Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The jacket around the legs is just for extreme conditions. A few times before I resorted to the last resort rain jacket trick, I'd simply switched the Grizz beak to the other end if the wind would shift or I guessed the wrong end on set up. If I had a door sewn on one end I'd have to swap the tarp end for end. It isn't as much hassle as you think the way I have my tarp rigged. And an under quilt protector has it's place. With riding and not being concerned with the weight it wouldn't hurt to have one with you.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    Please give me your thoughts. I am making my Christmas list (yeah, gotta start early around here) and one of the items I am looking at is a bit more wind protection.

I have a BCUSA 10x10 tarp that I am not looking to replace but would like to add some wind protection to my hammock. I have read all the strings about picking a site, etc, etc but I do 70% of my camping off a motorcycle in a campground which does limit site selection/set up options. It also means that I don't have weight concerns, only space concerns.

Here are what I am thinking my options are. If you use one of these please tell me why, a bit about how/when you use it, and what you like/dislike about it. Also if you have another option short of replacing my tarp with one that has doors, please tell me what it is. I have read most of the threads on the subjects but would like to get a more side:side comparison.

2QzQ Grizz Beaks - These appear to be the ideal solution but cost more than the other two that I am looking at so I want to make sure I am justifying these on my Christmas list since it will mean not getting something else I would want

JRB DriDucks Poncho Weather Shield Modification - I was given one of these fully modified. My challenge is I use a HH with bottom entry. This is awkward to use but am going to have zipper mods over the winter so this might be a good solution. I do have concerns about the durability of the product so if you use this please let me know what you think.

MDSH Polycro Peak Beaks - I have been looking hard at these and while I believe they would keep rain off me, I just have concerns about them keeping wind off my backside since they are open in the middle. Thoughts?

Thanks for you input
    Debby
    I would have 2QZQ add doors to this tarp.
    If you think you will be in blowing wind/rain add a breathable UQ protector to that order.

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html

HTH

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    I have doors on my tarp and I have the 2QZQ UQP. If I had to choose between the two of them, I think I would choose the doors, because wind is one thing but rain is another. The UQP protects you from below which is great, but the doors will give you a shelter. I got the UQP mainly for my single-layer hammocks.
    Thanks Womble. Good feedback from someone who has both.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    I have some DIY Grizz beaks for a hex tarp. I like them well enough.

It looks like you have a square tarp. Have you tried to use the corners as doors? Just stake out the tarp using 2 of the tie outs in the middle and then connect the corner tie outs to a center stake.

This is a 12x12 set up in a similar manner. Not my tarp but would be a good solution if you didn't want to add more gear to your setup
    Thanks for the thoughts. I have tried it with my 10x10 but it is tight. I have a 12x12 but it can be tough to set up if the tree span is not good. In fact, I just ran into this in the campground where I was. Good thoughts...thanks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    The jacket around the legs is just for extreme conditions. A few times before I resorted to the last resort rain jacket trick, I'd simply switched the Grizz beak to the other end if the wind would shift or I guessed the wrong end on set up. If I had a door sewn on one end I'd have to swap the tarp end for end. It isn't as much hassle as you think the way I have my tarp rigged. And an under quilt protector has it's place. With riding and not being concerned with the weight it wouldn't hurt to have one with you.
    Thanks! I will do some more work with the UQP I have and see if I can make it work better with the HH bottom entry.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I would have 2QZQ add doors to this tarp.
    If you think you will be in blowing wind/rain add a breathable UQ protector to that order.

http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html

HTH
    Thanks for your input. I am going to mess around with the Dri Duck UQP I have to see if I can make it work with my HH BE better.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If you are using a bottom entry get a grizz beak for the head end. Pitch the tarp low and you have good coverage around most of the way. That way you can even pitch one of the foot corners high for better access. ;-)
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    UQ protector came from 2QZQ.
    I also stay protected from wind & rain under the tarp with my DWR/slightly breathable bug net rig. The ends and top repel water very well - woodland camo product on a close out from DIY Gear.

Last edited by SnrMoment; 08-15-2013 at 21:53.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    If you are using a bottom entry get a grizz beak for the head end. Pitch the tarp low and you have good coverage around most of the way. That way you can even pitch one of the foot corners high for better access. ;-)
    Thanks for your input.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    UQ protector came from 2QZQ.
    I also stay protected from wind & rain under the tarp with my DWR/slightly breathable bug net rig. The ends and top repel water very well - woodland camo product on a close out from DIY Gear.

Thanks so much for the picture. It is great to see how the UQP is rigged up!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast