Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Old Boot View Post
    I'm going to have to back out of this trip...not happy about it but have to be realistic.

I just got back from 4 days in the north end of the park and I'm not well enough equipped to deal with later fall weather both gear-wise and body wise - I don't use 'The Old Boot' for no good reason...
    I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it Old Boot, but I suspect there's a hammocking story to tell in there somewhere. Anyway, Fall in Algonquin can get pretty nippy if you're not prepared. Err on the side of caution.

I think I'm going to start looking at group hangs in someplace warm like Florida! Come on spring!!
    Forums > Trip Planning > SE. Deeper the snow is up here, the better this forum looks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Looks like we are in for 3 nights...possibly 4, finances dependent...we just bought a house.

So if everyone that is heading in Thursday PM's me we will arrange a meeting up.
    I like it when a plan starts coming together.

Iguana, will you still be needing a bow paddler?
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/ HG UQ
    Suspension
    Web + Beckit Hitch
    Images
    No I can manage on my own. I had offered as the Old Boot was looking for someone to paddle in with.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it Old Boot, but I suspect there's a hammocking story to tell in there somewhere. Anyway, Fall in Algonquin can get pretty nippy if you're not prepared. Err on the side of caution.
    There's no one sorrier than I am and I think I'll be spending that weekend doing a lot of whining about being home while there's fun to be had. OTOH, the massive quantities of Ibubrofen inhaled this weekend to combat arthritis discomfort in the cold and wet just aren't worth it.

Yes, there's a hammocking story or two in there and a bushwhack from hell to one of Jeff's 'named' lakes for no other reason than just to say we'd been there!

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    There's no one sorrier than I am and I think I'll be spending that weekend doing a lot of whining about being home while there's fun to be had. OTOH, the massive quantities of Ibubrofen inhaled this weekend to combat arthritis discomfort in the cold and wet just aren't worth it.
    I hear you. Aches and pains seem to come rather more frequently for me as well these days. Hopefully we'll have a late indian summer when we head up, and you'll reconsider. Either way, there'll be a spot around the fire for you.

Yes, there's a hammocking story or two in there and a bushwhack from hell to one of Jeff's 'named' lakes for no other reason than just to say we'd been there!
    Bushwacking indeed! It sounds as you were just asking for trouble. The best kind of trouble mind you, but trouble nonetheless.

Roster
    Role Call - Thursday (3?):
    1. Iguana
    2. Jayson/The Boss ?

Role Call - Friday (13):
    1. Chard/Bubba
    2. Quiet - solo
    3. Kasuko
    4. Wolvaroo
    5. ggreaves +1
    6. keg
    7. Chenvre
    8. Hotone +1
    9. 80083r +1

Possibles (3):
    1. Joster +1
    2. Dale

Regrets (2):
    1. Cedar328
    2. The Old Boot
    Last edited by Chard; 09-23-2013 at 14:36.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    ... OTOH, the massive quantities of Ibubrofen inhaled this weekend to combat arthritis discomfort in the cold and wet just aren't worth it....
    This summer Bubba introduced me to aleve/naproxen. Much better than ibuprofen if your stomach can handle it.

Was in Muskoka at the end of last week looking at the full moon, just thinking of the next one on an Algonquin lake. (Man teaching can be tough. Three days at a camp last week with my grade 9's. This weekend, 4 days in Algonquin with the school's outdoors club.)

Even better I just had my birthday (big 4-0) and got a GG marriposa and a gift card for some MEC merino. All rearing to go.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Speaking of Naproxen, I just got diagnosed with Gout (or Big Toelio as I call it). I've got high hopes for the Naproxen they just prescribed. I think that was the most painful day of my life so far. When I was diagnosed with Diabetes last year, I completely changed my diet, lost lots of weight, got fit from a cardio standpoint. But I ended up replacing all the bad stuff from a diabetic point of view (high glycemic index carbs, bread, potatoes) with too much meat. And I developed quite the beef jerky habit too, Gotta find the right balance. The doctor said I'm good to eat paper. Can't wait for the trip.
    A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Starting to get close now, little over 3 weeks to go. I have dehydrated some meals for the trip already. Been practicing my dry baking skills. Thankfully I have two kids to test any muffins I make and ensure an honest opinion.

I have never camped this late in the season in Algonquin. Wondering about some gear recommendations. I have a 20F incubator for me and 30F jarbidge for my son. I have an old synthetic sleeping bag that (I think) is rated -6C that my son can use might bring an extra 45F down bag for him as well. I was just going to go with a 40F burrow as I am a warm sleeper. You think this should be good? I am mostly worried about my son being warm enough. I could fill a nalgene bottle with hot water too if he is cold.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Instead of trusting a Nalgene with a kid, think about picking up some of the 'hot hands' packets. IMO it's too important that he stay dry to leave it to a Nalgene bottle.

Also a lesson I learned recently is that my fleece liner adds more than 10degrees to my quilt temps but unless your clothing is slippery, moving around with 'sticky' sleepwear while snuggled in fleece is a PITA.

Wool socks, thermal longjohns and a hat that fastens so it doesn't come off will probably do more for him than an old synthetic that has probably lost most of it's loft.

My problem wasn't sleeping warm, I was snuggly warm - it was the getting up for pottie breaks several times a night that killed me. You guys got it good, me, way too much bared skin at freezing temps...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotone View Post

I have never camped this late in the season in Algonquin. Wondering about some gear recommendations. ...
    Sounds reasonable but Algonquin could be a bit unpredictable in the fall and spring. Considering the trip to Pen has one portage of 375m, over packing isn't too much of a problem.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Yeah, as keg said, you never know. Two years ago chard and I were on a trip in the last weekend of September and it snowed on the Saturday morning. I'd definitely err on the side of bringing extra warmth.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast