DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps

Tarps

I've been playing around with the sewing machine a bit. Recently started trying my hand at sewing nylon. I have no idea what weight it is, it was just a remnant at the local fabric store. I need to fiddle with tensions a little but it's getting there. I'm wanting to get, or make, a rain tarp for my tablecloth hammock. Right now, my local fabric store has this really thin grayish/brown polyester (according to the bolt label) that also has a ripstop patterning that is only $2/yd. Another slightly less local fabric store has a couple colors of ripstop nylon for $8/yd, but I can't verify the weight on that fabric either.

I've read the DIY silnylon thread and think I could easily do THAT portion of tarp-making. I'm still a little iffy on my nylon sewing abilities. My initial project is a pillow case for a travel/camping pillow which I should finish tonight I think. My question then is this, among DIY'ers have you noticed that it would have been cheaper to buy a nice quality tarp initially, or was the DIY tarp worth it in the end?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Well if you are solely doing it as a cost savings then I would say it isn't worth it unless you are on a really tight budget. Sil tarps are pretty inexpensive. However I made my first good tarp and I love it. It is made just to my specs and is still works and looks great after many years of service. I have since modded it with a pole mod. So if you consider pride of making your own gear part of the payoff then it is worth it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    The tarp I made this summer would have cost me at least $150 if purchased. Total cost for supplies, $40 including shipping and part of that cost was for amsteel for whoopie slings, not the tarp. Took about 6-7 hours to make and gave me some good time to hang out with my mom. Win-win for DIY.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Do you foresee yourself making more than 1 tarp? Like, a summer tarp, and a larger winter/bad weather tarp?

I ordered silnylon seconds from Noah Lamport (must call, not on web site) or about $3/yrd. For about $50 in fabric (plus maybe $10 in other materials) I made 2 tarps plus plenty left over for stuff sacks, snakes skins, etc.. Compare that to buying the same sized tarps from cottage manufacturers for $85 and $130 I'd say I saved a lot of money. I made each tarp working off and on over a weekend.

Plus I didn't have to fiddle with DIY sil

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Here's a reliable cottage vendor with good prices. You can contact him with questions. I'm just a happy customer, no other association.
    http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/p...oated-fabrics/

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11"
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Do you foresee yourself making more than 1 tarp? Like, a summer tarp, and a larger winter/bad weather tarp?

I ordered silnylon seconds from Noah Lamport (must call, not on web site) or about $3/yrd. For about $50 in fabric (plus maybe $10 in other materials) I made 2 tarps plus plenty left over for stuff sacks, snakes skins, etc.. Compare that to buying the same sized tarps from cottage manufacturers for $85 and $130 I'd say I saved a lot of money. I made each tarp working off and on over a weekend.

Plus I didn't have to fiddle with DIY sil
    Not entirely sure yet. I most likely will end up at least wanting more than 1 type of tarp. In your experience does the weight of the nylon (30d, 40d, 70d, etc) matter a whole lot when making a DIY? Assuming I get silnylon here and don't go the DIY route for the silicone.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zooshooter View Post
    Not entirely sure yet. I most likely will end up at least wanting more than 1 type of tarp. In your experience does the weight of the nylon (30d, 40d, 70d, etc) matter a whole lot when making a DIY? Assuming I get silnylon here and don't go the DIY route for the silicone.
    I forgot to mention the reason I asked about more than one, is Noah Lamport has a minimum 10yrd order. And be sure to tell them to ship off the roll to save shipping cost.

I don't know about denier making a difference. I believe what I got was 30d, and it was fairly easy to work with. Never even seen heavier materials.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm wondering the same thing... I think I want to sew my own just for the experience....
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Making a Tarp is a good learning experience. I made one for my GF and she loves it. It's also a good way to get your feet wet for more projects. Like making a grizz beak or doors for a tarp. My next project is a bridge hammock and I feel comfortable starting that project after making a tarp, a couple of hammock, a few stuff sacks, bug nets, straps, whoopies, various ridgelines, etc.

Start somewhere and see how interested you are on continuing your hobby.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 11&quot;
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ &amp; down bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; straps
    Here's my first attempt (with an actual purpose) at sewing nylon. Pillowcase for a small "travel" pillow that I plan to use with my sleeping bag or in my hammock. http://imgur.com/a/Ozxmz

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast