Michigan Man lost in Northern Virginia...
    Hammock
    DIY "Bed Zeppelin", BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole & Dutch
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

Old Rag Mountain Hangin'!

Hey y'all,
    If anyone is interested in meeting up, I'll be hiking Old Rag Mountain on Saturday (8/17) and doing an overnight hang up near the cut off point. Heading up from the back side / White Oak Canyon side and taking a leisurely approached to the trek. I'll probably make the summit at some point and then head back down to make dinner and hang near the Byrds Nest 2 Shelter.

If anyone is interested, let me know.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Re: Old Rag Mountain Hangin'!

Did that same exact hike last year. It is wonderful, and the summit of old rag is beautiful.

Quick story when doing white oak canyon we were just hanging out swimming at the bottom of one of the waterfalls. All of a sudden, I hear my buddy let out a horrifying "oh!", followed promptly by a huge splash. I look up and there was a dead hush for about 15 seconds, felt like an eternity, when all of a sudden a kid emerges from the water and runs away. we see a kid at the top of the waterfall start to run away as well. The waterfall was approximately 50 feet high and I can't believe that kid survived! Whether or not he was pushed or slipped is not known, but he is certainly lucky to be alive.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Michigan Man lost in Northern Virginia...
    Hammock
    DIY "Bed Zeppelin", BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole & Dutch
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    Did that same exact hike last year. It is wonderful, and the summit of old rag is beautiful.

Quick story when doing white oak canyon we were just hanging out swimming at the bottom of one of the waterfalls. All of a sudden, I hear my buddy let out a horrifying "oh!", followed promptly by a huge splash. I look up and there was a dead hush for about 15 seconds, felt like an eternity, when all of a sudden a kid emerges from the water and runs away. we see a kid at the top of the waterfall start to run away as well. The waterfall was approximately 50 feet high and I can't believe that kid survived! Whether or not he was pushed or slipped is not known, but he is certainly lucky to be alive.
    Wow, I am a trail patrol member for the PATC and go to White Oak or Old Rag at least once a month. I think I know which Fall you are speaking of. Watched a group of kids jumping from the mid section one day. Hung around cause I figured I was gonna have to supply the first aid to their wounds. It would be an extremely luck and scary fall to go from the top.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images

Re: Old Rag Mountain Hangin'!

Wow, no kidding. Yea it was very scary. I can't believe he walked away from that. It must be the same incident, the waterfall in the story has a very sharp angle that you could "slide"down, approximately 20 feet. Then a true drop down 20 to 30 feet in to the pool below.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

• + New Posts