Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member hacktorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haymarket, VA
    Hammock
    Clark Expedition
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Posts
    391
    Images
    13

    Neo's Death Trap

    Neo, I tried your idea with the pad and windshield reflector. The temps went down to about 24*F. Wow, was it cold. I did get a little chilly, but not nearly as cold had I been using a UQ. For some reason the pads just tend to keep me much warmer.

    It kept me warm, yes, however, when I woke up my back was wet and so was the bottom of the hammock. I believe this is from condensation from covering my head while sleeping. I don't recall having this issue while using a pad alone, without the reflector. It seems the pads are breathable or something. I've slept with my head covered many times without any dampness what so ever.

    Come to think of it, I even had minor dampness issues while using a down UQ and a down OQ.

    Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening and turning my bed into a death trap?

    My first thought was to not cover my head, but I tend to get a lot cooler that way. Yes, I was wearing a hat. Maybe a baklava, and ski mask or something.
    Scott
    Never under estimate the wisdom of nature!
    www.ScottMacri.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,557
    Hack, you need a JRB Hood, not a thin fabric balaclava.

  3. #3
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,799
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    Neo, I tried your idea with the pad and windshield reflector. The temps went down to about 24*F. Wow, was it cold. I did get a little chilly, but not nearly as cold had I been using a UQ. For some reason the pads just tend to keep me much warmer.

    It kept me warm, yes, however, when I woke up my back was wet and so was the bottom of the hammock. I believe this is from condensation from covering my head while sleeping. I don't recall having this issue while using a pad alone, without the reflector. It seems the pads are breathable or something. I've slept with my head covered many times without any dampness what so ever.

    Come to think of it, I even had minor dampness issues while using a down UQ and a down OQ.

    Any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening and turning my bed into a death trap?

    My first thought was to not cover my head, but I tend to get a lot cooler that way. Yes, I was wearing a hat. Maybe a baklava, and ski mask or something.
    Hacktorious,

    The non breathable pads supplemented by the non breathable windshield screen are the root of the problem, as they trap the moisture put out by your body...

    If you really believe you had some moisture with UQ/OQ, then you are also too warm.... BUT STILL while you may need to reduce your moisture emmitance (Vent or use a lighter TQ).... The root problem is the non breathable bath tub shaped trap of your pads.

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

  4. #4
    Senior Member hacktorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haymarket, VA
    Hammock
    Clark Expedition
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Posts
    391
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Hacktorious,

    The non breathable pads supplemented by the non breathable windshield screen are the root of the problem, as they trap the moisture put out by your body...

    If you really believe you had some moisture with UQ/OQ, then you are also too warm.... BUT STILL while you may need to reduce your moisture emmitance (Vent or use a lighter TQ).... The root problem is the non breathable bath tub shaped trap of your pads.

    Pan
    Yea, but do you make a UQ in camo? I'd be using it and wouldn't be complaining so much if you did. lol
    Scott
    Never under estimate the wisdom of nature!
    www.ScottMacri.com

  5. #5
    Senior Member hacktorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haymarket, VA
    Hammock
    Clark Expedition
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Posts
    391
    Images
    13
    Honestly, I'd settle for a camo weather shield to cover the UQ.
    Scott
    Never under estimate the wisdom of nature!
    www.ScottMacri.com

  6. #6
    Peter_pan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    virginia
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Posts
    2,799
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    Honestly, I'd settle for a camo weather shield to cover the UQ.
    DDP is back in stock in green.... also sand.... Some blues are currently on back order.

    Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

    www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

  7. #7
    Senior Member RAW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    GA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps&dutch-clips
    Posts
    614
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    Yea, but do you make a UQ in camo? I'd be using it and wouldn't be complaining so much if you did. lol
    You can get the UQs in olive drab.

  8. #8
    Senior Member GOLFER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    western massachusettes
    Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    Posts
    323
    I know what you mean hacktorious,
    last nite when running my test camp, so to speak, I found even with a fleece balaclava on. My nose would get really cold. So to battle this I would pull the covers over my head which worked out to be pretty good. didn't have any moister problems at all other than back sweating a little bit. But thats probably because I had 2 half inch thick walmart pads under me. It got down to 28 degrees here with wind making it feel like 24 degrees.

    good luck with your trials.

    TY

  9. #9
    Senior Member hacktorious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Haymarket, VA
    Hammock
    Clark Expedition
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Posts
    391
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLFER View Post
    I know what you mean hacktorious,
    last nite when running my test camp, so to speak, I found even with a fleece balaclava on. My nose would get really cold. So to battle this I would pull the covers over my head which worked out to be pretty good. didn't have any moister problems at all other than back sweating a little bit. But thats probably because I had 2 half inch thick walmart pads under me. It got down to 28 degrees here with wind making it feel like 24 degrees.

    good luck with your trials.

    TY
    That sounds pretty good. Tonight I am going to try a double quilt setup. I could live with a dark green weather shield like the one Peter Pan mentioned. I will likely buy one when I get my next paycheck. That may solve all my issues. It will give me the extra warmth and blend into the surroundings.

    I don't like my gear to stand out like a soar thumb, especially when I am away from my camp. If I am out in the woods I don't want to risk someone walking off with my stuff. So I figure hiding is my best option.
    Scott
    Never under estimate the wisdom of nature!
    www.ScottMacri.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member GOLFER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    western massachusettes
    Hammock
    DIY Speer type,double 1.7blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    winter pheonix
    Suspension
    webbing
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    That sounds pretty good. Tonight I am going to try a double quilt setup. I could live with a dark green weather shield like the one Peter Pan mentioned. I will likely buy one when I get my next paycheck. That may solve all my issues. It will give me the extra warmth and blend into the surroundings.

    I don't like my gear to stand out like a soar thumb, especially when I am away from my camp. If I am out in the woods I don't want to risk someone walking off with my stuff. So I figure hiding is my best option.
    I hear ya there!!

Similar Threads

  1. Cool Trap Idea
    By Bling in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-14-2013, 18:33
  2. cuben trap
    By chattalotchuck in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 17:13
  3. Material for Trap?
    By MrDieselTwitch in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-02-2012, 12:36
  4. Booby Trap Creek
    By Bruciehi5 in forum Trip Reports
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 22:06
  5. Marlinspike over marlinspike? Possibility or death-trap?
    By timabababaluka in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-22-2010, 21:17

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •