Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images

HH Deluxe?

Last night I took advantage of our unseasonably cool weather (58*) in North MS and hung in the backyard. Seemed to have slept great most of the night. I did however wake up toward the foot end of the hammock this morning. At some point and time I slid down and my feet were practically in the end of the hammock, and at this point, I was not comfortable. With under 20 overnights in the hammock, is this just a common Noob mistake in hanging my head end a little too high. I sleep with a pillow as well. Could this have been a bit of the problem? Thanks for all advice you pros may have to offer!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I slide down every time that I don't hang my feet 6 inches +/- higher than my head.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I had the same thing happen my last camping trip. Put the foot end about 6" higher in the morning, and stayed where I was supposed to the next night.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images

HH Deluxe?

Great thanks guys!! Will make adjustments for tonight's hang!

Images
    You have diagnosed it correctly sir.

I'm going Friday night to enjoy the last bit of the cool nights were gonna see for a while. Sooo looking forward to it.

EDIT: Curious, what did you do for insulation - if you used any?

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    @DaddyDaddy I am experimenting with my DIY JCPenney UQ right now for an AT hike in the fall. It was perfect last night. It is a bit longer than my Jarbridge 3S and very light and packable. Kept me nice and toasty last night. Had on scrubs for sleep pants as well. Using the Walmart Down Mummy as a TQ and it is perfect. For 70$ you can't beat that thing. Over my Marmont, I would choose it any day. Has been pushed to 27* as a TQ with thermals and wool hat and I was fine that night as well. Not toasty, but not uncomfortable.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
    Last night I took advantage of our unseasonably cool weather (58*) in North MS and hung in the backyard. Seemed to have slept great most of the night. I did however wake up toward the foot end of the hammock this morning. At some point and time I slid down and my feet were practically in the end of the hammock, and at this point, I was not comfortable. With under 20 overnights in the hammock, is this just a common Noob mistake in hanging my head end a little too high. I sleep with a pillow as well. Could this have been a bit of the problem? Thanks for all advice you pros may have to offer!
    Exactly what happened to me on my first few hangs 6+ years ago out on the trail. I worked real hard to hang it level as per HH directions. The 2nd night I even had other folks eyeballing it for me to make sure it was level, after I slid down the 1st night. By the 3rd night, I was done with that and the experiments began to see how much higher I should hang the foot end. Rare is the non-bridge hammock that I don't hang the foot end a good bit higher. But I think it also all varies with the person, their body's weight distribution, and the hammock. So each person just needs to experiment.

One other variable to watch out for: the suspension length on each end if you are not perfectly centered. If your foot end suspension is longer than the head end ( head end closer to the tree), the foot end will end up lower than it would if perfectly centered. Conversely, if the head end is further from it's tree than the foot, the head end will tend to be lower. Perfectly centered is another thing I don't worry too much about. If I know I probably want the foot hung a little higher, then I just try to make sure the head end is not closer to the tree, or maybe even a little further from the tree, than the foot end. This will work to the same end as raising the foot.

I guess it is possible, but I don't remember ever thinking "Oh dang the foot is way to high" once I was in.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
    @DaddyDaddy I am experimenting with my DIY JCPenney UQ right now for an AT hike in the fall. It was perfect last night. It is a bit longer than my Jarbridge 3S and very light and packable. Kept me nice and toasty last night. Had on scrubs for sleep pants as well. Using the Walmart Down Mummy as a TQ and it is perfect. For 70$ you can't beat that thing. Over my Marmont, I would choose it any day. Has been pushed to 27* as a TQ with thermals and wool hat and I was fine that night as well. Not toasty, but not uncomfortable.
    That is cool (no pun intended). I know this will sound silly but I've got the cold temps figured out (40 and below) and the above 72* temps figured out (just don't hang) but we'll be in the low 60s Friday. I've got a virgin (never hammocked - careful guys - remember the TOS) that I'm taking with me so I want to make sure they enjoy the experience. I think a CCF pad will do nicely with a bag as the TQ.

Jealous of the AT you'll get in the fall.

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images

UQ 60's

DaddyDaddy, a few weeks ago, my wife used the HH undercover for insulation and it worked fine. It got down to 61* in the Sipsey. She did not complain a bit and used a marmont minimalist 40* bag for TQ. This was borrowed to try it out so now I am going to DIY a UC for myself and probably start using that in the early fall 60-70* nights. So DIY you a UC and give it a try. I am just not a fan of any pads unless the hammock is made for it (in my opinion only double layers) I have the HH double bubble that I am going to use in the low 20's this year between my UQ and the hammock. Has anyone ever tried this and what was the experience?
    Last edited by Chriss; 08-15-2013 at 13:20. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Sierra Madre Ninox
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10/Stratos
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Thanks Mr. Bob! Head end was definately closer to the tree as my spot is the backyard is a bit tricky. I will make that adjustment to try and center it a bit more and I bet that will be perfect.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast