DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Whoopie sling direction?

i know i've read this somewhere, but my google skills must not be up to par right now.

i know the dutch illustrated guide is to have the fixed loop of the WS larksheaded onto the tree straps.

is there any downside to larks heading the fixed end to the hammock, and then using the continuous loop larks headed to the loop on the tree strap? in my head, i'm thinking if your tree straps get sappy/dirty/etc. and you put them in a separate baggy, i'd rather not put my whoopies in there as well, or have to fuss with undoing that larkshead.

comments?

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    I would use a toggle and marlin spike then you could hang the adjustable side over the knot that way.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think you are confusing your terminology: there is a fixed loop and an adjustable loop on your whoopie. The Dutch illustration you are describing is probably the whoopie hook suspension:

This is the suspension I use on all my hammocks; I can disconnect my hammock from the suspension and keep it nice and dry, separate from wet or tree-sap afflicted suspension. There is no toggle required on the whoopie hook suspension because the fixed loop of the whoopie is larksheaded onto the tree strap.

Some people think it's harder to adjust the whoopie in this configuration, but I haven't had that issue.

With the fixed loop on the hammock end, you're now going to need a MSH and toggle (or Dutch Buckle) on the strap to place the adjustable loop. I've got both systems and definitely prefer the whoopie hook suspension.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    I love my whoopie hooks, makes keeping the straps and hammy separate super easy.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i should also clarify that i have dutch whoopie slings with whoopie hooks on the adjustable end. so that would hook onto the continuous loops that is larks headed to the tree strap.

i get the part about keeping dirty/sticky suspension separate from hammock, but that should really only include the tree straps, and not the whoopie slings themselves. the way i'm describing, the tree straps and CL stay together in a little bag, and then the hammock and WS stay together in a stuff sack.

let me know if i'm still not making any sense, i confuse myself sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I think you are confusing your terminology: there is a fixed loop and an adjustable loop on your whoopie. The Dutch illustration you are describing is probably the whoopie hook suspension:

This is the suspension I use on all my hammocks; I can disconnect my hammock from the suspension and keep it nice and dry, separate from wet or tree-sap afflicted suspension. There is no toggle required on the whoopie hook suspension because the fixed loop of the whoopie is larksheaded onto the tree strap.

Some people think it's harder to adjust the whoopie in this configuration, but I haven't had that issue.

With the fixed loop on the hammock end, you're now going to need a MSH and toggle (or Dutch Buckle) on the strap to place the adjustable loop. I've got both systems and definitely prefer the whoopie hook suspension.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post
    i should also clarify that i have dutch whoopie slings with whoopie hooks on the adjustable end. so that would hook onto the continuous loops that is larks headed to the tree strap.

i get the part about keeping dirty/sticky suspension separate from hammock, but that should really only include the tree straps, and not the whoopie slings themselves. the way i'm describing, the tree straps and CL stay together in a little bag, and then the hammock and WS stay together in a stuff sack.

let me know if i'm still not making any sense, i confuse myself sometimes
    You're definitely confusing me. Are you proposing that you remove the continuous loops from your hammock every time you tear down? For what purpose?

Are you suggesting that the whoopie hook connect to the tree straps? Again, for what purpose?

The setup is either:

Tree>straps>whoopie>Whoopie Hook>Continuous Loop on hammock.

or

Tree>straps>MSH/toggle>whoopie>fixed loop of whoopie directly onto hammock - no whoopie hook required.

or what I think you're proposing:

Tree>straps>continuous loop>whoopie hook>whoopie with fixed loop attached to hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post
    the way i'm describing, the tree straps and CL stay together in a little bag, and then the hammock and WS stay together in a stuff sack.
    Continuous loops are usually permanently attached to the hammock, so it's difficult to understand why you want them in a separate sack with the tree straps. Likewise, I don't understand why whoopie slings and hammock go in a separate stuff sack if you are using whoopie hooks.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    New River & Owyhee
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Sounds like he wants to do them backwards tree strap tied to the cont. loop to the whoopie hook to the whoopie peramntely attached to the hammock

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just make sure to Milk your Buries))))) so it does not slip.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Just make sure to Milk your Buries))))) so it does not slip.
    Shug
    I was always told that milking your buries would make hair grow on your palms.....

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    hehe, sorry for the confusion!! but your 3rd option, and also what craig said is what i was thinking about trying. my CLs aren't permanently attached to anything. actually, let's make this even easier. i just got all my dutch bling in the mail today, and nothing is hooked up yet, so here's a pic

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You're definitely confusing me. Are you proposing that you remove the continuous loops from your hammock every time you tear down? For what purpose?

Are you suggesting that the whoopie hook connect to the tree straps? Again, for what purpose?

The setup is either:

Tree>straps>whoopie>Whoopie Hook>Continuous Loop on hammock.

or

Tree>straps>MSH/toggle>whoopie>fixed loop of whoopie directly onto hammock - no whoopie hook required.

or what I think you're proposing:

Tree>straps>continuous loop>whoopie hook>whoopie with fixed loop attached to hammock.

Continuous loops are usually permanently attached to the hammock, so it's difficult to understand why you want them in a separate sack with the tree straps. Likewise, I don't understand why whoopie slings and hammock go in a separate stuff sack if you are using whoopie hooks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast