Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    I'm of the "cram it all in one bag" camp, but I like some of the other options.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    I took some leftover ripstop and made a sectioned storage kit much like Gresh's, only custom fitted for my stuff - each section holds; a set of tree straps, alum. toggles, tent pegs, and a spare section that holds emergency extenders/short length of shock cord etc.

The velcro closures keep it neat when in my pack and I can hang it over the tarp suspension instead of throwing it on the ground and losing things. When I'm packing up it's a simple case of checking to make sure that there's something in each section...

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I use a single line suspension (SLS) to which the tarp and tree huggers are left attached to the SLS. Managed to leave a set of huggers in the woods or lost them at home. So I followed Borntoroam's suggestion to permanently attach the huggers to the suspension. The SLS with tarp. huggers, stakes and lines in a tyvek envelope are stuffed in a mesh bag on the outside of the pack. This allows quick deployment of the tarp in the rain for a little dry spot to set it out with a cup of coffee. It also keeps the moisture and nasties on the SLS/tarp out of the pack. The hammock, bugnet and undercover/quilt are kept as a unit in a compactor bag in the lower compartment of the pack requiring only 2 soft shackles to hang from loops fixed to the SLS.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    Currently I disconnect the whoopee hooks and coil up the tree straps and whoopee slings and put them in the Cuben HG sack that came with my HG Cuben tarp along with my stakes. WBBB goes in a double sided HG Cuben fiber stuff sack. Tarp goes in outside pocket. Hammock goes in the pack with the TQ and UQ. Last, I put my hand on each of the trees I hung from and thank them for their support making sure they didn't hang on to any of my gear.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Made my OWN!
    Insulation
    Pad and Bag.
    Suspension
    Whoopies Slings
    OK I must admit I'm a leave it all tied and pack it in one bag kind of guy. However, after seeing the Gresh bag I'm starting to re-think my approach.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    WL TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    straps & whoopies
    Wow a lot of ways I could go about this. I think I like the whole roll-up idea that Grish showed. Gonna try something like it but a little different. Thanks

Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    I use a double ended bishop bag; basically a long silnylon tube with 2 draw cords on each end. 2nd set of draw cords are ~6+" from the end. Hammock and down under quilt are stuffed into the big middle section, draw cords tightened, then suspension apparatus is stuffed into smaller pockets on each end of bag, and end cords are tightened. Looks like a funny sausage, but it works for me.

At hanging time: open one end of suspension, strap to the tree, open the 2nd draw cord on that end and pull the hammock out towards the other tree. When the hammock is out of the bag, I open the other end and pull out the other end of the suspension. Leave the bishop bag on the suspension line.

Striking camp, do the reverse, unhook one tree, stuff cords into small pocket, walking backwards, stuff hammock and quilt into big section, tighten draw cord, stuff 2nd end of suspension into small pocket on other end, tighten end drawstring.

This system keeps wet cords off the hammock and quilt, but everything is in one bag. Mine stuffs to ??? 12" long x 6+" diameter???

Tarp is in a separate double ended bag. Open one end, pull out tarp tie, tie to tree, walk to second tree with tarp spewing out of bag, open 2nd end of bag, pull out other end of suspension, tie to tree, adjust to center the tarp. Do tarp first, center and level, then use tarp as guide for hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I never even considered detatching my straps. Shove it all in the bishop bag. Done.

I can understand this if they are covered in sap, but I prevent this in the first place by using a piece of bark or whatever is available.

What Dutch said.

I use his Whoopie Hooks ---well, not HIS whoopie hooks, but some of my own that I bought from him

I unhook one whoopie hook from a continuous loop that's in my Dream Hammocks Dangerbird and start stuffing the hammock toward the other end. When I get to the other end, I unhook that whoopie hook and seal up the other side of my hammock stuff sack. The hammock goes in the backpack.

I have Dutch Clips Ti on my tree straps which are larks-headed to my whoopies. I wrap those up and put them in a small stuff sack that goes with my tarp on the outside of my pack. So, I can get my tarp and my hammock suspension rigged before ever opening my pack. That comes in useful when it's raining.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it; we go to smooth it." -- Nessmuk

Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 102, Fayetteville, Arkansas

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    I use THIS. It's ridiculously convenient, and I don't leave anything behind because if there's an empty slot, I'm missing something.
    Thanks Gresh! I have a bunch of these envelopes that I didn't have a use for - now I do!

This simple "I don't care if it rips" bag is brilliant! I admit to being a cram it all in a sack person - and always end up losing something. Oh, and these envelopes make good ridge line organizers too.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast