DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

NX-250 compared to TX-250

I am planning on ordering one of these hammocks due to the great sale. I've been stuying the comparison chart on the Clark website and still have a few questions.

1. Does the TX-250 have the same under pockets as the NX-250? The chart says no but the description of the TX-250 says it has 4 pockets below.

2. As I understand it the NX-250 doesn't have the bug netting on the head end and the TX-250 does. Is this correct?

3. If I buy the weather shield for the TX-250 do I end up with essentially the same weather shield as the NX-250? Is the NX-250 weather shield removeable to the point that I could leave it at home if I didn't need it?

I'm in Atlanta where its hot. These two hammocks seem pretty similar. Initially I thought he NX-250 was the choice for me since I sometimes hike in cold climates, but if the underpockets are the same I'm thinking the TX-250 is probably the better choice for me since lower than 32 degree camping won't happen often for me. Any comnments on that?

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    My NX-250 does not have bug netting on the head end. I live in south Alabama and completely understand your hot weather concerns. I have camped in mine with daytime highs in the 90's and was comfortable. I have also camped as low as 23 and slept much better than I ever have in a tent. Hope this helps...probably a great choice either way you go.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    I am planning on ordering one of these hammocks due to the great sale. I've been stuying the comparison chart on the Clark website and still have a few questions.

1. Does the TX-250 have the same under pockets as the NX-250? The chart says no but the description of the TX-250 says it has 4 pockets below.

The TX has 4 pockets - the NX has 6 pockets

2. As I understand it the NX-250 doesn't have the bug netting on the head end and the TX-250 does. Is this correct?

That is correct. There is solid fabric at both ends of the NX

3. If I buy the weather shield for the TX-250 do I end up with essentially the same weather shield as the NX-250? Is the NX-250 weather shield removeable to the point that I could leave it at home if I didn't need it?

I do not know if the added-on weathershield for the TX is removable but on the NX it is sewn in - not removable.

I'm in Atlanta where its hot. These two hammocks seem pretty similar. Initially I thought he NX-250 was the choice for me since I sometimes hike in cold climates, but if the underpockets are the same I'm thinking the TX-250 is probably the better choice for me since lower than 32 degree camping won't happen often for me. Any comnments on that?
    Since in cold weather you will probably want more bottom side insulation than just what the pockets provide, the extra 2 pockets of the NX don't serve much purpose, unless you plan to use the Clark Z-liner. You would probably do well with the TX and the weathershield.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The TX, T as in tropical models, put the pockets out toward the ends of the hammocks. Toward, but not at the ends. So your torso legs will not have the pockets and their contents beneath them.

Per description from Clark and my experience with the old Tropical II, the hood at the head end is double layered, the primary layer being the same netting as over the body for all Clarks, with a layer of thin vapor and water permeable nylon fabric that sewn at the edges to that hood, but held up only by a Velcro tab, so it is easily pulled completely away.

I'm a fan of Clarks, but you should know that the mesh used for the bug netting is extremely fine, so it does impede breezes more than others, along with the smallest of midges.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies

additional questions

Thanks everyone. That info helps. I think either the NX-250 or the TX-250 would be just fine, but I want to get what will work best for me. The NX is a little heavy for my lightweight backpacking but its in the range. The standard XL tarp it comes with is too small for me and the tarp upgrade makes it even a little more too heavy. I'm a lightweight backpacker and I don't ever carry enough "extra" stuff to fill six pockets enough to insulate me. All my extra clothes would probably fit in one pocket.

1) Does anyone know if the optional weather shield on the TX-250 zips completely off and can be left behind. i wouldn't need it much and the weight savings would make a big difference.

2) Does the added bulk of the largest tarp still fit in the self contained compression wrap or do you need to put it in a separate stuff sack? I would guess a separate stuff sack might be advisable any way if the tarp is wet.

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    call or email clark

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Lite,

I went with the Tx-250, for exactly a lot of the reasons mentioned here. I do not see value in the z-liner pads, they don't have a lot of good reviews, I would not have a lot of clothing to fill 6 pockets of a nx-250. The four pockets of the tx-250 are pleanty storage for me.

I have used a wallyworld pad and a 0* sleeping bag down to 37* and was toasty warm. The comfort of a pad is not the best so I purchase used/new Hammock Gear 40 degree Phoenix torso length down underquilt... Wow does it fit the tx 250 great, kept me toasty @ 50* with a fleece top quilt, but this was as far as I might want to take this set up before you would get chilly. I feel I might be able to go mid 30* temps with. My 40* top quilt with the 40 degree Phoenix UQ. I have really come to like my down UQ & TQ, very comfy.

Don't let the T (tropical) designation fool you the TX is every bit a 3 or 4 season hammock with the right UQ & TQ, like most all hammocks with a quality UQ or TQ.

Unlike others I found the Clark Screening works great for keeping out bugs and letting in a breeze. I really like being able to open up the top hood for the head screen gives great view of the stars for those great rain free nights and I like the openness and extra movement of air over my head area.

The over cover and screen are not removable, I did nothing special and the over cover came with it? If you wanted it removable I sure one of the cottage business could do that with out a problem. 2QZQ Hammock Specialties is one that comes to mind, they have a forum right here on HF.

Good Hangin!
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Hammock
    Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Vertex
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Lite,

I like the vertex tarp, larger the better if you ask me, and I don't think it would fit in the built in compression sack. I keep them separate for the reason you mentioned.
    God bless! Brent

Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage.
    -- William Shakespeare

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
    -- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Hawkerev, Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate the info. I could probably modify the weather shield because I can do some sewing but I would hate to start hacking on what is a very expensive piece of gear. I like a big tarp too. Not a fan of the vertex, but you don't get enough credit for leaving it off (-$55) to buy anything significantly more to my liking without spending a lot more money ... The vertex is ok but I'd prefer something that didn't need 6 stakes. i do like the velcro on the ends. I'm planning on making a top and bottom quilt but for the time being will use a pad and my sleeping bag. Too much to spend all at once. I would guess that a pad will stay in place better in a Clark than in a gathered end hammock. I sometimes go up into the mountains in very late fall and the night temp will approach the mid twenties at higher elevations. I need something versatile and as light as possible for backpacking. The TX-250 seems more that way than the NX-250. I'm going to study over the two a little more before deciding. Actually the north american would be my choice if the bed size was the same as the tx-250. I'm 240, 6 ft and I think the tx would be more comfortable.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    I'm running out of questions, but I've got one more. Can an nx-250 or tx-250 be rigged without the hoops but with some extra cord (and maybe some added loops) to hold up the mosquito netting like the north american? I like the simplicity of no hoops to deal with...it would be nice to leave them at home if I wanted to. I'd guess those poles weigh at least 6 ounces.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast