Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Traumatized dino

I finally got up the nerve to go out in my back yard and put up the HH Explorer UL Aysm that Hammock Engineer has loaned me. I got in OK, I got comfy on my back, comfy about 1/2 way on my left side, and not-comfy on 1/2 way on my right side (expected that without a pad). Then I tried to get out.

I had tied the hammock between waist and chest high and it was about chair height went I went in - it was maybe 8" off the ground when I tried to get out. I did it by myself but it took about 20 minutes of struggling - neighbors were coming over offering to help while trying to keep a straight face. (my gear antics amuse my neighbors most of the time).

So I re-tied the hammock as high as I could - probable about 6.5 ft and climbed in again (with some difficulty as the opening was at the top of my hips). Again I was comfy on back and left side. When I went to get out, I could barely get the hammock open. It mashed the dino with significant force. I was only able to get out by hanging onto the part where the velcro is and pretty much reenacting my birth experience. I'm wondering if I have a cone head

What am I doing wrong?

Images
    I just crouch down and waddle out, or I use my hands and push my self up and out.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    The Hennessy entry can be a bit tricky at times. I would imagine that a top-entry hammock would be much more suited to you, considering your difficulties.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Trying to pull yourself out while you're still sitting in the hammock is tough...your weight keeps the slit closed tightly.

The first step is to get the height right and figure out how to keep it about the same height all night (the hammock will stop stretching after a while, and you can pull the lashings really tight when you set up).

Then the exit. Put your feet on the ground, then STAND UP with your torso still in the hammock. Then you can probably just pull the hammock over your head w/o bending down much. I just kinda stand up and lean out all in one motion, but I imagine pulling the hammock over your head would be easier for you.

FWIW, you can stand inside the hammock like that and it'll cover your essentials while you change. Well, the bottom ones anyway.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    A question for you fellows - what makes a top loading hammock more stable - extra width? Extra length and width?

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    Kind of like getting into a top loader without flipping is a learned technique.
    I've never heard this before, and I just got my top loader today!
    Definatley have to set this up for the first time while nobody is watching.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee
    Kind of like getting into a top loader without flipping is a learned technique.
    I've never had a problem flipping in my homemades. I came out of a couple cheap net hammocks before, but never even came close in my camping hammocks. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino
    A question for you fellows - what makes a top loading hammock more stable - extra width? Extra length and width?
    I think width would make the most difference. That way, even if you don't sit close to the middle, you still have plenty material behind you in case you lean back too far. But I don't know for sure because I've never noticed stability problems.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Keep on playing with it cone head, I mean FD. You will find the way that is best for you. But like Jeff said, I found the best way for me to to stick one foot through the birth canel first then the other and just stand up and pull the hammock up and over my head.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The only time I've felt unstable in any non-spreader-bar hammock is when I'm laying on a 3" pad. It was worst in the Crazy Creek...but that has poles that act as a spreader bar so I sit up much higher than the HH and Speer-types.

Dunno...I've just never had a stability problem before.

But I did flip out of my hammock one night on the Foothills Trail. I thought I was holding a layer of underquilt and a layer of hammock. Turns out it was both sides of the hammock...so there was nothing to catch me as I slid back! Landed flat on my back!! And of course this was the only night on the whole trail that I shared a campsite with someone. I don't think she noticed though. I was gonna blame it on the faeries from the rhodo tunnels if she said anything.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images

Bruised hips

Hi FD...yes it is hard at times.
    How I do it is... I reach up and take my hand and open the velcro first... then wiggle out one foot and inch my way up to the opening till I have both legs out. Then I simply stand up inside still and then bend over and out.

Don't try to clear the hammock while trying to get out at the same time...just get your feet on the ground and deal with the netting still all around you. I make sure those clips are out of my way first...or my hair is forever gettting tangled in them.

I do get pinched in the hip and thigh area at times and get small bruises even. I do find it still easier to get out of the Hennessey when I am having a bad week verses climbing in a side or end entry of my tents.

It is a learning adjustment really. Sometimes my hammock is hung so perfectly I can get out very easy...sometimes I hang way too low and that is the worse!!!!

I hope it works out for you...just keep trying...your find what is easiest for you. Not sure that helped at all...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast