Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

SHT Sept/Oct

Myself, Derozea, and my wife are looking to do a hiking trip sometime in Sept or Oct this year. Most likely Fri/Sat/Sun. After looking through the many options for backpacking up here (Sibley Peninsula) we started talking about the SHT.

None of us have ever hiked it, and two of us have never really done backpacking. Lots of canoe trips, and lots of bush experience since we both have forestry/wildlife and mineral exploration backgrounds.
    If anyone can give some ideas on good sections to hike for a weekend, preferably in the Northern sections it would be appreciated.

I also can't find much in the way of info on actually camping along the trail. With hammocks, do you need to stay at designated campsites, or just hang where you want?

If anyone is up for joining us and making it a mini group hang, you're more than welcome. Having two seasons of hanging under our belts, we'd still love to see other peoples setups, as well as meet some of the people we chat with on here every day.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Myself, Derozea, and my wife are looking to do a hiking trip sometime in Sept or Oct this year. Most likely Fri/Sat/Sun. After looking through the many options for backpacking up here (Sibley Peninsula) we started talking about the SHT.

None of us have ever hiked it, and two of us have never really done backpacking. Lots of canoe trips, and lots of bush experience since we both have forestry/wildlife and mineral exploration backgrounds.
    If anyone can give some ideas on good sections to hike for a weekend, preferably in the Northern sections it would be appreciated.

I also can't find much in the way of info on actually camping along the trail. With hammocks, do you need to stay at designated campsites, or just hang where you want?

If anyone is up for joining us and making it a mini group hang, you're more than welcome. Having two seasons of hanging under our belts, we'd still love to see other peoples setups, as well as meet some of the people we chat with on here every day.
    you really can't go wrong with any section. I'm sure more will chime in with their favorites, so I'll let that be for now. As for camping, you should stick with the designated sites as some of the SHT goes through private land. I've had to go off in the woods at a couple sites when they were full, but generally the sites are nice and work well.... also there are plenty of them!

Lastly, depending on when you're going I would be game to tag along I already have the 13-15th and the 27-29th in september marked off to go up there and then in October I have the 11-13 and the 25-27th.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks for the reply hikingdad! I know I'm booked on Oct 11-13 for a trip to Phoenix. I'll have to check on my out of town work in Sept. I know I'm heading out for a week after the Labour Day weekend, but don't know when I'll be back. I'll update when I know more on the dates.
    The other two dates are likely free for me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Trail is best from Grand Marais south. I hike it a lot and have many trip reports on it here....http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL42A47C8FBAB9C49A
    Here is a link to the SHT site http://www.shta.org
    Lots of good intel on there.
    You should order maps or get the Trail Guide. http://www.shta.org/store/home.php
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hey Shug. I spent a couple of hours on the SHT site last night. I so wish we had something similar up here. It would be awesome to see the SHT continue right across the border to Thunder Bay.
    Would you recommend the maps or the trailguide?
    Are you going to be hiking up there this fall?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
    Hey Shug. I spent a couple of hours on the SHT site last night. I so wish we had something similar up here. It would be awesome to see the SHT continue right across the border to Thunder Bay.
    Would you recommend the maps or the trailguide?
    Are you going to be hiking up there this fall?
    The trail guide gives details and milage. Good to study up. The small maps are a handy reference. The trail is well marked and signed and pretty easy to follow. Get both. Study the guide and carry the maps.
    I will be up there a couple of times this Fall per usual. Not sure when. Usually go during the week as it is way less traveled then.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I agree with Shug... get the guide and maps. They are very helpful in planning.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I was already leaning towards getting both. The price is incredibly cheap. I may just go all out and get the membership as well.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Trail is best from Grand Marais south.
    The Lake Walk between Kadunce and Magney is one of my favorite segments, though I know others that despise walking the rocks. There are several good spots for hanging with great lake views.

The section along the Devil Track river is pretty spectacular too.

I agree the sections north of GM are perhaps less worth the effort to get there. The shuttle only runs up there by request.

IMHO, the way to see the sections north of GM is to combine with the Border Route, which is definitely worth the effort.

--Kurt

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

SHT Sept/Oct

From Magney State Park on South is all good. North of Magney gets a bit thick with brush especially in the summer to the point you almost need to cut your way through with a machete. I personally haven't hiked any of the trail South of Castle Danger yet but have covered pretty much all of it to the Northern most section at one time or another. So many great sections. Hard to decide sometimes what to hike.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast