Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz

Newbie + HH a "Beginner Hammock"?

Hi there,

I've read time and time again that Hennessy Hammocks are "Beginner hammocks" and I'm not sure I understand why.

Is it the suspension, the small tarps (but wouldn't a more practiced hanger know what to do with these, rather than a newbie)? Because from what I'm reading, people seem to find the actual hammock comfortable. Is it because it's already configured for you and you just have to lie in it?

I keep going back and forth between a mix and match separate bug netting design to the backpacker. I've held the HH Ultralight Backpacker in my hand along with the explorer, and I liked the weight, and size. it made sense for my thru-hiking style of camping. And at MEC we can get it cheaper than on the Hennessy site, so when I compare the pricing of my mix'n match possibilities and allot a bit extra for a larger tarp, I'm finding myself grimacing slightly. But then I think if I change out the suspension etc. etc... I don't know. Maybe I'm just being cheap for what I want?

I think I'm just overwhelmed at this point.

Images
    I was thinking the same thing last night as I was laying comfortably in my Hennessy. Mind you I have also ordered another hammock . I still like my Hennessy though.
    Last edited by SimonMc; 08-16-2013 at 22:05.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ploppy View Post
    I was thinking the same thing last night as I was laying comfortably in my Hennessy last night. Mind you I have also ordered another hammock . I still like my Hennessy though.
    But Mr. Ploppy, WHY? If you were so comfortable, what made you think you needed another one?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    I think it's just because it is very common for someone new to hanging to get one. There is nothing wrong with them, in fact, there are some people that swear by them and only use their HH. The reason that people move on is the same for everyone... you become a junkie
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    But Mr. Ploppy, WHY? If you were so comfortable, what made you think you needed another one?
    Do you have bower birds in Canada? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowerbird. They are known for gathering things for their nests. Same type of behaviour .

I liked the design of the Light Hiker Switchback so just wanted to check it out. It is not that there was anything wrong with the Hennessy. Now I am starting to build my own.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I dislike people referring to HH as beginner hammocks.. I have had several hammocks over the years and my UL Explorer is still my favorite hammock. They are just as good as any other brand. What matter is.. Are you comfortable? Some of the negative feedback people get are from people who are biased towards the other cottage vendors on the forums and don't like that HH has some made over seas. It is what it is.. HH got big and has done a lot for Hammock camping..

Hang your own hang and let people have there opinions. Your off the ground that's all that matters.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images

Re: Newbie + HH a "Beginner Hammock"?

I think the label mainly comes from the all-in-one packaging of the HH. You get everything you need for a relatively low price. The bottom-entry method is pretty much foolproof. The diamond tarp may not be easy to use in a serious storm, but is it's sunny, or there's just a moderate drizzle, it's just fine. And it's comfortable.

Once you've gotten used to hanging with a complete setup, then you'll have a better idea of your own preferences, and which upgrades, if any, are right for you. I started with a Hennessy, and my wife still has hers.
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Surprisingly my HH UL Explorer wasn't my first hammock. I tried a couple of old mil-surplus models and that almost turned me from hammocks. I still have the explorer and use it often.

+1 on the "all in one" monicker making people consider them beginner models. I believe other than the military that Hennessy was the first to package their hammocks with netting and a tarp ready to go in one package. They're a great place to start since the setup is kind of the middle of the road with respect to other models that are now available. You can get bigger, smaller, without nets, top entry, zippers, big/small tarps, lighter/heavier, and tons of different hanging hardware. It's all about your specific needs. While my HH was a "beginner" it now has a zipper mod, different suspension, and a different tarp. Hammocks are just like any other hobby where you can customize something.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    No bower birds here Mr. Ploppy, but I get your drift.

Thanks everyone for you input. I am trying to hang my own hang. Everything else (tarp, suspension, size, desired weight), seems to be so easy to decide on. It's the net! Do I want it integrated or not? I have no issues with the bottom entry, as I see it as a potential facilitator for putting on pants.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Surprisingly my HH UL Explorer wasn't my first hammock. I tried a couple of old mil-surplus models and that almost turned me from hammocks. I still have the explorer and use it often.

+1 on the "all in one" monicker making people consider them beginner models. I believe other than the military that Hennessy was the first to package their hammocks with netting and a tarp ready to go in one package. They're a great place to start since the setup is kind of the middle of the road with respect to other models that are now available. You can get bigger, smaller, without nets, top entry, zippers, big/small tarps, lighter/heavier, and tons of different hanging hardware. It's all about your specific needs. While my HH was a "beginner" it now has a zipper mod, different suspension, and a different tarp. Hammocks are just like any other hobby where you can customize something.
    This^^. Why do you say it's "middle of the road"?

Hammock
    HH Exploer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ + 2QzQ QP
    Suspension
    HH Dutch Buckle
    I am a noob too, but I love my HH Explorer. I have 7 nights in it and an order in to Dutch to make a few changes, but I plan on keeping it long term as it is extremely comfortable.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast