Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

TX>Last Chance Hang>13-15 September>Lone Star Trail Section 1

I was going to wait until I heard back from a couple of people, but an email I received reminded me that "Hunting Season" begins for the bureaucrats on 15 September, so the last chance we will have to hike and camp on the LST this year will on that weekend.

We've tried to hang in Section 1 twice since the wildly successful First Butt Bake (and by that I mean the wild people were successful in being wild), but when we started to plan a second, more ambitious hike, we were foiled by bureaucratic bumbling, and the next try was scotched by the possibility of hellfire and brimstone.

So, we shall try again, but this time we will have Fear on our side. The kind of Fear that is inspired by these words:

"Sarge has a plan."

OK, its not so much of a plan so much as it is an observation: on the first hang, a dead branch fell on a guys tarp. On the second the Feds changed the dates of "Deer Season" on us. On the third, they threatened to set fire to the forest. But now, we are going to attempt a hike starting on Friday the 13th. What could go wrong? I figure that when we innocently plan a hang, we get hammered by Fate. So if we schedule something on a date where things are supposed to go wrong, Fate will not hammer us. See? Easy peasy.

So, now that we have both Fear and Fate on our side we can bravely make our foray into the forest. The general idea is to follow the plans made for the other two attempts: Park at PL #1 and hike a half mile south on the Little Lake Creek Trail to a campsite Caveman noticed when he hiked in to the First Butt bake. On Saturday morning, we hike back to the LST and hike a 21 mile loop that hooks up to the Little Lake Creek Trail back to PL#1, but camping at a campsite just south of FS 211A about three miles from the Parking Lot, and hike out Sunday morning.

One thing: a good portion of this hike is going to be through a Federally designated Wilderness Area, so we should be practicing LNT trail ethics. That means that, Spaceweaseal, you're going to have to leave the inflatable love doll behind. I know you're making money and all, and I appreciate my cut, but you know she always gets a hole punched in her by a twig or something. Even if you pick her up and pack her out this time, the ugly scenes when the last guy in line demands his money back kind of harshes the mellow around the campfire.

OK,

Who's in?
    Last edited by sargevining; 08-16-2013 at 07:56.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    LOL
    that's funny.
    I thought spaceweasel was making more money off that drunk charity?

I might be in.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I'm a maybe. I'll let you know for sure one way or the other when I know for sure one way or the other.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'm going to follow this thread with interest. (about the hike, not inflatables)

I'd love to get out but I already have a Sunday gig so my best hope is a Friday/Saturday hike/hang. I won't commit until I'm sure I can make it.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    I'm going to follow this thread with interest. (about the hike, not inflatables)

I'd love to get out but I already have a Sunday gig so my best hope is a Friday/Saturday hike/hang. I won't commit until I'm sure I can make it.
    Uncle Mike;

The great thing about this loop is that there are a number of places where one can take a shorter route back to PL #1. There's about 4 places you could turn off and not be more than five miles from PL #1.

Alternatively, you could meet up with one of us Friday and we could shuttle your car over to PL#3 or 4 and you could hike back to it.

Either way, you put in a few miles and still get back to the car Saturday evening.
    Last edited by sargevining; 08-16-2013 at 13:56.

Hammock
    Hennesy Explorer
    Tarp
    Underground Hanger
    Insulation
    MARPAT DIY stuff
    Suspension
    Straps and dutch
    i think i am forced to be here only because i am by nature (and sadly genetics) related to the originator of this idea.

This year the "Doll" was produced in Kevlar. Caveman likes to bounce around on things to test them out so that might cause some issues but you have the patches so it should be fine...

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Congrats on the new hiking partner, Space. You gonna be able to make this or are you still sterilizing bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    Congrats on the new hiking partner, Space. You gonna be able to make this or are you still sterilizing bottles?
    Thanks Sarge
    I am going to try and make it, even if its for one day.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    Thanks Sarge
    I am going to try and make it, even if its for one day.
    I thought you'd only make it if sarge gar-un-teed another one-on-one time between you and Father Flannigan..
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast