WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    No interest here but then I don't do facebook either. Was 6 years old when Sputnik was launched so the electronic realm is not of that much importance to me. I still have an old dumb phone that satisfies all my needs.

I like Greshes idea of starting one on your own and see how it is accepted.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    No interest here but then I don't do facebook either. Was 6 years old when Sputnik was launched so the electronic realm is not of that much importance to me. I still have an old dumb phone that satisfies all my needs.

I like Greshes idea of starting one on your own and see how it is accepted.
    I'm sorry, it's way off topic but I'm curious to know what it was like to ride a dinosaur to school.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    The ride wasn't too bad but getting the saddle on took some coaxing.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post

Why not do one, Trambo? Of course, leave HammockForums out of it (since you're not a representative of the HammockForums corporate entity), but do a "Hammock Hanging with Trambo" podcast or something similar with a focus on the topics that are what you believe to be the topics of the day in respect to current events on the forums...then post a thread to let people know it's out there.
    Honestly, I don't have to leave HammockForums out of it......
    part of the reason for doing it would be to promote the forum and
    the information contained within.

Of course, I would not be able to use articles that are within the
    Donating Member section, but all of the public sections are just that....
    public. I could also not call it the "Official HammockForums podcast",
    but unofficial would work.

I know that this would be a good way to get some more exposure for
    the hanging cause, and I would like HF to be a part of it. If that does
    not happen, then it doesn't. This thread is merely an invitation for the
    community to participate.

I agree with Dave that a wiki would be easier, as you can just open
    it up to let others modify it as they see..... wiki is just not my style.

We'll see how this all pans out, I appreciate the opinions.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I looked into podcast at one point. (Yes it has been discussed before.) It is more complex than one might think and the dedication to make it work is extreme. Unless one is driven to that kind of media it quickly becomes more chore than choice. A podcast is not the kind of thing you can throw open to anyone. It takes a lot of computer savvy and dedication to make work well.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    The problem is, this doesn't really mesh with the fundamental mission purpose of Hammock Forums.

Hammock Forums is about having a place that is a repository for knowledge about all things Hammock related. But since when did it become necessary to prosthelytize?

This forum isn't a club, or charity, or religious/philanthropic organization. Its purpose is not to go out and spread the good word about hammocks, and convert the un-knowing masses to the wonders of hammocking. It's here to act as a storehouse of information. Think of it as the Library of Alexandria, but with only one section - the hammock section.

Changes that make accessing, finding, and utilizing that knowledge easier are good to consider. But let's not make this something it's not.

That's not to say that podcasts and ebooks don't have their place, or aren't helpful. Many members have blogs and or youtube channels, that are more then helpful. At least one member has written a book about hammock camping.

If you want to make it your mission to convert tent folk to hammocks, more power to you. If you want to spread the word about the wonders of hanging between two trees - awesome. If you want to rally likeminded people to help out, and thus widen the impact of what you create can accomplish through a wider base of knowledge, even better. But to suggest that it's something that "Hammockforums" needs to or should do, I think, is where your thesis is flawed.

It comes down to your opening statement:

"to get our information and media out to more people."

Whether your suggestion is a good idea or not, that is not the purpose of this forum. Plain and simple.

Just my thoughts. And like I said - I don't think it's a bad idea. If someone were to make a podcast about hammock camping - I'd totally check it out. But do I think that it's something that Hammockforums as an entity has to or even should do? Definitely not.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Well, it really wasn't about Moderators leaving. That was such a minor portion of the entirety.

+1
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gresh View Post

Why not do one, Trambo? Of course, leave HammockForums out of it (since you're not a representative of the HammockForums corporate entity), but do a "Hammock Hanging with Trambo" podcast or something similar with a focus on the topics that are what you believe to be the topics of the day in respect to current events on the forums...then post a thread to let people know it's out there.

Talk to the forum owner and the two Mods before doing anything regarding the use of "Hammock Forum" in general. They hold the decisions, not us. Some of the members have been here a long time, and may not agree with what your proposing. I'm not saying it's wrong. It's just not how this community has become what it is. I for one am quit please with our member base and feel slow growth is better for us all in the long run. It allows us to "sort-of" pamper others into how this forum is run, and not like the free for all that other forums have on the net. Again I am reiterating the good that slow growth brings.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I am always curious about these types of threads that seem to assume that there is a need to market HammockForums, generate greater exposure to new audiences, focus on growing membership, or promoting some sort of mythical hanging cause.

I am all for providing information to those wishing to learn about hammock camping, but see no need to go out and proselytize in the name of attracting new converts. Focusing on new efforts that make information more easily accessible to the existing membership may make sense. IMHO

Edit: I guess I type too slowly. I agree with silentorpheus.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    First, let me address something Trambo said:

Honestly, I don't have to leave HammockForums out of it
    You don't, but you have to make certain that unless you have express permission from ATtroll that you're not representing yourself as a spokesman or anything like that for HammockForums. I'm sure HammockForums can be referenced in the material (since there's a lot of information here) but you couldn't give people the impression that you're a HammockForums "employee."

In regard to Alamosa's comment about there being a need for marketing for HammockForums, I've been told that part of the annual budget goes specifically toward advertising. Now, what that entails is beyond me...I've never seen HammockForums advertised anywhere, but the fact that it's in (what I've seen) of the budget indicates that there is a marketing arm bent towards generating greater exposure.

All of that said, I think it boils down to this: If there WERE to be a podcast (as I'm sure there won't be a "HammockForums" branded podcast), it would be best if it were in individual or small group discussing things focused on disseminating relevant information about the activity in general - advances in gear (such as Underground Quilts moving to offer duck down as opposed to solely offering goose down), new techniques for splicing fixed eyes in Amsteel (as was discussed earlier in the week), stories about attending group (or solo) hangs, and things like that.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Been messing around with some podcast ideas. Not 100% hammock but more on backpacking in general. Interviews...banter...palaver. I always enjoyed the style of Southeastern Backpackers before they stopped doing them. It was like listing in on a good discussion. Casual. Not know-it-ally.... is ally a word? They talked about failures on the trail as much as success. That made it very endearing to me.
    It would be more of a Shug-cast. Being on-camera has it's own challenges but doing audio actually requires a bit more pre-production. At least you don't have to pretty up yourself.
    Be fun to interview some vendors from here and also some of my hiking pals. Just talking to ordinary backpackers. Not just the hiking super-stars. Hear thier story. There will be humor but I want folks to feel free to cry as well.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast