Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing here.

I meant you could replace the pack hook with a simple grosgrain loop, and use the cord lock like a "button". When it's under tension it would pull tight and not pull out. I'm thinking something like 3/8" grosgrain.

I think you're idea of putting it in-line with the hem, instead of perpendicular, is probably a good move.

I'm planning to put a couple PLUQ's together tonight. I think I'll add some loops to my hammocks and try this concept out.

Out of curiosity, Is you're under quilt flat, or shaped with darts?
    Sorry - didn't see the grosgrain part - as in "not paying attention". I have been fixated on shock cords this last week and misunderstood.

My uq's are shaped with darts. My smaller torso lengths (48") will need more loops or hooks in order to hang properly. I've already sewn in 4 extra 1/2" beastee dee D rings to compensate. So now I have 4 pack hooks and 4 D rings on the hammock. Sewing them inline with the hem seems to be much better - they get pulled tight as you say and not out.

Why the D rings? They also hold down my over cover. I did put 1/2" grosgrain loops on my other hammock which is for winter use only. They're spaced every 12" on both sides so I can hook up everything/anything.

When you get done with the PLUQ's, please post a few pics - I'd be interested in seeing them.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Yeah the UQ hooks are a great feature to add to a hammock...Been planning to add a set of the Dutch UQ hooks to my removable top cover hammock.

http://dutchwaregear.com/dutchware-u...ook-clone.html
    I just used mitten hooks, but don't know how well they'll hold up in really cold weather.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    **** that is good idea....I think that might have just solved some of my suspension woes....

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    **** that is good idea....I think that might have just solved some of my suspension woes....
    Thanks priller. It's nothing really new as Poppa Smurf uses it on his hammocks. I've had a handful of these hooks when Scott first started selling them. Just took awhile to figure what to do with them. It really saves a lot of shock cord and is dirt simple to add to a hammock.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I set mine up with the PLUQ I made. Because of the shape of the UQ, I ended up running shock cord in the side channels. I started like I had suggested, but the head end didn't shape well. I then pulled from each corner tab, and it was OK, but the sides were a bit floppy.

I added about 3/8" grosgrain loops (about 1.5" diameter) 16" down from the gather on my hammock.

My UQ has shock cord cinching each end channel, no cord lock needed, and about 7 ft in each side channel with a total of 4 cord locks. Insert the cord lock through the grosgrain loop on the hammock and it holds the UQ up. I am also going to run some shock cord from the corner tabs up to the cord locks to help position the quilt and keep it from scrunching.

Couple observations:
    1) Adjustable from with-in the hammock (!!!)
    2) Eliminate a small amount of shock cord vs traditional
    3) Keeps the UQ snug to the hammock, but you can still manually shift and adjust it.

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Great idea!! I am definitely doing this.
    1. Is there an advantage to using the pack hook instead of small grossgrain loops?
    2. My 50" DIY UQ has channels with shock cords, but I also sewed loops onto each corneer so I would have more suspension options. Instead of running shock cord the entire length, can I just attach 6-18" of shock cord to each corner and then attach the other end of the shock cord to the pack hook/grossgrain loop?
    3. You could also attach the sides of your UQ to the sides of your hammock about half way down. Has anyone found this necessary?

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    Great idea!! I am definitely doing this.
    1. Is there an advantage to using the pack hook instead of small grossgrain loops?
    2. My 50" DIY UQ has channels with shock cords, but I also sewed loops onto each corneer so I would have more suspension options. Instead of running shock cord the entire length, can I just attach 6-18" of shock cord to each corner and then attach the other end of the shock cord to the pack hook/grossgrain loop?
    3. You could also attach the sides of your UQ to the sides of your hammock about half way down. Has anyone found this necessary?
    1. No real advantage other than having a hook attached to the hammock permanently, so you don't have to use additional hooks/mini carabiners.

2. Sure, whatever works for you. My winter hammock has loops every 12 inches on both sides so I can hook up anything, but it's dedicated for uq's, top covers and socks.

3. Sometimes it's necessary, it depends on the hammock and the uq. My longer hammocks and uq's have this problem - solved with a few added D rings or loops.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    1. Maybe easier to attach the underquilt, but either way no extra hardware needed besides a cord lock. I use walmart ones on 1/8 shock cord.

2. If your underquilt is shaped the sides might not get tight to your hammock. Experiment with it and find what you like.

3. With LostBikers cull UQ I doubt it. With mine I think I still would have had gaps. Was easier just to use the side channels. Again, experiment if you'd like. If it doesn't work a seam ripper erases the mistake :-)

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Or, you could use small nylox buckles with side latches, for those who enjoying snapping carabiners over lines or hearing the click of those buckles.

The smallest and weakest ones will be the right ones, there being little load, and cheap and weak being a good failure point against errant loading.

However done, a big YES to getting rid of extra cord, whether loops of it, or dragging strings.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    By any chance, do the "pack hooks" go by a different name?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast