Tarp
    Calytor Small
    Insulation
    Walmart Eggcrate
    Suspension
    Strapage
    Images

Claytor Small Fly questions

I just got a good deal on a barely used Claytor small fly (thanks freakflyer!!). Even at new prices it seems like a lot of tarp, in terms of weight-to-price ratio. It is however more like 22oz. rather than the "1 lb" as advertised on the site, once you figure in tie-outs and the stuff sack. Putting it more OP coated tarp realm. My teeny Integral Designs 5x8 Siltarp and/or Silponcho I had been using as flies, are 8oz. and 10oz. respectively, tieouts sacks and all. So I may stick with them for backpacking, and use the big one for carcamping. Or modify my load philosophy. Test hang this weekend.

Anyway, the question was, does it need to be seam sealed? It appears to be made of 2 1/3 1-meter sections.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    A little off-topic but I've also thought about using a poncho-tarp for hammocking (mine is a Golite poncho/tarp). It works well for my bridge hammock because the bridge is less than 8' long so a standard A-frame pitch (pitched very flat) works. However even in this case the coverage is only adequate if the rain is coming straight down.

Recently I've been experimenting with hanging it along the diagonal over a standard hammock (not a bridge). It's very nearly 10' long in this direction so I get full coverage in that direction. But once again the coverage on the sides is very marginal. I'd love to make it work to shave ounces but I'm not sure I'm willing to risk a wetting. Maybe I'll get brave at some point.
    Last edited by Heber; 03-24-2009 at 20:58. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Anyway, the question was, does it need to be seam sealed? It appears to be made of 2 1/3 1-meter sections.
    Yes, my buddy had one that made for a miserable night because he didn't seal it

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Calytor Small
    Insulation
    Walmart Eggcrate
    Suspension
    Strapage
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Good to know - thanks! I'll get on it ;-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Calytor Small
    Insulation
    Walmart Eggcrate
    Suspension
    Strapage
    Images
    Sgt Rock had the guys at Moonbow make a custom pncho tarp that is only inches larger than the ID Siltarp. He gave it a great review as a dual-function weight saver for backpacking. But his pages on the subject are now years old and he has moved on to using something else, I think. I weathered one severe storm with a 5x8 on diagonal. We were deep in the woods, so it was straight down rain, and while I stayed mostly dry (there was some spray, and not much room to get in and out without getting wet) my son got flooded out due to a bad position of the tarp relative to the hammock buckles. I am using structural ridgelines with approx 8'-0" between buckles, and the tarp is 9-4 diagonal. So it's tight. I'll stick with that setup for now. The Claytor tarp is ~2x as large, and thus ~2x as much weight, but a fraction of the cost of a silnyl tarp of that size.

Quote Originally Posted by Heber View Post
    A little off-topic but I've also thought about using a poncho-tarp for hammocking (mine is a Golite poncho/tarp). It works well for my bridge hammock because the bridge is less than 8' long so a standard A-frame pitch (pitched very flat) works. However even in this case the coverage is only adequate if the rain is coming straight down.

Recently I've been experimenting with hanging it along the diagonal over a standard hammock (not a bridge). It's very nearly 10' long in this direction so I get full coverage in that direction. But once again the coverage on the sides is very marginal. I'd love to make it work to shave ounces but I'm not sure I'm willing to risk a wetting. Maybe I'll get brave at some point.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    I have the Diamond Fly. I haven't had it out in the rain yet. You all think I should seam seal mine as well?

I had previously responded to somebody that the tarp didn't have any seams to be sealed, because when I looked at it there isn't a seam down the center. After reading your posting, I pulled out my other tarp and see that there is a seam that is off center.

My son-in-law and I did use these through a brief rainstorm without any seam sealing, but I guess that we were just lucky that we didn't get wet.

Oh well, I've purchased a used McCat that has already been seam sealed.

Hope you enjoy the tarp.

• + New Posts