The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    I received an email from 1-hung-low saying that he contacted USFS and the head honcho for this jurisdiction has a strict no-hammock policy. What is this world coming to that people (who are probably more environmentally conscious than most of the USFS, btw) can't hang the way we want in forests our tax dollars pay to preserve :[
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    man that's a bummer if that's true. i tried searching around some, came across a couple of old posts where members have said they hung there. I wonder if something changed or perhaps they just didn't get noticed.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BroChaos View Post
    i might be. i might bring my wife/kids too if you guys are ok with that.
    Wife and kids are fine with me. I might bring some other tent camping friends too, depending on how much interest we get.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    I received an email from 1-hung-low saying that he contacted USFS and the head honcho for this jurisdiction has a strict no-hammock policy. What is this world coming to that people (who are probably more environmentally conscious than most of the USFS, btw) can't hang the way we want in forests our tax dollars pay to preserve :[
    I got the same message. Planning on doing some digging around to see how realistic this is a problem.

I've found in the past that these type of rules are generally meant to keep people from tying amsteel straight to the tree and slicing in. Using tree straps and sometimes as far as towels under the straps, sometimes satisfies the camp host.

I'll update here if I find out anything.

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    I just got off the phone with Captain Rose of the United States Forest Service head of enforcement within the Cleveland National Forest and encompassing campgrounds.
    I spoke with him about a week and a half ago and shared our concern about the rule by the superintendent in charge of the Cleveland National Forest not allowing hammocks, reason stated, “tree damage”.

After explaining to Captain Rose of the use of straps vs.: rope’s on the trees and the lack of damage therin, he contacted his staff of rangers via e-mail and asked for input and then had a meeting yesterday re: hammock camping.

After being educated in the use of straps instead of rope the general discussion was that they would not restrict hammock hanging. However, if there does appear to be damage to the tree, they will take appropriate action.

I did not address the use of rope/cordage/line used in the hanging of a rain fly. That could be another issue entirely.

On that note, I spent Monday night at the Observatory campground in my hammock. There is a camp host there but I do not know if she ever saw my hammock or cared.

I know dantotheman is trying to get a group hang at that campground on Sept 7 and I’ll let him talk about that weekend.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    thanks for checking that out! and for creating change!

I'm down for the 7th, lemme know!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Hey guys, sorry I've been a bit MIA on this thread. Also big thanks to 1-Hung-Low for clearing things up with the Forest service and letting them know that we just want to enjoy hanging and definitely don't mean any harm.

The observatory campground seemed to be filling up real quick (probably due to the "explore the stars" event) and from what I gather, some spots have very few trees so to keep the sky clear for star gazing. With that in mind, I grabbed a reservation in Fry Creek Campground for the 7th (next weekend). Its only about 1/4 mile up the road from the Observatory campground and from the pictures I could find, littered with trees. Our spot is at the far end, so probably only about 1/2 mile hike for anyone interested in checking out the telescopes.

So far, I plan on being out there and have 1-3 buddies that are interested in joining with one big tent. (Maybe we can convert them to hangers. ) Let me know who else is seriously interested in joining and we can start getting things organized. Maybe a group dinner or something...

Here are the pictures I could find. I also recently put together a DIY turtledog stand if we start getting too spread out and someone wants to give it a try.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    I'm starting to get my bag together tonight. Anyone else still interested in coming out this weekend?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Hey guys, I'm just about to head out. If anyone changes their mind, we'll be in site 18 of Fry Creek Campground.

Feel free to drop on by.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast