Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

undercover as double layer

FYI - haven't fully tested this yet, but a nice long lay the other day when it was cool confirmed that my 2QZQ undercover functions pretty well as a double layer to hold a pad. Now, its summer in Ga, so I was only using a very light JRB torso pad, but I was very pleased that the undercover held the pad nicely up against me in my single layer hammock.

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this, specifically with this undercover. At some point I'll get my downmat out to see if the undercover can hold it up, which I have my doubts about. But for now, I'm happy to be able to reduce my summer setup weight and ditch the 40 degree UQ for summer camping in the SE.

Will follow-up as I'm able to get out and fully test.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Not with that particular undercover, no. However, I currently use my poncho (which doubles as an undercover) to hold a crumpled space blanket against the bottom of the hammock for temperatures above ~50* F. It's a semi-Garlington insulator, minus the trash bag.

For most folks, I'd recommend it for ~55* to 60* and up, seeing as how I'm an human furnace when I sleep. On the other hand, it allows me to carry ~1.5 oz of under insulation with me on warm trips, so...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I have made a DIY version of that with my Magna-Hammock. (see signature line below) I am tweaking a shortened version that is much like your UQ Protector, but with the magnets. Mine also doubles as a hoodless poncho to multi-purpose the weight. I think with some creative mods, it would hold heavier insulation materials. Mine will hold up an old down/feather sleeping bag I modded into an UQ just fine.

• + New Posts