One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti

DIY TQ dimensions and other ???s

I'm working on finishing my plans for some 20* top quilts and there are a few things I'm having a hard time nailing down. I don't have much experience with quilts or cold weather hanging at this point.

1) What is the consensus on the length of a gathered end quilt (height +?)? I saw that you looks about 12" with the gather, but other sources don't seem to support that.

2) Is there a formula or chart to figure out what foot width is needed for different shoe sizes?

3) Could someone explain why there is 6" added to the inner shell dimensions for the outer shell dimensions in the DIY Quilt Calculator?

4) What are the options for keeping my head warm? I'm switching from a military sleep system, so am used to having the mummy/hood stuff.

5) How much of a problem is condensation? How do you control it? I've seen some sort of fleece curtain in some Shug videos, but don't quite understand it.

6) What is the preferred foot-box closure? I'm thinking about omni tape at the moment.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I'm working on finishing my plans for some 20* top quilts and there are a few things I'm having a hard time nailing down. I don't have much experience with quilts or cold weather hanging at this point.

1) What is the consensus on the length of a gathered end quilt (height +?)? I saw that you looks about 12" with the gather, but other sources don't seem to support that.Gathering at the footbox will gobble up about 6" of length and then you have to account for 3-4" of seam allowances. Seems like I normally do height plus 6".

2) Is there a formula or chart to figure out what foot width is needed for different shoe sizes? Not that I know of. A finished girth of 36-38" seems to cover most folks. If you have a large foot I would go up to 42".

3) Could someone explain why there is 6" added to the inner shell dimensions for the outer shell dimensions in the DIY Quilt Calculator? I don't have that link anymore, but someone will chime in

4) What are the options for keeping my head warm? I'm switching from a military sleep system, so am used to having the mummy/hood stuff.Several options here. I prefer a fleece balaclava or beanie down to about 30 degs. Below that a down balaclava is nice.

5) How much of a problem is condensation? How do you control it? I've seen some sort of fleece curtain in some Shug videos, but don't quite understand it. I have never had a problem with it personally.

6) What is the preferred foot-box closure? I'm thinking about omni tape at the moment. For 20" temps, most folks go with a sewn, baffled footbox. Are you talking about using the omni-tape with a draw cord or using the omni-tape in an envelope style closure? If with a draw cord, it will work OK. I would make sure to use a plug of some sort for the opening at the draw cord
    My 2 cents.

Ryan

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    This is the calculator I was talking about.

I have average sized feet so the 36" neighborhood sounds reasonable.

I'll have to see if I can find directions for the sown in footbox. I was thinking the drawstring on the bottom and the omni tape on the side. Is there anything other than the little opening on the bottom that is a downside to doing that method and is there a advantage that out weights it?

Hammock
    DIY DL & GTUL
    Tarp
    Gear Guide 12x12
    Insulation
    IX UQ, CS TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

3) Could someone explain why there is 6" added to the inner shell dimensions for the outer shell dimensions in the DIY Quilt Calculator?
    So there's room for loft - assuming you're using ~3" baffles you also need the same 3" on the outer sides.

Code:
    S=shell, B=Baffle

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS <-Outer Shell
    S   B    B    B   B   B    B     B    S <-Bit of outer shell lenght each side
    SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS <-Inner Shell
    5) How much of a problem is condensation? How do you control it? I've seen some sort of fleece curtain in some Shug videos, but don't quite understand it.
    Shug's "frost bib" is just a piece of fleece that he hangs from the ridgeline and loops around his neck - the idea is that your breath will hit it first and condense there rather than on the outside of your TQ.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    MYOG Cuben
    Insulation
    MYOG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    This is the calculator I was talking about.

I have average sized feet so the 36" neighborhood sounds reasonable.

I'll have to see if I can find directions for the sown in footbox. I was thinking the drawstring on the bottom and the omni tape on the side. Is there anything other than the little opening on the bottom that is a downside to doing that method and is there a advantage that out weights it?
    Disadvantages of the draw cord foot box- Fiddle factor, not as warm as a sewn in foot box. Advantages- Easier to construct, allows venting options. You would probably be OK with the draw cord in a 20 deg quilt. YMMV....A sewn foot box isn't very difficult but will take a couple more hours to do.

Ryan

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    It seems that the calculator adds baffle (height*2)+2, and that's over and above the 2" seam allowance. Is there a possibility that you're supposed to sow the channels with that extra 1" on all sides? But if you do that, how are you supposed to have a nice rolled hem for strength.

I think I'll start with the draw cord, I can always sow it up at some point down the road.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    When it gets really cold I have a military poncho liner that I loosely wrap around my head. Works to keep my head warm. I have a problem with beanie/balaclava type hats getting twisted while I am sleeping so I only use them while hiking or around camp.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

• + New Posts