Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

you're already almost ultralight

This post came about because of reading a SUL post where people where baffled about getting down to such a low weight let alone #10. I want people to think about how easy it is to get down to a #10 lb base weight. So many of us already have extremely light shelters.

One caveat. Don't go buying a new pack till you have the rest of your kit figured out. I suggested a cheap REI option because it's readily available and can be gotten for 20% off on top of it being on sale and weighs around 2 lbs. This pack is comfortable and is a great intro UL pack if the volume works for you, but I think a ton of weight is wasted in the wrong places with a lid and over built frame. I personally love the ULA ohm 2.0 which has a sturdier hip belt, better hip belt pockets, better external pockets and adjustable torso length. and comes in 9 ounces lighter when I removed the options that I didn't need. It's also cheaper than most entry level, osprey, greggory, deutter, arcteryx packs.

ok so here's a pretty simple gear list that I think most of us can pull together with minimal investment and there isn't a single piece of cuben involved. I give the outline credit to Darian Davis on BPL.

There is room for a little improvisation, but if you don't have a quilt instead of grabbing the trusty 5 lb synthetic 0* rated synthetic why not try a $50 summer sleeping bag rated to 50* that weighs only 16oz.

Pack
    UL pack 45 Liters REI flash 36 oz for a size large can be had on sale for $80 retails for $129.00
    Garbage bag pack liner 2 oz $4 at home depot. Don't get the scented garbage from the grocery store
    12”x15” Odor proof food bag 2 oz
    Sub Total 40 ounces

SLEEPING & SHELTER
    Tarp mamajamba or equivalent 13.5 oz
    hammock WBB 18.5 oz seems to be popular here adjust your weight for your suspension etc
    top Quilt 20 oz
    wally world sleeping pad or an UQ 16 oz
    (6) Titanium stakes/guy lines 2 oz
    Sub Total 52 ounces

CLOTHING (packed)
    Insulating top 14 oz
    Wind Shirt 3 oz
    Rain jacket dri-ducks 6 oz $20 shipped and comes with rain pants that will probably shred (make a rain kilt if you like)
    Insulating Hat 2
    Liner Gloves 2 oz
    Sub Total 27 ounces

COOKING & HYDRATION

Alcohol stove, screen, & bottle 3 oz easy to DIY for less than $3 or you might already have a favorite that you own.
    24oz pot w/ foil lid 4 oz could be an imusa pot or a fancy titanium if you already have one.
    Long handled spork 1 oz can be a cheapo $2 rei, a free fast food spork (even lighter) or what ever you like
    Mini lighter & matches 1 oz
    (2) 1 liter sports drink bottles 2oz Gatorade bottles have the wide mouth if you like the steripen
    Sawer Filter 3.25 oz it's only $45 lightweight and doesn't have batteries. You could go lighter with aqua mira or get a steri pen if you like those.

Sub Total 14.25 ounces

ESSENTIALS
    Map 2oz
    Small 1st Aid Kit 2oz 1st Aid should be minimal with blister pads, a couple of sterile pads, a single roll of roller gauze and some pain reliever tablets. don't forget your prescription meds obviously.

Headlamp 3oz You don't need a microlight to be UL
    Hand gel, soap, & toothbrush 2 oz
    Deet & sunscreen 1 oz
    Mora knife 3.25 oz You can keep this out of your pack weight if you carry this clipped to your person like I do.
    50’ cord (bear bag line) 3 oz
    Sub Total 14.25 ounces

TOTAL BASE WEIGHT 147.5 ozs. (9.21lbs)

Stuff that you should be wearing and doesn't effect your base pack weight

Synthetic t-shirt 5
    Trail running pants 7
    Trail runner shoes 24
    Lightweight running sock 2
    Hat (baseball or bucket style) 3
    Watch w/compass & altimeter 2
    Trekking Poles 16
    Total 61 ounces

-Loki

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: you're already almost ultralight

You are right about how easy it is, physically. Mentally you have to get away from the pack for your fears mentality I see so often. You also need to be willing to adapt to the lighter weight gear. Its generally minimalistic and requires a bit more skill to operate. A canister stove is much easier to use than alcohol. Big headlight is brighter than Petzel eLight or keychain LEDs. Etc. Also some people like to pack comfort items. Camp shoes, cards, big knives, electronics, etc.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    one area I found that I can drop in is clothing. For warm weather all I end up needing is a long sleeve shirt for evening and an extra pair of socks. I hike in a merino wool short sleave shirt and thrive shorts. They both dry quickly. I also started leaving my folding saw behind. I can easily gather dead fall and process it by hand. I think if you want to really lighten your load you have to take a hard look at what you truly just need out there. Also take stock of why you are out there for yourself. For me it's to be in the woods and once I have them I don't feel like I really need much else besides a dry comfy place to sleep and a little bit of food.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Images
    I always over pack clothing also. Don't want to hi-jack the thread but add to...when you go for a 3 day trip or a 5 day trip do you bring a change of clothes? Do you sleep in the same clothes?

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I tend to sleep in the same clothes that I hike in. But I do take a pair of heavier socks for wear around camp and for sleeping.

My typical kit for a 5-day fall hike:
    1 pair synthetic boxers
    2 pair hiking socks
    1 pair sleeping socks
    1 pair synthetic shorts
    1 pair synthetic long pants
    1 synthetic t-shirt
    1 synthetic long sleeve shirt
    1 synthetic puffy jacket
    1 synthetic balaclava
    1 pair fleece gloves
    1 ball cap
    1 waterproof bretheable rain jacket (can be used as wind shirt or extra insulation around camp)

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Re: you're already almost ultralight

My cloths skin out, warm weather:

3 day:
    GTX Trail Running shoes
    Convertible pants
    Synthetic t shirt
    Synthetic Liner socks
    Wool Hiking socks
    Driducks top
    Rain Kilt
    DIY Tyvek Rain Gators
    Smartwool Arm warmers
    Buff
    OR Sun Runner cap

5 day:
    All of the above +
    Extra pair liner socks
    Extra pair wool socks
    Extra t shirt

Add in warmth layers as weather dictates.
    These include:
    Fleece hat
    fleece gloves
    Down jacket
    Base layers

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    My base weight is essentially the same, slightly less than 10 lbs. It's easy to see the weight creep up. Add a book (or an e-reader), a chair (I do like a chair when I'm camping with others), an extra pot here, a few extra stuff sacks there all add up quicker than you'd think.

Standard operating procedure is to make a detailed list with the weight of each item and then be disciplined enough to stick to your list. Also, UL takes a certain amount of experience with your gear.... stick an inexperienced backpacker out in the woods with minimal UL gear and the likelyhood of a bad experience is high. Overtime, I've learned enough to have a pretty good feel for what I really need and what I don't. Sometimes I still will sleep cold because I miscalculated the temperature. That's OK for me, I actually like shaving it close and I feel like I have enough experience with my gear and my limits that I'm not placing myself in physical danger.

My advice for someone wanting to go UL is to ease into it.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Images
    [QUOTE=

My advice for someone wanting to go UL is to ease into it.[/QUOTE]

So true, I struggle getting below 14# but its creature comforts I feel like I need but so many times never use or worse even forget I brought it.

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I went UL with the walmart foam pad, tarptent, frameless pack etc....

Then over the years I have added weight back in. My Ohm has a minimal frame. My hammock is not UL (ridgerunner), I take an umbrella. But other areas have remained UL, like the cook kit, the clothing selection, mi titanium potty trowel.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    So true, I struggle getting below 14# but its creature comforts I feel like I need but so many times never use or worse even forget I brought it.
    sf- you could try the 3 list method
    after each trip, as you unload, make lists
    1. NEED and used on this trip, e.g. first aid, shelter, clothing/foul weather gear, fire, tool, cook kit, water container, pack
    2. WANT(creature comforts I feel like I need) and used on this trip, e.g. iPod, camera, book, extra clothes, sit pad, camp shoes
    3. Didn't use=remove from the load and leave it out next time

It hepled me decide what to pack. I like some extras and am willing to carry a summer total load around 17 lbs.(that includes water, fuel & food)
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast