Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Aspen, CO Hangers

Anyone out here in my neck of the woods?

Going camping on friday with my sisters who are in town - will be my first real hammock hang (other then a test over the past weekend in backyard).

I am car-less, so getting out of Aspen is a bit difficult for me, but am looking to do a few more weekend Hangs in the beautiful mountains out - also in preparation for possibly doing some winter hangs this ski season.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    3-season yeti set
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Ever since relocating to Colorado over three years ago, I've been meaning to get up to Conundrum Creek, or even Crater Lake just a short hike past the Maroon Bells -- it just hasn't happened yet. What are some of your favorite spots around Aspen?

Depending on what happens with this potential Fall Hang, maybe I'll be able to make it up to your neck of the woods for a night or two in the woods before the serious snow starts flying.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird MC
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Never been up to Conundrum, but Crater lake is probably my favorite short/easily-accessible hike. Limited as to where I can go with out a car.

The Red Butte hike is also one I really like. Virtually in my backyard, but short - maybe a 30 minute round trip - but you go straight up, having to use hands and feet to get to the top - before reaching the end where there is a nice rock outcrop. Some of the best views of the valley from there - can see from Aspen to Snowmass, the Maroon Bells, Pyramid peak, etc.

I think I've also done the American Lake trail. Starts off steep, cutting back and forth through some beautiful Aspens, before leveling off a bit through a pine forest before finally getting to the lake. Quite a nice spot and looked like plenty of places to hang. Much bigger lake then Crater lake too.

There is always the Ute Trail, but you only do that if you're a glutton for pain. Takes you up 3000+ft to the top of Ajax (or Aspen) Mountain. A very steep trail, several switch backs, and doesn't get easy until you're done and ride the Gondola back down.

I'm not in the best of shape and the altitude out here really gets to me on those sorts of hikes. Let me know if you do come out here - would certainly be interested in doing an overnight during the weekend.

• + New Posts