Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Ohio,Aug.30-Sep. 2 Labor day weekend

Looking to get out over Labor Day weekend as I have a break in my classes. Haven't been out too much and I am wondering if I can get some recommendations. I am in the Akron area and expect a drive no matter where I go. Also if anyone is interested in tagging along please let me know as for now I am solo. The wife thinks I'm crazy!!!!

I know a number of great places around hocking hills if you would br willing to drive a bit. I would be up for a long weekend hang.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I've heard a lot of good things about that area and would love to check it out. I don't mind driving at all. Just looking to get some time out on the trails. Let me know when and where I would be glad to meet up with you.
    Last edited by DonRox; 08-12-2013 at 19:10.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Via Trail Runner

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...t=75763&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    I have 1 more vacation day to burn and am going to take it the Friday prior to Labor Day. I'm either going to head down to Wildcat Hollow in the Wayne NF or to Mohican SF Thursday afternoon after work.

If I get a chance to get out between now and Labor Day to familiarize myself with setting up my new hammock, I'll be headed to the Wayne NF as I prefer that trail and the option to camp anywhere in the forest. If I don't get out between now and then, I'll be going to Mohican that weekend. If its the latter, I'd be glad to reserve/sign up for 1 or 2 of the Park & Pack sites on Thursday afternoon for the Friday - Monday time frame.
    I'd be up for Mohican or try Wildcat never been there. Wildcat you have to cache of carry all your water from my understanding.

There is a place to hide water near a good camping area at Wildcat. Just off a twp. Road. You don't have to pack all your dihydrogen monoxide. I could place all the water needed for the weekend.

Mohigan would be fine with me also.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Wildcat hollow sounds good but I can't get out there until Friday evening.

With folks arriving at different times, it will be important to select a camp for Fri night. There is a nice pine grove just north of 455 where the water can be cached. That would be my suggestion. If you hike in from Wildcat Hollow TH, I think it is about 6 miles counter clockwise.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376412995.620844.jpg

Forgot to include the map on previous post.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    From the Mohican thread:

Quote Originally Posted by HomeMadeHiker View Post
    Good question, my wife and I wanna scope out the lower sights over laborday weekend.
    Since HomeMadeHiker and his wife would be coming from Indiana and are interested in Mohican and since there seems to be a few folks interested in getting together I'd be willing to alter my plans that jlink79 referenced above and just plan on going to Mohican regardless of whether I get out between now and then.

Perhaps someone should start another thread with a poll to vote for either Mohican or Wildcat Hollow.

If we end up choosing Mohican, I was thinking it would probably be a good idea to sign up for the camp site we want to use as soon as possible just to be safe. I live a little over an hour drive from there and could go there as soon as we decide (unless someone lives closer). I know that sites #2, #7 & #8 are no good for a group. I've never stayed at site #1, #5 or #6 and although I'm sure I've looked at them I can't remember whether they'd be adequate. I know that sites #3, #4, #9 and #10 would work well (site #10 is my favorite). Sites #3 and #4 do require you to cross Pine Run Creek, so depending on the rainfall we get between now and then, we could be doing a little wading.

If we choose Wildcat Hollow, the site that robblandon suggested is a good one and I believe he's correct on the distance if you hike the trail counterclockwise. As has been mentioned you either carry or cache your water there to be safe. There are many streams along or near the trail but they are usually dry this time of year and can't be relied on to be running.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    From the Mohican thread:

Since HomeMadeHiker and his wife would be coming from Indiana and are interested in Mohican and since there seems to be a few folks interested in getting together I'd be willing to alter my plans that jlink79 referenced above and just plan on going to Mohican regardless of whether I get out between now and then.

Perhaps someone should start another thread with a poll to vote for either Mohican or Wildcat Hollow.

If we end up choosing Mohican, I was thinking it would probably be a good idea to sign up for the camp site we want to use as soon as possible just to be safe. I live a little over an hour drive from there and could go there as soon as we decide (unless someone lives closer). I know that sites #2, #7 & #8 are no good for a group. I've never stayed at site #1, #5 or #6 and although I'm sure I've looked at them I can't remember whether they'd be adequate. I know that sites #3, #4, #9 and #10 would work well (site #10 is my favorite). Sites #3 and #4 do require you to cross Pine Run Creek, so depending on the rainfall we get between now and then, we could be doing a little wading.

If we choose Wildcat Hollow, the site that robblandon suggested is a good one and I believe he's correct on the distance if you hike the trail counterclockwise. As has been mentioned you either carry or cache your water there to be safe. There are many streams along or near the trail but they are usually dry this time of year and can't be relied on to be running.
    Problems with Mohican to consider:
    -Parking can be a problem. The lot for 7-10 is small and a forest ranger to us the last time I was there only two cars allowed per site. He said he could have towed excess cars. I have not found this rule on any web site.

-Sites can't be reserved. They are 1st come 1st serve.

-Labor Day weekend at Mohican will be extremely busy.

I am not sure how to solve some of these problems. Anyone have suggestions?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast