WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

A lot harder than I thought.

For the last several months I have been saving and watching every video and reading this site top to bottom. I thought I was ready...HA.

My RR came Saturday along with a bunch of other stuff including my SF tarp. The set up is kicking my you know what. The prussics will not hold on the continuous ridge line. This morning I wrapped 5 times, they will slide under pressure. A prussic needs, in a perfect world to have two different diameters of line, I am sure this is the issue. I am thinking of cutting the line and going with two seperate lines off the trees. I like the ability to slide the tarp where I want it to be, I really wanted the continuous to work.

I thought the tarp lines were supposed to be lower than the hammock, not gonna work.

Extremely frustrated and other than getting up from the ground with bad knees my tents were good to go. Second guessing my decision today.

Had to rant. Thanks.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    After a bit your CRL will work fine you need to work some of the slick coating off the line. I prefer 2 separate lines myself and tried several styles and types to find the ones I prefer. As for Tarp height I think that is a preference, I like mine low but if you want to be able to walk under you will need to hang high. I think you need to keep playing to find exactly what you are after.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro, BIAS WW DL
    Tarp
    Blue Cat
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Dyneema line is incredibly slick, it takes a while to rough up the outer layer and get the prussik to bite. I had the same issue with my homemade CRL as well. After about 3 hangs, it has started to bite and works fine. You might just try running the prussik back and forth on the line for a little while, see if that helps.

I'll agree that it definitely works better with two different diameters, but it is not 100% necessary.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    You might want to try using a "French Prussic" knot. A bit different, and it seems to give a better bite.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveonomo View Post
    For the last several months I have been saving and watching every video and reading this site top to bottom. I thought I was ready...HA.

My RR came Saturday along with a bunch of other stuff including my SF tarp. The set up is kicking my you know what. The prussics will not hold on the continuous ridge line. This morning I wrapped 5 times, they will slide under pressure. A prussic needs, in a perfect world to have two different diameters of line, I am sure this is the issue. I am thinking of cutting the line and going with two seperate lines off the trees. I like the ability to slide the tarp where I want it to be, I really wanted the continuous to work.

I thought the tarp lines were supposed to be lower than the hammock, not gonna work.

Extremely frustrated and other than getting up from the ground with bad knees my tents were good to go. Second guessing my decision today.

Had to rant. Thanks.

I all looks so easy in the videos. Like you, I've found that it doesn't always go that way. Keep trying. It will click and things will become easier. If all else fails, find somebody in your area for one-on-one tutorials.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement. I am still at it just got a bit frustrated this morning.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker.
    It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." - Ronald Reagan

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    is a tarp hook and flyz a possibility? i did feel the same as you when i started, but dutch's way is pretty simple, and it works.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Take a look at Dejoha's CRL
    The tarp can be slid fully left or right. You don't need Dutchwatre for this to work, any metal S-biner or other small connectors will do the job. Just make sure whatever connectors you use can take the stress. Plastic S-biners likely won't survive.
    Last edited by Jcavenagh; 08-12-2013 at 10:59.
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I'm using all of Dutches stuff already. The issue is the prussic, it slips. Gonna try the other one now and see what happens.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Re: A lot harder than I thought.

My prussiks are made from masons line. Seem to hold fine on zing it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast