Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice from the experts: 3/4 Lynx or full length?

I just recently ordered a RR and CB. I'm trying to decide on an underquilt for this setup. Just curious as to what underquilt RR owners are using? What are the pros and cons of a 3/4 and full length UQ. I'm new to hammock camping, everything I know is from Shug's videos and this forum. Thanks to you all I'm spending more money on gear, which I thought was over with. The number of gadgets one could buy for a hammock is kinda scary.

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    Congrats on getting one of the premier hammocks, you won't be disappointed. I have 2, one a no net and one with a net. And not to deviate from your question, but allow me to throw some observations I've noticed when laying in the RR.

I was surprised when I was laying for the first time in my RR, that it wasn't as comfy as I thought it would be. That all changed when i slipped a pad between the layers. I don't know what it is, but when I did, the lay became perfectly comfortable, like laying on a flat cloud. I have noticed some others on this site mention the same thing. Maybe some of us like a little extra support under us when laying flat? It may have something to do with the fact that a pad doesn't ever move in it, unlike a pad in a gathered end? I don't know. Let me also mention I've been down to 23 deg with 2 pads in it and have been very warm.

That being said, my opinion on pads in the RR are definitely in the minority here. The consensus here is that the Lynx fits the RR like a glove. Several other UQs will be mentioned here in short order also. I will bookmark this thread because, if I ever get sick of my pads, I want to be able to read what others are about to tell you.

I just thought I'd throw a different perspective your way. Good luck!
    Last edited by outdoorsguy; 08-08-2013 at 20:01.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Pakman, it might be helpful if you can say at what temperatures / conditions you're planning on sleeping in your RR.

Aside from the down Lynx underquilts (both 20 & 0 degree) that Warbonnet sells, at least one other vendor makes a synthetic underquilt for the RR rated for 40 degrees. So the size and choice of an underquilt may depend a lot on the conditions.

For the moment, I'm very happy with my pad. But its still summer...

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I couldn't make up my mind and ended up with a winter full length and a 3 season torso length. They are both wonderful.

Sorry I wasn't any help.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0 / WBRR DL
    Tarp
    OMW/WBCB
    Insulation
    BurrowIncubPhoenix
    Suspension
    stock webbing
    I use an Incubator and it fits/works great.

I did order the double layer RR with bug net based on member comments of how well it worked with a pad. I plan on using a pad for warm weather and switching to an UQ in colder weather. The UQ I'm interested in is the 20* quilt. Has anyone used a combination with UQ and pad?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakman View Post
    I just recently ordered a RR and CB. I'm trying to decide on an underquilt for this setup. Just curious as to what underquilt RR owners are using? What are the pros and cons of a 3/4 and full length UQ. I'm new to hammock camping, everything I know is from Shug's videos and this forum. Thanks to you all I'm spending more money on gear, which I thought was over with. The number of gadgets one could buy for a hammock is kinda scary.
    It is a lot about real-estate in the backpack really. The 3/4 take up less space and that works for me. Some just like the full-length as they do not need to add a foot pad.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I ended up with full length, as I move around a lot when I sleep, and wanted to reduce the fiddle factor of a pad. The lynx is cut narrower due to the hammock design and weighs close to the equivalent 3/4 length for a gathered end, and still packs down pretty nice. Like sleeping on a cloud, nothing to move, nothing to get cold!

Cheers
    Last edited by Callahan; 08-09-2013 at 00:16.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner/Darien UL
    Tarp
    Spinntek Mamajamba
    Insulation
    TQ LeighLo/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UCRs

Re: Advice from the experts: 3/4 Lynx or full length?

I have the full length Lynx and I love it. It just clips on and your done. No fiddling with a foot pad. No dragging out a pad to insert. It just works and when it gets warmer I just add a double loop of heavyduty thread between the biners and the hammock (I just leave the loops on the hammock as they weigh very close to nothing) to allow for ventilation. Works like a charm.
    I have used my Lynx from about 20f on up to low 60s and it is the most foolproof and quick setup I have ever experienced. If course I am still pretty new to this hammock business myself.
    Life is short and then it's forever..

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I have the full length winter lynx-------it really is a beautiful set up! I bought the full length because Im tall, and tend to get cold at night. Since its so narrow and so well designed, it really doesnt take up all that much space. (works great!)That being said, I made a synthetic 3/4 UQ to use in summer. I used it last week, and worked fine. Its kind of a no lose situation. both options are really good!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast