Quote Originally Posted by Hotone View Post
Starting to get close now, little over 3 weeks to go. I have dehydrated some meals for the trip already. Been practicing my dry baking skills. Thankfully I have two kids to test any muffins I make and ensure an honest opinion.
Sounds great!! I have to say the EGL hangs have had some fine cuisine over the years; weinee wellingtons, goulash, double smoked pork chops, steamed trout, chowder... mmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotone View Post
I have never camped this late in the season in Algonquin. Wondering about some gear recommendations. I have a 20F incubator for me and 30F jarbidge for my son. I have an old synthetic sleeping bag that (I think) is rated -6C that my son can use might bring an extra 45F down bag for him as well. I was just going to go with a 40F burrow as I am a warm sleeper. You think this should be good? I am mostly worried about my son being warm enough. I could fill a nalgene bottle with hot water too if he is cold.
Just to recap:
Hotone: -6C underquilt\4C topbag
Plusone: -1C underquilt\-6C topbag (+7C extra topbag)

As Keg and Bubba have mentioned, it's not unusual to get temperatures dipping below zero in mid October. My own advice would be to supplement your top cover and your son's bottom just to be sure. I've used a folded wool blanket right under my posterior to good effects during our winter hangs, and I'm sure a Thermarest would work just as well. A spare fleece throw makes for a good bit of extra covering on top.

Thick wool socks, long johns and a warm sleeping hat reserved only for sleeping are a must and Hot Pockets are a great idea as well. If you have one, a detachable down hood works really well too.

Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
Sounds reasonable but Algonquin could be a bit unpredictable in the fall and spring. Considering the trip to Pen has one portage of 375m, over packing isn't too much of a problem.
+1 Wise words. Given that we're just doing one portage, bringing a little extra insulation only makes sense. If you're short of gear, say the word, and I'm certain we could rustle something up. We don't want anyone freezing.

Finally, one of the keys to staying warm at night is good hydration. Make sure your son has plenty of beverages that he enjoys. The down side is, of course, the late night pit stops.