DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by robblandon View Post
    Problems with Mohican to consider:
    Parking can be a problem. The lot for 7-10 is small and a forest ranger to us the last time I was there only two cars allowed per site. He said he could have towed excess cars. I have not found this rule on any web site.
    I was not aware of the parking restriction but you are correct about the size of the lot. That said, people could park at the covered bridge and hike the Hemlock Gorge Trail to the mountain bike trail (name?) that sites 8-10 are located along. And the lot for sites 1-4 should be adequate for several cars.

Sites can't be reserved. They are 1st come 1st serve.
    I've seen that people have signed up for sites at the Ranger Station a few days in advance. I've never done it myself but the Rangers hadn't crossed out the ones that I've seen.

Labor Day weekend at Mohican will be extremely busy.
    We're likely to face the same at Wildcat Hollow as well but there's adequate parking and many places to camp beyond the established sites. I've never been to either on a holiday weekend so I can't speak from experience.

I am not sure how to solve some of these problems. Anyone have suggestions?
    I think the best thing to do would be to speak to a Ranger at Mohican and get specific info regarding parking and site signup directly from the horses mouth. Once we know that we can make a better decision. I'll dig up their phone number and give them a call tomorrow afternoon.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Ohio,Aug.30-Sep. 2 Labor day weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    I was not aware of the parking restriction but you are correct about the size of the lot. That said, people could park at the covered bridge and hike the Hemlock Gorge Trail to the mountain bike trail (name?) that sites 8-10 are located along. And the lot for sites 1-4 should be adequate for several cars.
    The Park and pack are the jurisdiction of the forest service and the covered bridge parking area is in the state park. Not sure the permit allows parking in the state park overnight. The Ranger we talked to told us the only way to use the park and pack with a group with more than two cars would be to park in Perrysville or Bulter and shuttle folks in. I don't see how that would work.

I've seen that people have signed up for sites at the Ranger Station a few days in advance. I've never done it myself but the Rangers hadn't crossed out the ones that I've seen.
    The ohio hanger group had a person show up at site 10 after we had set up and. Told us he had signed up at the kiosk for site 10 several days ago and we must leave because he had a group of boyscouts coming in. The ranger came after one in our group called for clarification of the rules. He told the guy the sites are 1st come 1st serve. We stayed.

I think the best thing to do would be to speak to a Ranger at Mohican and get specific info regarding parking and site signup directly from the horses mouth. Once we know that we can make a better decision. I'll dig up their phone number and give them a call tomorrow afternoon.
    Great idea. Not sure who you should call state forest service or state park. Maybe both.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith

My 2cents

http://ohiodnr.com/Portals/18/forest..._bro_9.pdf.pdf

Depending on what others think. I love Mohican hand have no issues going there, but I will be busy and maybe a loot of horse traffic. #5 is suppose to be nice. #4 itself is alright fo a few, if you go start to #4 from the main bridle parking you hit a pine forest and you don't have to cross the creek. #4 just might have a lot of traffic.
    So, #9 or #10 may be better sports for isolation.

If we want to be isolated (not disturb others) Wildcat might be better if we could get a load of water stashed then hike in. This would also give us a day hike of the north loop back to camp. Minus the water issue the only other thing that people should consider is that wildcat is out in BFE. If anyone need to make a quick town run it might be an issue with wildcat , where as Mohican is closer to town and a camp store.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I called the number for the Mohican State Forest and got dumped into a voice mail system, hopefully someone will return my message. The woman I spoke to at the State Park didn't have solid info as the Park & Pack sites are in the State Forest, a separate entity. Gotta love the govt.

I'm not confident of a return call, and I haven't been in the woods since mid-June so I'm just going to head down to Mohican this weekend for an overnighter and I'll speak to a Ranger while I'm there.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink79 View Post
    Minus the water issue the only other thing that people should consider is that wildcat is out in BFE.
    No doubt. And if you're coming from my neck of the woods and have never been there before, good luck finding it. Published maps don't accurately depict the roads once you make the turn off of OH 78 and the signs for intersecting roads down there are parallel instead of perpendicular, so finding the turn off is a challenge. Add in the fact that the sign for the road (name?) where you need to make the first turn off of OH 78 has been shotgun blasted (or just shot many, many times) and is mostly unreadable.

If anyone need to make a quick town run it might be an issue with wildcat , where as Mohican is closer to town and a camp store.
    I hadn't considered that. I will admit that the last time I was at Mohican I bailed on making my breakfast and drove out to the McDonalds that is a mile or two from the park.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I'm in for a possible to Mohican, or whatever. Doesn't really matter to me as long as someone can get me a good map if it's a spot I haven't been to yet.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    I'm in for a possible to Mohican, or whatever. Doesn't really matter to me as long as someone can get me a good map if it's a spot I haven't been to yet.
    You can get a free map of all 3 sections of the Wayne National Forest by calling the Athens Ranger District Office at 740-753-0101. They'll mail it to you for free (took 2 days to get mine).

You can get trail maps for Mohican at the office for Campground A, which opens at 8am. They have a free map and a much better one that they sell for $2 ... spend the $2.

You can get a downloadable PDF for every park in Ohio from BackpackOhio.com. I think they cost $5 or $6 each.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    I'm just going to head down to Mohican this weekend for an overnighter and I'll speak to a Ranger while I'm there.
    What is your plan? I just(today) got my new Jawbridge UQ and need to test it out. was thinking Saturday its to late tonight to get everything together. I'm thinking 9 or 10.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    What is your plan? I just(today) got my new Jawbridge UQ and need to test it out. was thinking Saturday its to late tonight to get everything together. I'm thinking 9 or 10.
    I'm heading out early tomorrow morning. I plan on getting to the kiosk with the signup sheet in the 7:00-7:15 timeframe to be sure I can get a site. I'll be signing up for site 10 if its available.

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    If I can Get myself together I might see you out there. First real hang sending PM for some advice.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast