WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    ... My point was that the owners/cl pic had gobs of good organized gear. Folks like that are usually anal about keeping things up to snuff...
    But in this case, keeping it up to snuff does not prolong the life of the gears.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I'm about 1 hour north of Harrisburg. If you can have access to the machine for a test drive and would like me to go with you I would be happy to do so.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Wow, thanks for all the information, everybody. Turns out she sold it. I'm going to ask some questions about the 237 and 301A that were linked. I actually had my eye on those, but they're a bit saltier than I was hoping for. Ramblinrev, thanks so much for the offer! I'm going to be patient and watch Craigslist for a bit. If I see something that really piques my interest, I may be in touch. Thanks!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware

White Series 77

Alright, I've now seen 2 of these pop up... But I can't find hardly any information about them. Clearly older. Anybody know anything? It's a White Series 77.

Thanks!

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/atq/4002928818.html

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I have no direct knowledge on the White 77 but did a bit of googling.

White was a quality manufacturer and the series 77 seems to have some fans.

It comes with a zig zag attachment, but I would consider it as a straight stitch only (bonus if the attachment actually works well). The presser foot design appears to be unique and I'm guessing that none of the currently made feet and accessories will fit.

From photos on the net, it appears to have a friction drive motor rather than a belt or geared connection so you would want to check the condition of the rubber drive wheel. I doubt that a replacement can be had. (apparently I was wrong)

One of the nice things about the old Singers is that many accessories and maintenance items are still made. Because millions of them were sold, even the parts that are not still made are available from donor machines.

As for the pricing of CL items...I've always been able to buy items for less than they were asking. Make contact, offer a lower price contingent on a test drive and see if they accept.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 08-15-2013 at 20:22.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I have no direct knowledge on the White 77 but did a bit of googling.

White was a quality manufacturer and the series 77 seems to have some fans.

It comes with a zig zag attachment, but I would consider it as a straight stitch only (bonus if the attachment actually works well). The presser foot design appears to be unique and I'm guessing that none of the currently made feet and accessories will fit.

From photos on the net, it appears to have a friction drive motor rather than a belt or geared connection so you would want to check the condition of the rubber drive wheel. I doubt that a replacement can be had.

One of the nice things about the old Singers is that many accessories and maintenance items are still made. Because millions of them were sold, even the parts that are not still made are available from donor machines.

As for the pricing of CL items...I've always been able to buy items for less than they were asking. Make contact, offer a lower price contingent on a test drive and see if they accept.
    Great, thank you! At $75, and $125 for the other, probably not getting myself a bargain, then. Thanks!

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    My experience:
    I have sort of developed another very bad habit from playing around on this site. I seem to have developed a collection of Thread Injectors.

I have the Singer that opened this line. I had an awful time sewing on several thicknesses of Silnylon. All the other fabric went very well, two layers of silnylon worked fine, but more than that I had a mess.

I found a Signature machine from Montgomery Ward, the darned thing weighs a ton, I have to get someone else to pick it up for me, it is sort of like a German Tank. My first test was several thicknesses of Silnylon, it sewed through the layers just great no problems. I think I love it.

I have a Brother machine built for the Japanese market, I like it for most jobs, but not the several layers of Silnylon. I like all the chrome and dials, the machine does do basic decorative stitches without the added Cams.

Ramblinrev, I believe posted a nice guide for buying a previously owned thread injector.

I have had the best results looking in the Salvation Army Stores. I have found very nice machines for under $30.00 USD. Often the SallyAnn has half off days. I bought a beautiful Nicchi and its cabinet, it is vintage, mint perfect condition. Not a scratch, ding just like it was back when some lucky person brought it home. I paid $12.00 for the machine and cabinet.

Recently I see a lot more people searching for older machines, the competition is getting pretty thick. I have used my local Craigslist, but I have found that most of what I have looked at needs too much help to be worth carting it home. GoodWill is also too expensive and tends to have something major wrong with their machines.

Anyway here I am all the sudden with 11 sewing machines. LOL I guess all but the Nechi and the Signature are going to go on Craigslist.

If I were you I would have Ramblinrev go with me to make sure the thread injector will do what you want.

If it is a keeper, do not look at any more machines, just turn a blind eye to the rest of what is out there.

Oh, yes the last day of yard sales is a good time to bargain, or have machines given to you. Some of those machines, just need to be cleaned. However as a novice you should only pick-up something that works for you and is ready to sew for you. It can be very expensive to buy parts and repair, even then it might not work correctly for you.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks for the advice, HURTHEART! I'd offer to buy a TI off you if it didn't cost a small fortune to ship it across the country.

Hammock
    hh safari
    Tarp
    hh hex 1.3
    Insulation
    jacks nest
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by meckelangelo View Post
    Alright, I've now seen 2 of these pop up... But I can't find hardly any information about them. Clearly older. Anybody know anything? It's a White Series 77.

Thanks!

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/atq/4002928818.html
    White Rotary sewing machines are just like the common kenmore rotary sewing machines from the late 30s to mid 50s. They were made for sears by white and much of the parts are interchangable. Some of the features are full rotary hook and reverse. All metal drive no gears all linkage. Makes a very nice straight stitch. Most of the time the friction drive wheel has a flat spot from storage that causes a knocking noise while running. This wheel can be found at many on line sewing supply stores. One strange thing that some have trouble getting used to is the hand wheel turns away from you this is the only class of machine I have seen that dose that. These machines are tough primative and ugly but a lot of fun to play with.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG JEFF View Post
    One strange thing that some have trouble getting used to is the hand wheel turns away from you this is the only class of machine I have seen that dose that. These machines are tough primative and ugly but a lot of fun to play with.
    "Singer" spelled backwards is "White". A number of things on the White is backwards from Singer.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast