Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

DIY Hammock & Tarp Done - Now to get Comfy...?

I completed my hammock last week and finished my hex tarp yesterday. Went out in the front yard and set it all up and it went well.

It did go up well although I still need to tweek my tarp suspension and come up with an easier method with my tech line. I did the "teardrop" shape wrap around the tree then back through the D-ring ending with a prussick knot. I'd like something a little easier to put up and take down but I wouldn't mind doing it without hardwear. Any ideas?

I still have my SRL adjustable so I can hopefully get comfortable in this bad boy. I have still failed to get really comfortable yet, I think I may need some sort of pillow for my head and possibly one under my knees? The mosquitoes are really bad around here right now so I need to complete my bug net and get a piece of reflectix for a pad and try it out another evening. My last attempt I was getting bit from underneath.

I'm pretty determined to get comfy, hopefully it will happen. I'm not anal or picky about my sleeping comforts and I see on here how so many people get to the point where they are really comfortable I just know that my sweet spot is out there somewhere.
    Trip Smith on Youtube - Used to be SailingandSuch
    https://www.youtube.com/tripsmith

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    The tarp looks great. I use a similar set up with my lines, but I just tie a slippery half hitch at the d-ring. I know you said "without hardware" but the tarp flys make things pretty quick and easy. As for the tie outs at the ground, check out the line loks. They are great.

As far as comfort, if you aren't already, try to put the head end lower than your foot end (I go almost a foot lower). For me, it makes a night and day difference.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingandSuch View Post
    I completed my hammock last week and finished my hex tarp yesterday. Went out in the front yard and set it all up and it went well.

It did go up well although I still need to tweek my tarp suspension and come up with an easier method with my tech line. I did the "teardrop" shape wrap around the tree then back through the D-ring ending with a prussick knot. I'd like something a little easier to put up and take down but I wouldn't mind doing it without hardwear. Any ideas?

I still have my SRL adjustable so I can hopefully get comfortable in this bad boy. I have still failed to get really comfortable yet, I think I may need some sort of pillow for my head and possibly one under my knees? The mosquitoes are really bad around here right now so I need to complete my bug net and get a piece of reflectix for a pad and try it out another evening. My last attempt I was getting bit from underneath.

I'm pretty determined to get comfy, hopefully it will happen. I'm not anal or picky about my sleeping comforts and I see on here how so many people get to the point where they are really comfortable I just know that my sweet spot is out there somewhere.
    Looks awesome.

Increase your ridgeline length to 83% and see how that works..I had to do the same for one of my hammocks made of the same material. That material stretches quite a bit and increasing the ridgeline length longer than what I normally use, worked for that material. Also, sliding up an down in the hammock can sometimes help you find the sweet spot..Sometimes when you're in the hammock you dont realize it but you're not centered correctly between the hammock ends..Took an extra pair of eyes for me to realize this. Also with this wider material, be sure not to pivot to far towards the sides or you will get calf ridge.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1oz Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Thanks Caveman and XTrekker for the tips.

-I will try that slippery half hitch next time, it seems like it may be a better way to go.
    -I did put the foot end a bit higher but maybe not 1' higher, I'll try that.
    -I'll check the hammock length and adjust the ridgeline accordingly, I haven't done the math yet.

Good tips, thanks gentlemen!
    Trip Smith on Youtube - Used to be SailingandSuch
    https://www.youtube.com/tripsmith

• + New Posts