Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sewing machine problems

We're trying to make a copy of the Profly tarp with 1.1 silnylon. After researching on here, I bought a spool of Gutermann Tera 40 thread for Mrs K's Kenmore machine. We ran a ton of practice stitches and had a recurring problem with the bobbin mechanism eating the thread. I think it would eat and then cut a piece about six inches long that would end up getting mixed up in the stitches. We ended up going to a different (looks lighter/thinner) Gutermann outdoor poly thread that seems work better. We were using a heavy duty needle at first, but switched to a #9 for the lighter thread. It also seemed to work better when we were sewing a 7/8 (folded in half) grosgrain binding around the perimeter - but it wasn't immune to the problem either. Made many adjustments on the tension and stitch length. Is there a magic sweet spot with the thread/needle/tension/stitch length? Or does this sound like something else is wrong?
    Last edited by Knoxes; 08-12-2013 at 10:26.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    My home machines have more problems with Tera 40 than with lighter threads and I find it is a stronger thread than I need for tarps, hammocks, etc. anyway. Mara 70 is my go to thread.

I'm not familiar with Gutermann outdoor poly thread and don't find a listing under that name to tell me what it is. If it is a heavier thread than Gutermann Sew All, the #9 needle may be too small.

Before you try further adjustments to tension, thoroughly check the bobbin/hook area for any small bits of thread, lint, etc. It doesn't take much the screw up the stitch forming process. While you're in there look for any small burrs on the hook and the needle hole in the needle plate.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    I used Gutermann Upholstery thread that is 100% poly and rated for furniture use. Stuff is super HD, and I believe we ended up going to a 14 or 16 needle with it for clean stitches. I'd have to ask the wife as she did all the testing to get it right. Also if you have to do any seam ripping it good luck the wife broke her seam ripper trying to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    My home machines have more problems with Tera 40 than with lighter threads and I find it is a stronger thread than I need for tarps, hammocks, etc. anyway. Mara 70 is my go to thread.

I'm not familiar with Gutermann outdoor poly thread and don't find a listing under that name to tell me what it is. If it is a heavier thread than Gutermann Sew All, the #9 needle may be too small.

Before you try further adjustments to tension, thoroughly check the bobbin/hook area for any small bits of thread, lint, etc. It doesn't take much the screw up the stitch forming process. While you're in there look for any small burrs on the hook and the needle hole in the needle plate.
    It was probably the Sew All (looked at so many different threads yesterday...). I think the only thing that we made certain was the 100% poly. Assuming that we continue with this thread, is the #9 needle ok? I know that she has #11's as well.

Thanks for the suggestions - I've noticed quite a bit of lint in there. Didn't know these machines were that sensitive. I'll make sure to clean it out completely.

edited - she just texted me and says it was All Purpose 100% poly - definitely Gutermann. I wonder if that's the same as Sew All.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If the machine worked well before you started the tarp project you can probably trace the problem to the thread. Many home machines are not made for what is really intended as an industrial thread. Also make sure your bobbin is wound properly. If it is cross wound the layers will pinch and compress and will give you no end of problems. Stiffer, heavier thread can be a problem winding bobbins on a home machine. Overwinding the bobbin can also create major issues like the ones you reference. Trying going to just a regular weight sewing thread. It is plenty strong enough and more in line with the manufacture of the machine.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoxes View Post
    It was probably the Sew All (looked at so many different threads yesterday...). I think the only thing that we made certain was the 100% poly. Assuming that we continue with this thread, is the #9 needle ok? I know that she has #11's as well...
    It's probably fine with the #9 and certainly with an 11.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I had issues a while back when I switched to Guttermans and it turned out the problem was the spool was bouncin around on the spindle. My machine came with a lil piece that fit in the end of the spool and helped it stay still on the spindle. Problem solved.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Interesting. I'll try something like that.

Sewed about 20 feet of binding last night with the G Sew All thread. Only fouled once.

OK, 99% complete. And I'm thrilled with the results - I really thought that we(I) would absolutely derb this project. My stitching looks like Lindsay Lohan's driving, but it works.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Looks doesn't count, "it works" does...congrats.

Did you get the stitch problem worked out?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast