could be set up as a tent - HH is the only choice of the two.

I hope this was helpful reading for you.
    Hang low, and hang secure!

PS! Sorry for the short reply...
    Thanks Skilleman

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Great comparison skilleman.
    One thing I would add as someone who has 5 Hennessys as well as a friend with an Eno, is that the Hennessy is pretty simple and straightforward to set up properly the first time around and have everything basically proper.
    The Eno has a significant fiddle factor to it.
    When setting up my Hennessy, it will probably take me about 10 minutes. I tend to take my time and quite enjoy setting it up.
    When my friend set his Eno up while camping for the first time (he had hung it town already), it took about an hour to get it hung to where everything was in the right place, and that was with me helping on and off while I set up the kids stuff. He can get it set up in a much shorter period now, but it still takes about 3 times as long as mine.
    Once his new hammock arrives, the Eno will be a designated backyard hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast