Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Drip Ring?

Noob here. How can I have SMC Descending rings 6" - 12" from the head and foot of my Clark NX-250 as drip rings hooked to 6' Whoopie slings?

Thanks in advance?

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Great question Oblique. Wondering a lot about drip rings on my HH with whoopies lately. Can't wait to read the feedback from the collective.

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Get/make a 8" to 12" dogbone out of Amsteel. Make sure that the loop at one end of the dogbone is just a bit bigger than the drip ring. Do a larkshead hitch with the smaller looped end of the dogbone around the drip ring. Then insert the other end of the dogbone (with the bigger loop) through the channel where the ropes come out of the hammock and then larkshead it through itself (if the loop is big enough, the drip ring will pass through it. At this point the hammock should have a dogbone extending from the end with a drip ring dangling from it. Then larkshead the fixed eye end of the whoopie sling around the drip ring. Viola!
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    if you went with a whoopie hook kind of suspension the hook would act as a drip ring

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudorino View Post
    Get/make a 8" to 12" dogbone out of Amsteel... Then larkshead the fixed eye end of the whoopie sling around the drip ring. Viola!
    Noob here; I have no idea what that all looks like. Got any pics?

I would prefer a permanent arrangement. I can picture a Descending Ring connected about 6" away from the gathered end of the Clark, with the ring in a fixed loop of Amsteel that is fed through the gathered channel of the Clark and the ring fed back through the loop to make a slip knot. Then the other side of the descending ring inside of the fixed loop of the whoopie leading to the adjustable loop that could be toggled or clipped to a tree strap.

Also, is Amsteel weakened enough to be concerned about by being girth-hitched around or passed twice through a drip ring tube or descending ring then put under load?

Thanks

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Search for chain links or suspensions extensions here. They are simple loop of Amsteel about 12-18". I took this image from the AHE website.
    Hope this helps...

"Also, is Amsteel weakened enough to be concerned about by being girth-hitched around or passed twice through a drip ring tube or descending ring then put under load?"
    I haven't had any problems with the Amsteel being week around the hammock or the rings.
    Last edited by MuseJr; 08-24-2013 at 00:04.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblique Angler View Post
    Noob here. How can I have SMC Descending rings 6" - 12" from the head and foot of my Clark NX-250 as drip rings hooked to 6' Whoopie slings?

Thanks in advance?
    Hey Oblique Angler, that is easy enough to do. We do it with a pair of our continuos loops with a descending ring made on to them or attached with a larks head. We usually make the rings 8" long for that hammock rather than our normal 12". All you do to install is run the loop through the hammock end channel. When it comes out the other end place the ring though the end that just came through forming a larks head around the hammock end channel then pull snug. The whoopie sling can then attached to the ring with a larks head. We can also spice the fixed eye of the whoopie sling on to thing so as not to have to use a larks head but sometimes keeping things separately has its advantages.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeBait View Post
    Hey Oblique Angler, that is easy enough to do. We do it with a pair of our continuos loops with a descending ring made on to them or attached with a larks head... The whoopie sling can then attached to the ring with a larks head...
    I placed my order today.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblique Angler View Post
    I placed my order today.
    You gotta let me know when they arrive and you have them rigged. I need to check this out!

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I placed my order for Whoopies on Aug 27 right after I signed off from my work laptop at about 5:00 PM PDT. I got the email saying my custom 2-color (to distinguish head & foot ends) with permanent drip rings Whoopies order was done at 9:02 PM and being shipped on Aug 28. They arrived on Aug 30. That's MIGHTY FAST SERVICE! Thank You Stuart.

I fed the continuous loops through the Clark end channels by zip tying the loops to the Clark ropes, carefully pulled them through and girth hitched the rings through the tops of the loops as instructed for drip rings (semi-)permanently rigged 6" from the head & foot of the Clark. Then I girth hitched the Whoopie fixed loops to the opposite sides of the rings. PERFECT! The 14" to 6' Whoopies' adjustment gives me a usable range of around 12' to 21' for tree spacing. Though there is virtually no weight savings from the stock Clark ropes and drip rings and I'm very good with knots I know I'll appreciate the convenience of Whoopies and never having to retie to get both drip rings under the tarp again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
    You gotta let me know when they arrive and you have them rigged. I need to check this out!
    Ed, how do we get together for a "hangling" outing? The last two weekends in Sept I'm booked for familly and concerts.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 08-31-2013 at 11:48.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast