Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings

Question Rainflys: Hex or Monsoon?

I like my ULBP, but I have the small asym fly and I'd like a bigger one ( fly that is )

I searched the forums for info comparing them, but didn't find much.
    I'm looking for two things from a bigger fly-

1. Be able to have a little space (around the hammock) to be able to get up and putter about without getting wet.
    2. Pitch it low when rain starts blowing sideways

Which would you recommend? I can't get a feel for how big the Monsoon is when spread out (not in closed up mode). Or is there another brand fly that works well with the Backpacker? FYI: I pitch my fly on a separate ridgeline, not on the hammock suspension.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    My wife has the typhoon and loves it. The coverage is complete. We also string it on it's own ridgeline. Our last trip with it we had several days and nights of constant rain as well as some heavy winds. Even the ground under her tarp stayed dry.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    There is no reason to confine your self to a Hennessy brand if upgrading from the stock tarp to a bigger one. At that point it will probably hang on it's own ridge line and be large enough that you will not be worrying about keeping it close to the tarp body.

OTOH you might be more inclined toward overcovers...

;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    HH Backpacker ultralight zip
    Tarp
    OWL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HH SS
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I've got the hex and find the coverage to be quite impressive. That being said, there have been days (very cold ones with blowing snow) that I have wished for the doors to keep things less drafty. I will likely end up just making a set of beaks (think they are called grizzbeaks?) for the hex. That would provide me with a spring/winter/fall setup. I find the stock tarp to be all I need for summer use.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I have the monsoon and find it smallish, the doors are a decent touch, but I purchased it during the October sale. For the other options out there there ARE better deals. The Monsoon is 10' x 7'1" @ 18 oz., look at the Wilderness Logics Tadpole, it's 11' x 7'6" @ 11.5 oz. and it's only $85, bigger, lighter and cost less! Want bigger? Try the WL Bull Frog, 10' x 10' with doors is 19 oz. and is $135. You have options, better options in my opinion.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I moved up to the hex from the stock tarp. It is pretty impressive. I have it attached to its own ridge line. You don't have to stick with one brand of course. I got the hennessy tarp because I liked it's looks, but it will hang over my ENO this winter when the bug net is no longer needed.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Most of the more talked about tarps on this site come with D-rings that will fit the clips on the HH suspension, but then if you're talking more room, including headroom, then you'll want your own suspension for the tarp - probably full ridgeline for a larger tarp.

Lots of choices other than the HH tarps. For instance, my Toxaway has similar dimensions to the HH Hex tarp, weighs over 4oz less, and is $40 cheaper. It has more aggressive cat cuts than does the HH Hex, so slight less coverage, but still plenty. Doesn't have the pockets to hold the line, though, but if that was a deal-breaker, you could email AHE to add them for not too much more I'm sure. Just one suggestions out of many possible.

Note that the HH Monsoon and Typhoon look small in specs (only 10' ??). They are less expensive, so I assume that is the case and would avoid. Should be great for enclosing yourself, but not for "puttering about". A Warbonnet Superfly is similar in weight, but with a longer dimensions.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB 1.9
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 0 Degree
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Not taking anything away from HH, but I have a Superfly...worth every penny, and uber-nice with the doors.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    WL OldMan Winter
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas whoopies
    I have the stock fly on my Expedition, while it performs adequately for fair weather I've had more than one occasion where heavy rain (not even sideways) created moisture problems for my UQ, even when pitched low. While preparing for a 60mi hike in Ontario with my daughter, and because of her concerns about privacy (there were some boys coming along) I bought the typhoon. This fly is a bit larger, and probably aqequate for me, but it didn't meet my daugther's privacy requirements, so a friend of mine (Stormstaff) let me try the Wilderness Logics OldMan Winter and I fell in love. It's a bit more expensive than the others, but I just spent 6 nights with it in N. Wisconsin, and despite nearly 48 straight hours of rain (straight down, sideways, upside down and backwards) my gear remained bone dry. The tent campers all spent the next 2 days drying their flooded tents, soaked pads and bags. I will be buying a second OldMan winter tarp and posting the typhoon (never used) for sale here.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I purchased the Monsoon (same as the Typhoon, just a little different size), I do not know why you daughter was concerned about privacy with it, my feet were the only thing that showed when I had the darned thing set up. I really disliked it, too dark, it was almost like a tent with no floor.

I did not think I could keep dry with a tarp but I figured it out with some practice. If I ever find my Typhoon, I will be selling it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast