Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    I haven't gotten a shipping notice yet but was warned when I ordered that it would be at least 5 days before the hammock shipped due to the sale. I don't plan to hack away at it with a pair of scissors to cut the weight. A 6 oz reduction from the ropes is almost half of the one pound I want to eliminate. That may be all I can do without getting drastic. Leaving one set of poles behind as someone suggested for the foot end would save a little but I'm not sure that would be worth it. The Velcro down both sides for the z liner may be another target since I don't plan to get a z liner. However the savings from removing that is probably pretty small. I've seen people go way overboard on a new piece of gear trying to reduce the weight. Without seeing it I'm inclined to believe that there aren't too many things you could do to make a difference.
    I think that is exactly right. You are getting a hammock with particular feel from a heavier bed. The pockets, which Warbonnet includes in the Ridgerunner model, with nary a complaint here from anyone, don't add more than the light fabric weight, < 2oz. I could wonder about extra fabric in the hoods because they are not tailored; but mostly I value that in my experience I have always been able to use smaller and therefor lighter tarp / rain fly on the fabric canoe I hang from, because blown mist and rain doesn't collect in the last 18" of either end.

Hammock
    DIY - Single Layer and Clark TX-250
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    I've got to admit that I'm a design engineer. I have modified a bunch of equipment to suit me over the years. People who hack something up before they've even used it are just shortsighted. But its fun to think about while waiting for the package to arrive. I considered replacing the zipper pulls with cord loops. Weight savings = about 1/8 ounce per pull. Definitely not worth it. As I mentioned before the ropes are the only obvious target that results in any significant weight savings.

My 20 degree sleeping bag weighs 3 lbs 4oz if you include the stuff sack. A nice top and bottom quilt should cut that weight way down. I've already started shopping .... any recommendations? I could make my own and just might. I would use high loft down instead of synthetic.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Quilts for weight saving.

Well, there you go. I'm good to 20F with a 40f top quilt -- a slit RAB top quilt similar in effect to a HammockGear @ 15oz. That + any good 20F UQ @ another 15-16oz.
    There's your 1.5 lb weight saving by shedding your sleeping bag.

Per Skurka and my own experience nightly, what you wear to sleep matters for at least an additional 10-15F comfort without changing fit and feel. Any additional layer of even minimal thickness is good for 5-10F, the first one keeping your quilt cleaner too. And a balaclava is essential equipment for both temp and extending clean life of the top quilt.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-24-2013 at 12:52.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    My tx-250 just arrived. I'll have to set it up this weekend. It looks like some nice gear, but I am disappointed about the weight. Based on the comparison chart I expected it to weigh 3#-6oz + 4 oz add'l for the vertex tarp (3#-10 oz.) . It actually weighs a total of around 4#-5 oz. The actual weight is off by 11 oz which is almost a pound. Thats not too close. I guess I'll call to ask about it tomorrow.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    My tx-250 just arrived. I'll have to set it up this weekend. It looks like some nice gear, but I am disappointed about the weight. Based on the comparison chart I expected it to weigh 3#-6oz + 4 oz add'l for the vertex tarp (3#-10 oz.) . It actually weighs a total of around 4#-5 oz. The actual weight is off by 11 oz which is almost a pound. Thats not too close. I guess I'll call to ask about it tomorrow.
    The 3 lb 6 oz posted on the Clark comparison page is without the 7.5 oz weathershield (see footnote on the chart) which brings it a lot closer to the weight you are seeing.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    Oh yeah... I forgot about that. That puts the weight to within a few ounces of the reported weight which is acceptable in my opinion. Thanks for pointing that out.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Clark’s web site gives 2 different weights for the TX-250
    On their Categories/3-season winterizable page they list it as: 4lbs - 2.5oz
    On their Categories/3-season page they list that model at 3lbs - 6oz

On their “Models Comparison” (pdf) chart, they list the weight as: 3lbs - 6oz.
    I believe that to be the weight of their standard 3 season model and not their “3 Season Winterized” model which has the additional weathershield.
    Their claimed weight of the weathershield is 7.5oz
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

The TXW-250 weighs 2lbs 13oz. (On my scale)
    That is without the tarp and i switched to whoopies for the suspension. I think the chart shows the tarp at 10oz. It should put the winterized vr at 3lbs 7oz with the tarp.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Yes, my cited weights are for the combined hammock w/attached stuff/compression sack, including the outrageously heavy suspension rope, tarp and all additional guy lines.
    Mine will be here tomorrow...
    Last edited by 1-Hung-Low; 08-29-2013 at 21:08. Reason: Added Tarp
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hen'sy Hex, Vertex
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Varies
    I forgot that the weather shield isn't included in the pdf chart weights (it is in the footnotes but since its been over a week since i ordered I forgot about that). My hammock is a little over the reported weights but most gear is a little overweight, so i'm not going to worry over a couple of ounces.

Here is what I learned about the weights when ordering ... the TX-250 is being upgraded to have a heavier bottom material so mosquitoes in South America can't bite thru the fabric. The new weight isn't reported in the pdf chart yet but it is on the tx-250 (non-camo) products page. the camo tx-250 hasn't had the new heavier design phased in yet and the camo products page has the correct lighter weights for the older design. All that said, the whole experience of not being able to figure out what I was buying would weigh was annoying.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast