DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Chard, have you thought of Galeairy?

The reason I ask is that there's two ways in - you can go in from Rock with a very short portage (100 m) or you can come straight up from Whitney with no portages. That would suit those coming up from the southeast in that they could drive to Whitney and also suit those who would prefer not to have to portage.

The weekend after Thanksgiving, how much traffic is there still - although I do know of another group that's going in, they're headed for Provoking. I'm getting a lot of grief from them about not joining them...
    Hey Boot,

Yeah, I did consider Galeairy. Although it looks like a really interesting lake, I haven't paddled there myself because I've always thought that the sites there would be seriously overpressured given that same easy access to Whitney. I've usually found the most garbage (and yahoos) at those sites that don't require any portaging. When you add those motorboats 'dem portages look better and better. I've always tried to put a couple of portages behind me.

Now that we're leaning towards Pen, it's the riskier option. I think we might want to keep an eye on the numbers going down there. Even that late in the year, if Pen seems like it's filling up and the likelihood of getting those island sites dwindles, we might want to reconsider Parkside or maybe even Little Island. Let's keep our options open.

Also, the Rock/Pen portage is about 400m, but if that's just too much for someone to manage portaging, help will be there. One thing I've come to appreciate about the EGL gang, is that they're a good people.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    Quote Originally Posted by 80083r View Post
    prefer no or very short portage, but we're old, fat and lazy

I also vote Chard picks the location.
    You do know these are mutually exclusive right? Chard laughs at 1000km straight uphill portages and says it's not a fun trip unless there are 3 of them!
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    Web + Beckit Hitch
    Images

Re: Canada>Ontario>Algonquin>EGL Canoe Hang - October 2013 - Algonquin

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    (note: Old Boot's offered to possibly head in a day early to snag a site but needs a stern paddler). I
    I was planning to head in a day early as well. I will have to head out a day early though. I can be stern paddler for Old Boot.. As long as you don't mind paddling out with someone else Boot?

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    You do know these are mutually exclusive right? Chard laughs at 1000km straight uphill portages and says it's not a fun trip unless there are 3 of them!
    Ouch! Not entirely untrue, but ouch.

Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iguana View Post
    I was planning to head in a day early as well. I will have to head out a day early though. I can be stern paddler for Old Boot.. As long as you don't mind paddling out with someone else Boot?
    Well, it sounds like I should say "We're a motely crew, but welcome aboard Iguana!"

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    Hammock Universe Double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    EE RevalatonX 20
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    LOL

I'm up for the challenge, I've managed to borrow a fibreglass canoe instead of rotomolded, so it's just a matter of convincing my wife we don't actually need to bring a barbeque and the big screen tv.

I'm ok with portages, if there's help available - mostly to show me how to carry a canoe without hurting myself. I'm 6'2" and 270lbs, so no shortage of power, just drive and stamina

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 80083r View Post
    LOL

I'm up for the challenge, I've managed to borrow a fibreglass canoe instead of rotomolded, so it's just a matter of convincing my wife we don't actually need to bring a barbeque and the big screen tv.

I'm ok with portages, if there's help available - mostly to show me how to carry a canoe without hurting myself. I'm 6'2" and 270lbs, so no shortage of power, just drive and stamina
    Luckily for you, I understand there'll be canoe flipping clinics every half hour on the hour at the north end of the Rock/Pen portage.

That reminds me of a time, one rainy, slippery morning many years ago on that very same portage, where I tried to flip the canoe up, slipped on the rock and almost killed myself!!! Good times!! Good times!! I guess it's like sky-diving, bungee-jumping or grizzly-slapping.. It's the portages that almost kill you that you remember most dearly
    Last edited by Chard; 09-10-2013 at 13:54.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Chard picking is the location is good for me.

I'll be looking to rent a canoe. I'd prefer to solo but could be convinced to partner up if needed (though the voyageur sounds interesting).

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Iguana View Post
    I don't mind at all! As long as I'm in the bow with someone who knows how to steer and can carry the canoe on the portage, I'm good. Maybe there's someone else who has to come in late and stay til Sunday that can do the return trip.

I did my first canoe trip after 38 years the other weekend with a borrowed paddle. I'm now the proud owner of my own 22 oz cherry laminate that's the right size for me... Maybe some day I can be in charge of steering again!

Question for Chard - are you doing a spreadsheet for canoe partners & arrivals/departures or what's the scoop.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    Question for Chard - are you doing a spreadsheet for canoe partners & arrivals/departures or what's the scoop.
    We've generally done the partnering on the thread's Role Call. Seems to work well so far, particularly since many of us follow these threads on mobile phones. Let's throw out an update...

Role Call - Thursday (2):
    1. Iguana/The Old Boot

Role Call - Friday (15):
    1. Chard/Bubba
    2. Jayson/The Boss
    3. Quiet - solo
    4. Kasuko
    5. Wolvaroo
    6. ggreaves +1
    7. keg
    8. Chenvre
    9. Hotone +1
    10. 80083r +1

Possibles (3):
    1. Joster +1
    2. Cedar328

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Just to clarify, I'm sure quiet will be soloing.
    Edits above
    Last edited by Chard; 09-10-2013 at 17:35.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast