Treeboy

tree climber from kentucky

Greetings tree hangers

I'm 44 just saturday, a forester and a retired tree climber. Yes, the kind that uses ropes and a harness and other gear that you see in your neighborhood trees running chainsaws and generally improving your urban forest.
    Cheers to your forum, I browsed a bit, hit some links and i'm very optimistic about the direction I'm taking.
    I'm almost exclusively a kayaker fisherman now. Short targeted runs on know holes and ponds. I'm 5'9" and have a 38# malibu mini x.
    But once a year I go on a 29 mile trip with friends in canoes down the big south fork of the cumberland river. Huge watershed. And wild. No way to hike out, but relatively calm grade. class 2 mostly, but opportunities for other things depending on the cfs at put in and what happens before take out.
    So this year the water was at a level that the locals came out and took all the level camping spots.
    Not much of a deal for me, i have the moss gear tepee that i bought 10 years ago used that i can hang from a tree or use the center pole that came with it. And i carry a hatchet and a japanese saw. Bombproof. But me boys have these expensive light tents with big footprints.
    So we had to settle for a semi flat semi wet area and could have been absolutely screwed by a big rain that eve.
    And the whole time I'm thinking i used to sleep in hammocks out in the woods back in the 90's way before it seems to have been cool. I got eaten up a couple of nights, sure, but some nights I was just fine.
    Which brings me to my reason for introducing myself. I just ordered a dd hammock this eve with bug screening. And next year when we take our 4 canoes down the river, i'm not getting out the moss tent. It's staying at home. And it ain't even here yet, I just know.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome from the Jersey Shore.

Treeboy
    thank you. did you get crushed by sandy?

• + New Posts