Tarp
    ENO Pro, Noah 12
    Insulation
    20* HGInc,GoL 3STQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Need a place to hang this weekend

Hi everyone,
    The family is planning a N GA hang this weekend, and I was wondering about recommendations other than over-crowded state parks. I am looking for somewhere within 2 hours of NE metro Atlanta, and I know there are tons of choices. This request is really more about thinning out the choices than finding the perfect one. We usually just hit the state parks, but I know this time of year they get full, and I don't really want to go that route anyway. My wife and daughter don't require running water, porcelain, etc., so that isn't a concern. Waterfall hikes are a plus, though. As much as I would like to make it a backpacking trip, it's probably best if the camping is relatively close to parking, but if you know a fantastic place that requires packing in a little ways, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks for any ideas,
    Chad

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Here you go ...

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/conf...10454&actid=29

Some of these sites have hot water and flushers, some don't. You will have to spend some time looking at each location's ammenities.

While my wife and daughters love camping, they do prefer to have the porcelain pot and running water. Electric isn't quite as necessary. I have been through a few of them and like them better than state parks.

Happy hunting and have a good weekend.

Drop a note if you choose one and let us know how everyone likes it.

STinGa
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    ENO Pro, Noah 12
    Insulation
    20* HGInc,GoL 3STQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks. We like the Forest Service areas (we did Desoto Falls a couple years ago). Do you think we will have a problem with the campground being full when we get there? Are there any that we have a better (or worse) chance than others? I have only camped at public campgrounds a few times (usually camp with the Scouts), so I don't have a good feel for what will work and what will not. I am trying to avoid driving up there after work on Friday and having to try three different campgrounds, arriving late, in the dark, grouchy, etc.

- Chad

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    FYI, we are experiencing a “no hammock hang” rule here in California at the National Forest campgrounds.
    Reason cited, “damage to trees”
    Have fired off e-mails to US Forest Service in Washington, D.C. but no response so far.
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I would suggest the Hemlock Falls area on the other side of the road from Moccasin Creek state park (solely a campground more than a park), on the north side of Lake Burton. Drive about a half mile up the dirt road to a parking lot. Campsites are anywhere in the first quarter mile - the further you go, the closer they are to the creek (small river). Hemlock falls is a relatively mild hike a little over a mile further up the trail. No facilities at this location, but easy access to the state park campground and its facilities (drive to, not walk). There is also a fish hatchery there.

I camped there with my 8yr old and a friend who took his 3 girls age 4, 6 and 8 last year. I used to camp up there all the time before I got the hiking bug.

Raven Cliff falls off Richard Russell scenic hwy near Helen is a good choice, too. The parking area has a bathroom and there's good hanging a short distance up the trail down in a large flat area - which could possibly be dicey if there's been some flooding.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

cali

Quote Originally Posted by 1-Hung-Low View Post
    FYI, we are experiencing a “no hammock hang” rule here in California at the National Forest campgrounds.
    Reason cited, “damage to trees”
    Have fired off e-mails to US Forest Service in Washington, D.C. but no response so far.
    I read the OPs email as wanting to avoid the overcrowded state parks, so I'm not sure why we have two postings with state park info, much less about California state park info. But, while you're here...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...fornia&page=20
    (page down for official CA response)

There is no "rule" against hammocks in CA. This is true in most states and is true for GA. As a way of discouraging those who might damage trees, rangers often adopt a position of saying "no hammocks" without much regard to getting good info about good hammock hangers. In some respects, especially if there has been recent damage, this is understandable. In a lot of cases, though, these are decisions based on older perceptions without the knowledge of, nor the desire to seek, good info to make a better decision, or at least be able to communicate better a more correct position on the matter.

So, your best bet at a state park is to say nothing and apologize later. In doing so, you help to educate the rangers on a proper hammock setup, since they presumably have to come to the site to inform you. And just in case they take a hard line based on the "rules", take solace in the fact that you can say to them that there is no hard and fast rule against hammocks specifically.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    ENO Pro, Noah 12
    Insulation
    20* HGInc,GoL 3STQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thanks, those sound great. I was looking at one of the ones on the USFS list, and I'll add Hemlock Falls for consideration. The description I found said to bring wet hiking shoes. Do you think with the amount of rain we have had lately that it might be too muddy or buggy?

- Chad

Hammock
    WB--Dutch-Clark-Amok
    Tarp
    WB-CC-UGQ-Amok
    Insulation
    Down and Synthetic
    Suspension
    CL/Becket~LA/ 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post

There is no "rule" against hammocks in CA. This is true in most states and is true for GA. As a way of discouraging those who might damage trees, rangers often adopt a position of saying "no hammocks" without much regard to getting good info about good hammock hangers. In some respects, especially if there has been recent damage, this is understandable. In a lot of cases, though, these are decisions based on older perceptions without the knowledge of, nor the desire to seek, good info to make a better decision, or at least be able to communicate better a more correct position on the matter.

And just in case they take a hard line based on the "rules", take solace in the fact that you can say to them that there is no hard and fast rule against hammocks specifically.
    No disrespect dakotaross, but if you call this number (858) 673-6180 Superintendant of the Cleveland National Forest, you will be told that there is a “no hammock rule” that applies to all campgrounds within the Cleveland National Forest jurisdiction.
    When the Ranger with the badge and gun tells you to take it down, good luck telling him “no”, there is no policy prohibiting hammock hanging…

Been there, done that....
    Livin’ Large ~ Horizontally

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Not the thread for going back and forth on the subject, but for the benefit of those who may search for "state park" and come across this thread, please refer back to the link in my post. REV and many other members have gone to great lengths to get the word out about good hanging, to the point of identifying what the actual rules are so that we may be better equipped to deal with responses such as the one you've experienced.

Wasn't suggesting you not do what you're asked to do by authority. Just suggesting that asking about it first might not be the best policy.
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

wet shoes

Quote Originally Posted by bab5freak View Post
    Thanks, those sound great. I was looking at one of the ones on the USFS list, and I'll add Hemlock Falls for consideration. The description I found said to bring wet hiking shoes. Do you think with the amount of rain we have had lately that it might be too muddy or buggy?

- Chad
    In the past, there have been very minor wet parts which are easily dealt with in regular boots or trail shoes. You can certainly hike the trail in tennis shoes as our kids did, but yes, I'd bet they would get wet in their smaller sneakers. I don't think you would find it muddy or buggy, but I have not been up there recently. Bugs typically aren't an issue at that elevation, or at least I haven't found them to be.
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast