DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images

DUCK DUCK.....DUCK!!!! Huh?? New Down Available...

Wanted to let everyone know that we have now added 700+ DWR Duck Down as an option. Due to the rapidly escalating cost of Goose Down we wanted to offer a more cost effective down. 850 Goose will still be available for those that need/want, but for those that don't, 700 Duck is now available, leaving more money in your pocket! Prices are CRAZY low compared to 850FP Goose, might be cutting my own throat here...

All pricing has been add to our website as well as full product specs with new weights.

Here is link to Specs/Weights

Why is Duck Down more cost effective? This is from our supplier....

Duck v.s. Goose

Although all birds have some feathers and down, virtually all down and feathers are harvested from geese and ducks. Geese, which are larger birds, generally have bigger down clusters. As a rule of thumb, the larger the bird and the colder the climate in which they live, the larger the down cluster and the higher the fill power of the down. High quality down can be found in both ducks and geese, as the age and climate of bird from different parts of the world dramatically effects its quality. Duck down and feathers are generally less expensive than goose down and feathers for two primary reasons: it's perceived in the U.S. market as slightly inferior in quality to geese, and the worldwide supply of duck far exceeds that of geese.

Grey v.s. White

Down and feathers can come in various shades ranging from pure white to black-speckled grey. Typically, the industry has placed a premium on white feathers and down due to its ability to visually blend in better when filled into white bedding products. American perception has also reinforced this premium on white down over grey; however, there are many grades of grey down that rival the best white down, as color of the feathers and down has no relevance to its quality. Additionally, a newer trend abroad is that consumers are favoring lighter colored bird meat and this is causing white down to become more available than in the past.
    Last edited by sr1355; 08-18-2013 at 22:07.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Wow. I think you might be onto something here. I will be very interested to see how these are received. I think it is great that you are exploring ways to innovate. A Zepplin might be in my future....

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    We had been researching this for past few months, have to say that I can't tell the difference between duck or goose down quilts unless I weigh the quilts. Final straw was a conversation with major retailers sleeping bag expert, they are already seeing most manufacturers switching to duck down with currently 50% of their offerings filled with duck down. They expect by next year that number will be closer to 90% based on chatter from manufacturers...
    Happy Hangin'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Squidbill winter t
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Any plans on selling the duck down by the ounce?

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide &amp; Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky &amp; GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    ....I have 2 ducks missing???

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    I am glad to see that someone is addressing the escalating cost of down quilts, with what appears to be a valid alternative. In my mind, UGQ is beginning to distinguish itself as a knowledgeable and innovative cottage vendor that really goes to bat for its customers. First, you introduced the DWR down, and now the duck down. Congratulations for thinking outside the box and trying to provide your customers the best product possible. I don't own a UGQ quilt, and just last week I ordered a TQ from another vendor. But for my next quilt purchase UGQ may very well be the place for me.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Suspension
    Readystraps
    Duck Down!

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Paul,
    Just to be clear 700fp goose down should weigh the same and be as warm as 700fp duck down. The reason you can tell a difference in weight in your quilts is because you are comparing 850fp to 700fp. Is that correct?

If this is as good as 700fp down I think it would be a great option for all but the UL crowd.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan.custer View Post
    Any plans on selling the duck down by the ounce?
    We will most likely be adding it as a possible option for purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitino View Post
    I am glad to see that someone is addressing the escalating cost of down quilts, with what appears to be a valid alternative. In my mind, UGQ is beginning to distinguish itself as a knowledgeable and innovative cottage vendor that really goes to bat for its customers. First, you introduced the DWR down, and now the duck down. Congratulations for thinking outside the box and trying to provide your customers the best product possible. I don't own a UGQ quilt, and just last week I ordered a TQ from another vendor. But for my next quilt purchase UGQ may very well be the place for me.
    Thanks you for the kind words, our goal is to deliver the best possible product for our customers budgets. Staying on top of current market trends, colors, products and down options is part of that. The introduction of this new down will allow you to purchase a well made TQ/UQ will the benefits of a quality 700 down without the uber high price tag of 850 Goose Down.
    Happy Hangin'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    Paul,
    Just to be clear 700fp goose down should weigh the same and be as warm as 700fp duck down. The reason you can tell a difference in weight in your quilts is because you are comparing 850fp to 700fp. Is that correct?

If this is as good as 700fp down I think it would be a great option for all but the UL crowd.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
    That is correct, one oz is one oz, the only reason for the weight difference we are seeing is due to 700+GDD versus 850+GGD. If we had access to 850+GDD there would be no weight difference. We have chosen to use a 700+GDD to offer a quality piece of gear, 700+ is still very nice down, at a saving to our customers. Even 700+GGD is sky high currently and seeing this trend from the major manufacturers has solidified our decision to offer this option.

Not everyone needs or wants 850+GGD fill, car camping, adventure touring, paddling, etc really do not benefit from the weight saving of 850+GGD. Extremely minor increase in size of packed quilt will not affect most users, I stress it's a very minor increase and all duck filled quilts fit in same size stuff sack as our goose down quilts.

For those that still want 850+GGD we have no intentions of not offering it and it will remain available.
    Happy Hangin'

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast