Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic View Post
    ...I'm sure washing will solve my problem. I wasn't sure whether the hammock should be washed. After this I think maybe I'll wash any hammock I buy or make.
    I hope you're right! Many people are allergic to nylon though... Good luck!!!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Maybe a caterpillar left hairs on the fabric. Wash it well. I like gargoyle's suggestions, but read the warnings about combining benadryl with anti-itch creams. Do one or the other - not both.
    I had no idea about anti-itch creams and benadryl! I'll have to look into that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    +1 -- Wash your hammock. If you didn't wash the fabric beforehand, you may be experiencing a reaction to any one of the finishers (formaldehyde), fungicides or pesticides routinely applied to fabrics by manufacturers. These chemicals are applied to protect the fabric during shipping and storage and to give the fabric a nice appearance in the store.

Good luck and DON'T SCRATCH!!!
    I concur with this. I always wash my material first, on everything I purchase before putting it next to my skin. I'm allergic to darn near everything, but have yet to have a reaction to my hammock. I'm even allergic to down, but because of the ripstop on the UQ and the material of my hammock being barriers, I actually have no problems with it.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Fabric, especially in bulk, are treated with formaldehyde and a sizing to preserve the fibers and make them look nice and crisp in the store. It makes no difference what the fabric is, it is treated. Sometimes it has been so strong I can smell it. Washing a hammock, particularly with out a net is simplicity itself. That may take care of a mutltitude of problems, some of which you may not have identified yet.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Wash it well. I like gargoyle's suggestions, but read the warnings about combining benadryl with anti-itch creams. Do one or the other - not both.
    WV is right wash and RINSE, Very Well. I did not even think about Poison Oak or Ivy, shame on me. I was thinking of some sort of pollen or residue.

I use Benadryl spray, however the warnings on the container, warns against using the oral Benadryl and the spray or gel. If you do use both product you risk having too much product in your system which is dangerous.

Just for what it is worth I write down when I take any type of medication, even a lowly aspirin. I write down the time and the dosage taken.

A note about itching, creams, ointments and other topical treatments. Be careful you do not spread your itchiness all over your body. With Poison Oak/Ivy, you get the oil on your hand, touch another body part and you can infect that part. My cousin was out water skiing, someone was burning brush, lots of smoke, my cousin is very allergic to Poison Oak, he rubbed his eyes, the smoke had carried the Poison Oak oil which settled on my cousins hands and skin, he rubbed his eyes because they itched, he ended up in the hospital, his eyes were infected most of his skin, really a sick kid.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I always carry Benadryl both the spray (it works really fast) and the pills in a blister pack. I travel with a large dog who gets hot-spots when she eats the wrong thing or gets into some types of pollen. I just spritz the inside of her ears, the itching stops very quickly, much easier than the pills and it is direct to the itchy spot, instead of the body digesting the active ingredients, they go to work immediately.

I guess I'm allergic to my hammock. I washed it and rinsed twice and I still get a small rash of hives when skin touches fabric. I've been sleeping in my hammock every night save 2 or 3 since I bought it. My main reason for getting into hammocks is I enjoy sleeping outside and have the perfect place for it. I wear sweatpants,socks and use a light sheet under any part that touches fabric. I will just have to live with it and maybe someday I'll build a tolerance.
    There's no excuse for laziness...

but, if you find one, let me know.

It is possible that your skin is sensitive to nylon. I can't wear shirts that have polyester or nylon for more than a couple of hrs at a time because my skin will start itching and burning.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Try a table cloth hammock and see if it's any different.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12