Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Yeah I'm curious about hammock socks
    Honestly WV I never thought of putting my pack in the hammock and when I think about it I do have room. Might give that a go next round, something up in the apex to tie it off to.
    In my winter sock tent it goes on the floor, under the hammock, not in it. I hang the balance pockets of an Aarn pack from the ridgeline, but the main pack is too big to go there.

By "apex" do you mean overhead or at the end where the suspension attaches? If the latter, you should see the end storage areas of my DIY insulated sock. LDCakes helped me with a video of the whole winter system a couple of years ago that shows it.
    Last edited by WV; 08-13-2013 at 23:59.

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    On winter trips I've noticed a 2f difference in temperature underneath my tarp over the hammock . When its occupied, it can be 3f.

Sunk right down to the floor, set up as tent, I'm getting 5-7f also.

If I really want to warm a space, I prefer a Baker tent style setup using a fire as a radiant heat source.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Teegs missed a science class. There will be little loss to the ground. A layer of cold air will form as the hot air rises leaving the cold at the bottom. Then there is the insulation from sleeping pad(s), bedding and stuff.
    I wasn't commenting on the heat loss from the person in a sleeping bag, I was commenting on the heat loss from the tents inside air temperature. A cold layer of air on the bottom of the tent will still lose heat to the ground so long as the ground temperature is lower than the air temperature at the bottom of the tent. A large portion of the reason we use sleeping pads is because the ground is almost an infinite heat sink. You are right about one thing, the convective heat loss to wind is going to be much greater than your conductive losses through the ground.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by burtonator View Post
    I've read that tents can increase the internal temp by 5-10 degrees vs external temp.

I can't find any evidence of this online though.

I was thinking of this vs a tarp which wouldn't have that advantage.

I wanted to propose a new tarp design based on some thinking but I'd like to have some evidence that a wind break actually does boost internal temp.

Anyone have any links or experience on this?
    I have an inside/outside thermometer that has a probe to put outside. My general observation while tenting is that there is somewhere in the 5-10 degree temperature elevation in a tent if it's closed up. That said, that is based on my fairly cheap dome tent that is pretty leaky. I would imagine a better tent would have a higher temp difference.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    This is a great question...I think I will use my duel sensor thermometer next time I use my hammock sock this winter...Might even set up my 2 person tent and just to test this out also...Most tents are well ventilated to alleviate condensation build up so I would imagine that the temps would be close to the same from outside to inside..I think the big difference would be windchill effect. The tent acts as a barrier for winds that would normally strip the heat off your body. I also noticed this in my hammock sock, the temps felt almost the same from outside to inside. The biggest difference was the fact that I didnt feel the high winds that were rushing up the mountain side, on my last cold trip.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123