DIY-Gathered End
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Help: Trouble sewing webbing

I'm having some difficulty sewing the polypropylene webbing for my hanging straps. The webbing keeps getting jammed up in the sewing machine. I'll have what appears to be a straight stitch-line on the top side, but when I take it out of the machine, the underside is a jumbled mess of thread.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any pointers on how to remedy the situation?

I'm using a heavy weave 1 1/2" polypropylene webbing for the straps. I've already broken an 80/11 needle. The jean needle seemed to hold up fine, but the mess was the same.

[The sum total of my sewing machine experience consists of hemming the hammock body and bug net and attaching the velcro, so I'm a very low-level novice.]
    "He that lives upon hope will die fasting."

- Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Check the We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! Troubleshooting video. There are several possibilities. If you don't get any help from that vid, if you can post a pic of the mess that would be good.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered End
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks. I've watched all of the videos multiple times with the exception of the troubleshooting video. I'll check it out this evening.

- Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    I have had this before, check that the bobbin thread is wound the right way and threaded correctly.

If you have refilled the bobbin it is supposed to come off the bobbin the correct way under the plate.

Check that the top thread is feed properly through the machine and the thread goes through the tension disks, the needle should be up when threading it.

Start a new job with a new needle, it may have a slight bend.

Then recheck your thread tension, could be the top thread is too loose.

Good luck.
    gunn
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There is one thing that is not explained well in the vid. What kind (age/make/model) machine are you using. Here is the deal... I made a sloppy mess on the vid by not lowerring the presser foot. If what you are trying to sew is too thick for the presser foot travel you will have the same effect. Check this if nothing else plays lout. Does this happen only on the webbing? I take it everything else looked good... thde hems and such for the hammock. Does the machine stitch properly through just one layer of webbing?

If the answer to those questions are yes... everything is fine then you can begin to question the bulk of the webbing. When yoiu release the presser foot, does it lwer perceptively? IOW can you watch it drop? If yes... then you need to keep exploring.

If the presser foot does not perceptively drop then you need to check the running thread tension by hand. This will require a sense of feel and will not be "scientific" in its accuracy. Here is what that process would look like...

Remove all the fabric from the machine and lower the presser foot all the down. Do NOT catch the the thread under the presser foot. Pull on the top thread to get a sense of how much tension is on the thread. The raise the presser foot and do the same test pulling on the thread. There will be a noticable difference.

Now put your webbing back in the machine and lower the presser foot. Again make sure the top thread is free of the presser foot. Pull on the thread. If the tension is the same as the lowere presser foot tension then you are ok. If the tension is the same as the raised foot tension you do not have eough leeway in the machine travel to sew something that thick.

As you raise the presser foot you disengage the tension plates inside the machine. This would be the same as having the tension set way too loose. What you are describing is typical of a too loose top tension. If you don't have enough trvavel space for the presser foot to engage the tension plates you will need to lessen the bulk of the sewing bundle. If you trying to sew through three layers of webbing, try just two. Other wise you might have to find a shoe repair shop or awning maker who will do you a quick favor and sew the webbing the way you want. You could sewing by hand using either speedsticther or a sailors palm and good heavy duty needles. But I would go to the shop first and see if they wouln'd help me out first.

Hope this helps.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Also, when sewing webbing, I've found that you need to go slower.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    you may have dirt or lint inthe bobin area give it a quick cleaning, thats what my wife said to do, her embrioder machine will do what you described if the bobbin area and foot area have lint or dirt don't be surprised to see just one strand but thats enough to do it just my 2pennies good luck
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Did you get your problem resolved? If yes... what worked, if no if you can post some pics maybe we can go from there.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Nano-7
    Tarp
    Cat cut tarp
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Images
    Yes, did you get it sorted out or not?????????

Sorry, that came out sounding a bit harsh. I did not mean it to sound that way.
    Last edited by gunn parker; 03-25-2009 at 18:24. Reason: apology
    Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.
    Winnie the Pooh

My Photo Album
    My youtube videos

Proud member since May 2007

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered End
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Didn't get an opportunity to work on the hammock last night (toddler issues). I really only had time to clean the machine and replace the needle last night. I'll try things out this evening and report back on how it went.

This is the only piece left to my hammock construction, so I'm anxious to finish and actually lay down in the thing. Thank you for all of the suggestions. I was getting a bit frustrated and then the light bulb went off to post something here.

- Benjamin Franklin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast