Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i'm around the same mark, but with slightly different setup. Even at around 6lbs, you are still in the same range as a tarptent setup, especially at the 20* mark. you have a nice setup, i wouldn't change it. maybe just drop the stakes and biners. here's my list for comparison: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=14655

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you're gonna really try to cut weight, your first investment needs to be a scale. When you start weighing and logging everything it's a huge eye opener.

If you don't want to swap out the listed gear or get new perhaps you should look at the other stuff in your pack there aren't really any small mods you can make with certain things sleeping systems are one of them and shelters have only minimal weight loss options other than buying new wether you're a hanger of ground dweller. Your TQ and UQ don't really have any ways of losing weight. As mentioned you could ditch your tarp stakes but not much more weight can be lost there you could be really picky and find the lightest cord for guylines and little things like that but you are only dropping grams there. The hammock and suspension can lose a little weight mainly in the suspension If you really are serious about lightening your load try whoopie slings or a UCR ( I don't know too much about the UCR cause I'm new but I have heard its lighter than whoopies) also you could DIY your own tree straps out of some 1 or 1.5 inch webbing that way your straps can be custom sized to trees in your area.

Now the above stuff I don't claim to be any kind of expert since I've only gotten into all of this hanging stuff recently but I do know a little about all the other gear in your pack now for starters what kind of water filter do you carry if your answer was anything other than a sawyer squeeze filter I would recommend snagging a sawyer mini from Dutch since it will be a lot lighter than any other kind of filter, look at it as an eventual savings too since it filters a million gallons you won't ever need a replacement and it's cheaper than most other pump style filters replacement filter. Next up your cooking system that's a big place to save weight and if you tell us what you carry for that there's tons of super light options we can suggest. I could go on but I'll wait to see what all you carry first to make the best suggestions.

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    Just maybe your hammock and tarp setup is just right and that's NOT the place to cut significant weight. I think others have alluded to this- analyze everything you you carry, decide if you really need it. If not, don't take it. (Warning: discipline required!) If you do really need it, research to see if there is a lighter item that accomplishes the same thing. (Sometimes you'll find a lighter item that does 2 things on your list... winning!)

So... how much does your pack weigh? How about your cooking gear? How are you doing in the "extra clothes" department? You could still be in the 15 lb. base weight neighborhood even with your current hammock/tarp/quilt setup. That's not too bad at all really.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My WL Hammock, Tarp + UQ + Sleeping Bag + Torso Pad + Suspension + 4 Stakes = 5.97 lbs. I could get that down some by by swapping the SB for a TQ and going with lighter stakes and tie out lines. Still, my overall dry base weight is 17lbs which I considerable pretty decent for my level of experience. If you look at my list, you'll see I'm not depriving myself of much for that weight: Here's my current list: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=16388

I spent some time in the Backpacking forum a few weeks ago when I was looking for a pack. Part of the advise I received and followed was to make a list of everything I carry and it's weight using Geargrams.com. Then ask myself if what I really needed and if there was a lighter version of that item that could do the same job, or even multiple jobs. Basically, justifying to myself everything on the list. Geargrams is great as it's shareable which allows others to give imput as to items that may be lighter solutions.
    My list is still a work in progress and only trail time will tell what matters most to me. Good luck on the diet plan, there gets to be a point where losing a few more ounces gets very expensive.
    Last edited by JLeephoto; 12-21-2013 at 18:24.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    BTW Rambler: If you want to get into the donating member section there are regularly membership available if you care to participate in the Pay It Forward forum. You will likely have some heavier replacement gear you can contribute in return.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I'll add my voice to the others who've already stated the obvious, time for a new hammock and tarp if you really want to drop weight. A cuben fiber tarp and a Darien hammock will save you pounds, not ounces.

Consider the pack you're carrying this in; many can save a pound or more just changing out the pack!!

Gideon

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Digital scale, and Gear Grams, then attack the big three first.

Unless totally locked on the BB, sell it and finance cheaper, lighter gear, in it's place. It's about the only place you can spend less, retain function, and cut weight. Almost everything else will cost $$. Depending on pack used, I've seen people lose, several pounds right there. With packs you must find the sweet spot. The lightest UL packs don't ride all that well with loads beyond their rating, and that can be as little as 30 pounds or less, depending on make and model. Still a 6-8 pound exterior frame trail freighter, replaced with something like a Jam or Pinnacle that specs in @ 2 pounds or less, is meaningfull
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    The inexpensive changes,
    Replace hammock and tarp suspension with whoopie slings.
    Replace all metal suspension items with soft shackles.

Instead of cutting back on the amount of stakes, go with lighter stakes.
    I find that staking out many points with lighter stakes works better in strong winds than less ties with thicker stakes.

I do agree that skinny 6" stakes won't hold in many soil types, but 9" ti-hooks do well in most.
    The extra 3" makes a big difference in loose rocky soil.

6" can work when supplemented with rocks, but longer stakes work even better.

Zing-it/Lash-it, Dacron kite sting or other less than 2mm tie-line.

Hammock
    UW Multicam
    Tarp
    SF or Stars
    Suspension
    UCR's
    You could drop a pound by changing hammocks to a lighter DIY.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast