Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Burrow question, half taper or straight taper?

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a top quilt and leaning towards the 20* Burrow. For those who own this quilt, what option did you choose, half taper or straight taper?

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Hi Pakman, I move around a lot in my sleep, so went with half taper on mine....its great, no cold spots at night.

Cheers

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey there Pakman,

I see most of the day went by without too many people chiming in on your half taper question. I am really sorry that I do not have more info up on the site on that one. I PROMISE I am trying to get that (along with a lot of other things) up on the website asap. Time is tight right now since I have to build new tables for this move (I wish some HF members with wood working skills lived close...) and it is going slow....

Anyway, sorry for the thread hijack.

To answer your question, I usually recommend the half taper for people that are a little more on the active side while they sleep. I also recommend it if they are planning to take the quilt to the ground on occasion. Actually, if you plan to go to ground with a quilt, I would also recommend our "wide" version.

Thanks for posting the question, I am sure it was on few other minds out there.

~Adam
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Thanks for chiming in stormcrow, I've also wondered about this as you mentioned. As an occasional ground dweller due to my camping mates penchant for high alpine climbs, do you mean wide and half taper would be best? I'm going to need a warmer rig for the shoulder seasons than my current setup. Thanks.
    Last edited by Brady; 08-21-2013 at 23:52.
    Brady

Hammock
    Eno Double Nest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator, Fat
    Suspension
    Eno Atlas Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Hey there Pakman,

I see most of the day went by without too many people chiming in on your half taper question. I am really sorry that I do not have more info up on the site on that one. I PROMISE I am trying to get that (along with a lot of other things) up on the website asap. Time is tight right now since I have to build new tables for this move (I wish some HF members with wood working skills lived close...) and it is going slow....

To answer your question, I usually recommend the half taper for people that are a little more on the active side while they sleep. I also recommend it if they are planning to take the quilt to the ground on occasion. Actually, if you plan to go to ground with a quilt, I would also recommend our "wide" version.

~Adam
    What kind of tables are you needing? I'm a woodworker in Indianapolis and we may have talked earlier today.
    The worst backpacking trip I ever went on was still pretty good.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady View Post
    Thanks for chiming in stormcrow, I've also wondered about this as you mentioned. As an occasional ground dweller due to my camping mates penchant for high alpine climbs, do you mean wide and half taper would be best? I'm going to need a warmer rig for the shoulder seasons than my current setup. Thanks.
    This is how I setup my zero degree burrow. With the wide and half taper, it wraps around well even if I sleep on my side. I too occasionally end up in areas with no trees, and this setup gives a good option. The half taper stays rectangular until about halfway down, so much better coverage around the shoulders. I am about 5'10, 170lbs, and the wide is not overkill on the warmer quilts, really helps when it gets crazy cold, even if you move around.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Hey there Pakman,

~Adam
    stormcrow,

Thanks for answering my question and then some. I'll have to consider the wide option as well. The half taper combined with wide option will add versatility to the Burrow. How much weight will the 2 options add? I'm all for multi use gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Hi Pakman, I move around a lot in my sleep, so went with half taper on mine....its great, no cold spots at night.

Cheers
    Callahan,

Thanks for the sound advice. I'm an active sleeper as well and will go with the half taper option. What are your thoughts on the wide option for the 20* Burrow?

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    For myself, because I move around so much, and like to side sleep in my bridge, I think I would go wide half taper on all of my quilts regardless of temp range. With the neck snap, it just really stays put, whether I sleep on my back, side or stomach. You might save an ounce or two with the regular width, but for me, I just move around too much, and after trying this configuration, I'm sold!

Cheers

I went with the wider version and since I move around I am glad I did. As far as the foot box I probably should have gone with the sewn but when it is warmer it is nice to vent it but when the temps drop the draw string really loses heat.It is a trade off.

Callahan, used2fly,

We think a like, I'll probably go with the half taper, wide, and sewn foot box. I plan to push the 20* Burrow below its temperature limit. With all 3 options I can add extra clothing under the quilt. Since I started this hammock venture, I see my pack weight increasing. I'm hoping the comfort will offset the weight gain. On a recent backpack trip, I didn't sleep well on the ground. Silnylon is some pretty slippery stuff. The whole night I felt like I was sleeping on a slip and slide. Hopefully, hammocking will put an end to sleepless nights.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast