DIY Underquilt Reversal

Hello all,
    First post here at Hammockforums, been creeping for a while looking at info and DIY'ers. Lots of info here.

I have a question about a quilt that has all ready been made and would it be more efficient reversed?

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=542827http://

MAD777's UQ that has the baffles sewn though. (I tried to search "sewn" and "through" but imagine how many threads have those words in them). I was wondering on the same design but having the baffles against the hammock and the fabric that the baffles are sewn to on the outside. With minimal pressure there would be less air gap and the quilt would conform for to your body keeping you warmer?

I don't think that it really needs to conform to your body as much as it needs full loft and a good seal. If you have the baffles inward you will end up compressing the loft and having a less effective quilt.

-Loki

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    It's a great question. I know with my old mummy sleeping bag, I used it inside out as the baffling on the inside kept me warmer as it filled any air gaps but I may have lost some of the loft. That said, I was never cold in it, ever.

Lokbot mentions not needing to conform to your body but unless I'm mistaken if it doesn't form to your body you'll end up with cbs from the gap **Lokbot, is this what you meant by good seal?** . Of course without full loft you won't get full insulation so the discussion could go both ways.

But if you've got your UQ dialled in properly it should form to you anyway without the baffling reversed.
    Last edited by Brady; 08-17-2013 at 14:09. Reason: Added question
    Brady

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by lokbot View Post
    ...If you have the baffles inward you will end up compressing the loft and having a less effective quilt...-Loki
    ^This. With it reversed, the down will be compressed causing cold spots and overall loss of insulation value .

Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Lokbot mentions not needing to conform to your body but unless I'm mistaken if it doesn't form to your body you'll end up with cbs from the gap **Lokbot, is this what you meant by good seal?** . Of course without full loft you won't get full insulation so the discussion could go both ways.

But if you've got your UQ dialled in properly it should form to you anyway without the baffling reversed.
    I haven't ever needed to cinch the body of my quilt up tightly against my body. You need to have all 4 sides of the quilt up against you to seal out drafts.

So if you have your body, then a small airgap, then a quilt. Your body heat will be kept inside the quilt and will warm the small airspace as long as you have the sides sealed up.

That's just my experience.

-Loki

• + New Posts