DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY

Question for BB pad users...

How low in temp can you go with just foam pad as an insulator? And what pad(s) do you use at various temperatures?

I'm trying to keep my setup as light as possible. Lowest temps I hang in are 20-30. Most of the time around 45 deg at night. I'm looking at getting a blackbird but to do that an underquilt is out of the question and I'll probably just use 40deg bag as a top quilt.

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    Well Zdank! My goal for tommorow nite is to try to hang overnite for first time outside with only a pad and a 20 degree sleeping bag used as a quilt. Shug has informed me when I asked this very question and he told me he got down to -7 degrees with pad or pads can't remember if it was one or two, and sleeping bag as overquilt. Plus the proper cloths. Send him a PM and I am sure he would answer your questions.

TY

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I think it depends on the pad. Blue CCF waffle foam from WalMart worked well down to 32-33F for me by itself. Two would have been good to lower temps.

I moved to sleeping quilts but will be carrying a pad as backup on some trips, particularly ones where I may end up going to ground.

Hammock
    Warbonet BB 1.1d, BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    Big MJ, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB quilts, Volara
    Images
    Using 3/8 Volara and 40 degree Montbell(seems like less fill than 40 but...) as a quilt and was ok at 40. Got chilled a bit, but and was sleepiing in boxers. I am a warm sleeper as well. I will go to 1/8 pad for summer just to have if I need to go to the ground for some reason. I tried no pad on last camp out because my son forgot his and gave mine to my daughter-dam near froze my ars off in 50ish.

You can get volara 60" wide by the foot for about 3.50 per foot for 3/8 ad 2.00 for 1/8. Cheep and seems to work great.

Images
    you can try it from here, i got a tiny sample, but it seemed like the 1/8" i had before which was pretty good. 1/4" might be good enough for most of 3 seasons, you might need 3/8". just figure you can probably get by in summer with 1/8"

a1 foam and fabrics
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 03-21-2009 at 09:08.

Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I think it depends on the pad. Blue CCF waffle foam from WalMart worked well down to 32-33F for me by itself. Two would have been good to lower temps.

I moved to sleeping quilts but will be carrying a pad as backup on some trips, particularly ones where I may end up going to ground.
    What choo talking bout lori? That word should be a swear (ground).
    Just kidding

TY

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLFER View Post
    What choo talking bout lori? That word should be a swear (ground).
    Just kidding

TY
    We Sierra Nevada hikers who intend to go over the crest have to be prepared for treeless regions... I haven't had the opportunity to figure out how to hang from granite yet.

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by zdank View Post
    How low in temp can you go with just foam pad as an insulator? And what pad(s) do you use at various temperatures?

I'm trying to keep my setup as light as possible. Lowest temps I hang in are 20-30. Most of the time around 45 deg at night. I'm looking at getting a blackbird but to do that an underquilt is out of the question and I'll probably just use 40deg bag as a top quilt.
    This weekend at our hang in congaree swamp I used a blue ccf pad from walmart in the pocket then I put my summer sleeping bag opened up and laid flat inside. I laid on top of that then used my winter bag like a quilt.

Friday night, it took me a while to get warm because I hadn't been sitting very close to the fire and I didn't take the time to dry my feet off. So, putting dry socks on didn't really do much good. I woke up a few times with cold spots, one time shivering. Mostly, this was because I rolled off the pad. I'll be ordering the pad extender shortly.

Saturday night, I had stuffed a survival blanket in the pocket beneath the ccf pad and made sure it extended well beyond either side of the pad. The summer bag was still under me with the winter bag used like a quilt. Apparently, as is evidenced by the recording of my snoring, I slept very well. I woke only once to go relieve myself and went right back to sleep. No cold spots after I got my bag situated.

The pad and emergency blanket cost me about 12 bucks at walmart. I slept very well. Temperatures got down to at least freezing because there was a 1/8" thick sheet of ice on the camp stove we were using when I woke up.

I'd say, at first, buy the ccf pad, if that's enough, grab the pad extender from ed speer or make one yourself to upgrade your pad a bit.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I agree with fulminated on the SPE ... segmented pad extender ...very light, gets the shoulder covered and will hold two pads (nearly any kind) together.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I went to the low 20's w/ a 1/4" layer of CCF 40" wide x 60" long (evazote) & a thermarest prolite 4. I did add a couple 10" wide strips on the sides to boost my shoulder protection to a total 1/2" thick.

Since that trip though I have purchased the Speer 4x4 SPE which should make it easier for me to keep the various pads in the proper place. I also hope that the SPE will allow me to customize the amount and placement of my pads to match the expected weather of the trip. If its going to be warmer I may only bring the Thermarest and the 1/2" CCF "wings" for the SPE whereas if its going to be cold (20* - 30*) then I'll bring extra CCF. I'm using the SPE for the first time in 2 weeks so I'll share how that works then. I also got a 2x2 SPE for my son's HH Scout because it doesn't have a pad pocket & I think the SPE will make it easier to keep him on the pads and warm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast