Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by packdaddy View Post
    How does Coffee work? Do we have a Coffee Guru that will be showing off their camp coffee skill and sharing with all? This would be a very redeeming quality for those needing one.
    Sarge is The Coffee Master...

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    For Sarge.

I think this one is going to be a HYOH/BYOB/BYOF/BYOC Hang. Not really enough time to organize something big. Caveman's cooler is about as organized as we're going to get, and I doubt there is one gram of coffee in there---or anything else really useful for anything other than getting silly and keeping that stuff cold. We might have some sausage and tortillas around Friday's campfire. I'll bring the Yankee sausage I always bring.

However;

My pot and stove do boil up water pretty durn fast and if someone needs to use it to make coffee, or even cook food no worries there. Anyone who is in need of food or coffee or any gear, shout out---we're here to help and nobody minds pitching in. I do have extra food and coffee if there is a need.

Besides, it will give me a better excuse for being the last one packed than the ones I've been using so far.

As far as trail itineraries go, that's going to be HYOH, too. I've decided I'm not going to go for mileage as much as for time management and practicing hot weather strategies. I hope to get up early and get on the trail around 0800, hike until 1400, take a siesta during the hottest part of the day until 1700, eat supper at the siesta site , then hike in to the campsite from there. Its a great strategy. Its how the Mexicans won at the Alamo, but its also the reason they lost at San Jacinto.

I will head up as early as I can on Friday, cache water at Parking Lot #2, on Bethel Road where the Little Lake Loop crosses it, and at the Saturday campsite. I'll mark the campsite somehow so the guys who take a longer or shorter route can find it and we all end up at the same place Saturday night.

The water caches should allow us to drink liberally (and I'm talking about the water we not so that we don't die on Saturday, not the stuff you guys will be drinking to live it up on Friday) on the trail in the heat. I'll put a couple gallons at each place, and we should all put some in our cars so we can top off on our way out on the trail. There's also filterable water at the pond east of the campsite and south of FS211A, but its a bushwhack to get to it and having fresh bottled water is probably a better way, unless you just want to play with your filter (but I've got something you can squeeze if that's all you want to do).

Serious note:

Those of you who will be ingesting alcohol on Friday should pre-hydrate heavily on Saturday morning, and drink a lot of water on the trail, especially if you're planning on doing more than 3 or 4 miles.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Serious note:

Those of you who will be ingesting alcohol on Friday should pre-hydrate heavily on Saturday morning, and drink a lot of water on the trail, especially if you're planning on doing more than 3 or 4 miles.
    I'm assuming this was directed toward me I'll be sure and drink plenty before we head out saturday.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I do suspect you won't be the only one. Its just a precautionary note. Besides, I'm too old to be able to carry anyone out.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I thought that was what the wagon's were for?
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Wagon Master hasn't spoken up on this one yet. I think he's busy with school right now. I emailed Curlee and he has to work that weekend, but will be going out there on the weekend before, perhaps we'll hear from him regarding trail conditions, etc.

Hammock
    My DIY 1.9 SL ATACS-FG WB clone
    Tarp
    DIY Sil ATACS Hex
    Insulation
    Underquilt.com FL
    Suspension
    DBL StrapCarabiner
    Images
    Just read through this thread; I really needed a few chuckles, and some ROFLOLs. (First week back to school and all).

Sorry guys, won't be able to make it, although I will wait anxiously for the trip report.

Take it easy,
    gmcpcs
    Semper Veritas.

Hammock
    ENO Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Pro Fly
    Insulation
    DIY Pod
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Welp, I'm out. Had a family health issue come up and there's no way I'm bailing. Hopefully I'll be able to do something this 'winter'!
    You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views. - The Fourth Doctor

Hammock
    Hennesy Explorer
    Tarp
    Underground Hanger
    Insulation
    MARPAT DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Straps and dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Its how the Mexicans won at the Alamo
    they won because they brought 3 trucks, everyone knows that...
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    i wouldnt call underwear coffee "master"

Quote Originally Posted by BossLady View Post
    Hopefully I'll be able to do something this 'winter'!
    there is no winter you speak of in texas, only two seasons here. Death, and not so death.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly & Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Wanna B a hiker

I'd like to join in but will be a loner lady B and since I am a little (okay a lot) slow will hope that someone could leave crumbs so I don't get lost. Only saw one very complicated map posted on this thread. Could someone go over the details again (a little slower) and post a couple of maps?

I will feel better if I get to take Friday off and can get there earlier but in my business, one never knows. We were very late last time due to a client hospitalization.
    Bob and Bev

"The measure of a life is not its duration but its donation." Corrie Ten Boom

"Life is measured not by how many breaths you take but by how many moments take your breath away." attributed to a variety of different people

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast