Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Laurel Highlands Trail in Pa. August 2013

I thought I would sit down and give a quick report on the pennsylvania Laurel Highlands trail backpacking that Yoda and I embarked on starting on Sunday August 4th 2013.
    This was a SOBO hike starting at the top end ( near route 56 Johnstown Pa. area), and concluding at Ohiopyle Pa.
    After Yoda and I made arrangements with Happy Camper for our shuttling needs and having prepaid the required 4 bucks a night for the designated shelter areas, everything fell into place. I knew in advance that because of a family commitment later in the week that I would only be doing 50% of the trail at about 35 miles while Yoda would be through hiking the entire 70 mile length.
    yoda had his vehicle at Ohiopyle, and mine was at the trail parking area at route 31 ( about half way along the trail).
    After arriving at the trail head route 56 we began the SOBO hike.
    The beginning of the hike was a real good warm up as there was a big elevation change to reach the ridge top. There were a few vista views into the areas below but they were few and not very well opened up and cleared of vegetation which hindered viewing angles. The trail was well maintained and consisted of a mixture of rolling hills and flat areas.
    1st night was at the route 56 shelter where we had some difficulty getting water from the hand pump, so we filtered our water from the small trickling stream at the shelter area.
    Monday morning the 5th we started towards our next destination of the route 271 shelter. It became very evident to us that this portion of the trail has issues with water availability along the trail. The 40 oz that I was carrying was just barely enough to get me to the 271 shelter where we filtered water at a very shallow and barely trickling stream we found there. ( the hand pump at that shelter was broken).
    Tuesday morning the 6th after getting cameled up with water to our route 30 shelter designation, we started out. Again, there was no water on the trail and we arrived at the 30 shelter in need of water. The hand pump was intact, so we each tried a good solid 10 pumps on the Handel without a drop coming out. We stashed our gear, gathered up our water containers and filters ( sawyer filter and bags) and started SOBO to route 30 parking area in search of H2O. We met up with a wonderful elderly lady that had a home along route 30 near the trail access who offered us a fill up at her home. she was like an angel from heaven and we took her up on the offer. she invited Yoda and I into her kitchen and we were able to get all the water we could carry. When we arrived back to the route 31 shelter area we met up with other hikers that informed us that the pumps do work. But it takes 30 pumps to start the water flowing and we only tried 10 times each. A valuable lesson learned indeed!
    The morning of Wednesday the 7th we headed towards our route 31 shelter designation stopping along the way at a predesignated point to meet up with Happy Camper so that Yoda could be restocked with some grub for his 70 mile through hike. After getting his trail grub and spending some wonderful time with the angelic Happy Camper we proceeded to hike towards the route 31 shelter arriving just in time to get our hammocks hung before the heavy rains that we knew were coming kicked in.
    Thursday morning the 8th after shaking off our rainflys and packing up we preceded to the route 31 crossing where my vehicle was parked and I said my goodbyes and well wishes to Yoda for the remainder of his through hike.
    After arriving back at my vehicle and getting a fresh change of clothes I drove up to the Flight 93 National memorial which is about 40 minutes away from the route 31 parking area. I would strongly recommend that anyone hiking the LHHT that they take the time to visit the memorial and I am sure they will expose themselves to the same emotions that I did. The emotion of sadness for those people who lost their lives and the terror they experienced on 9-11. The emotion of pride and and respect for the Hero's on that flight who adverted the intend of the terrorist on board that flight knowing full well that there lives would be sacrificed to save untold others in our nations capital. And finally the emotion of peace and serenity of knowing that I was standing on Hallowed ground and that the events of that tragic day will never be forgotten.
    To summarize the LHHT :
    Is it worth hiking?--Yes
    Best part of hike---For the first half of the 70 mile hike I would say the section between the route 30 and 31 is the best for varied terrain and beauty. I am sure that when Yoda does a review he would have much to say about the Southern half of the LHHT.
    Shelters--A1
    Bathroom facilities at the shelters--The best ---complete with wall mounted hand sanitizer and TP.
    Trees--Plenty to choose from for hammock campers, but ya have to look.
    The bad--Water sources for the northern part of the trail and the lack of good vista views.
    Overall rating for the northern half--"B"
    Advice;
    Carry extra water while on the northern half if hiking July or August and practice your bear bag throwing techniques as I really suck. Long story, but I did a lot of kicking and yelling at trees.
    Have clean fresh clothes in your vehicle, put them on and visit the National flight 93 memorial at the conclusion of your hike.
    Pictures will be posted in the Near future.
    MML
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Here's a picture of you guys at the Laurel Summit resupply. MML, I do believe Yoda was describing your bear bagging skills.

Click to enlarge.
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 08-11-2013 at 14:51.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Very nice! Your a peach!!
    MML

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

I actually don't have anything to add to your wonderful post MML, I ended up getting off trail at the next shelter due to a family issue, all is good, I'm fine and so is everyone else. I have not had a opportunity to make the trip report post on my blog yet but will provide a link here when I get it done.

It was great hiking with you Betty, would absolutely do it again...

HC you are such a awesome person, your help made this trip so much more enjoyable, and the watermelon was a fantastic treat, thanks a bunch for that.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good news.
    That means when I finish the hike sobo from 31 shelter to Ohiopyle, you'll have to join me

John Denver--1943-1997

Re: Laurel Highlands Trail in Pa. August 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    Good news.
    That means when I finish the hike sobo from 31 shelter to Ohiopyle, you'll have to join me
    Sounds like a plan...just let me know ahead of time so I can schedule it with work!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I would add that there are big wood piles at each shelter area for camp fires. If you want to go really light, with the shelters at each camping area, you could go without a full hammock setup. Yoda and I were discussing this. Just have an ultralight tarp for shelter in case of emergency. -- Speaking as someone who broke foot in three places this summer simply by walking neighborhood and stepping in bad spot and rolling an ankle hard.

Bugs were out during this time of year and they liked Yoda better than MML!

MML and Yoda,
    For reference, could you talk about how early you got to shelters and where a hiker could plan more miles due to easy terrain or depending on if you are the type of hiker who can do more mileage?
    Last edited by HappyCamper; 08-16-2013 at 09:28.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Just finished my blog report, you can see it here if you like-

http://yodasoutdooradventures.blogsp...4-88-2013.html

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    I would add that there are big wood piles at each shelter area for camp fires. If you want to go really light, with the shelters at each camping area, you could go without a full hammock setup. Yoda and I were discussing this. Just have an ultralight tarp for shelter in case of emergency. -- Speaking as someone who broke foot in three places this summer simply by walking neighborhood and stepping in bad spot and rolling an ankle hard.

Bugs were out during this time of year and they liked Yoda better than MML!

MML and Yoda,
    For reference, could you talk about how early you got to shelters and where a hiker could plan more miles due to easy terrain or depending on if you are the type of hiker who can do more mileage?
    Yes that is correct, there is a huge wood pile that is cut by some agency (unsure whom they are), and this wood is available for use by any camper.

Since one must stay in the shelter areas (or tent sites), yes there are plenty of tree's for us hangers. One could feasibly go super light and stay in the lean too shelter's, some of course may object to this (even get ignorant about it), but I personally go out in the woods to hike and enjoy my time. My hammock is not a necessity, I can sleep just fine on the ground on a pad and have done so many times. But that is one's personal choice, which I honor and respect others sleeping decisions and choices (well as long as it ain't with me).

We actually got to each shelter area very early, almost always before 4pm, and once just after 12 noon (first day). The hiking was pretty easy, there were some ups and downs, but for the most part the trail was not as strenuous as I have countlessly (is that a word??) experienced on the AT.

As far as mileages go I would say plan on the miles as what you personally can handle, no matter if someone else determines them easy or hard, it is primarily a personal decision based on many factors. For me the times that we got to camp very early stinked and I wanted to keep going, but, the additional miles to get to our next shelter were a little out of reach for me in most cases. I think the only time that this could have been different was the very first day, I think I (we) could have made the extra miles to the second shelter without issue.

Yes the bugs loved me, darn gnats....

This was a very different hike for me (all around), and it was very much enjoyable.

• + New Posts