Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ

underquilt advice for a WBBB XLC

Hey, what's your all's opinion for a good full length 20 degree UQ for an XLC?? I was wondering if the extra length of the XLC messes up the UQ suspension. I'm 6'6"and would be open to using a 3/4 length and wearing long wool socks to keep my lower legs warm if if you think it would be a better option. Thanks for the help!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I'm 6’1” and have the same hammock in a left lay. I use a Leighlo quilt so can't speak to others. She's not making quilts anymore but there are lots of options. Mine's pretty short, her website is gone so can't check but I think it's 46” and works well. I use wool leggings to stay warm and a small pad when it's cooler.

Brandon makes a short quilt for the blackbirds so possibly look at a yeti as it's designed to fit the hammock.

Adam over at Hammock Gear makes the Phoenix for 3/4, or the Incubator for full length.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the vendors you'll find here. It just depends on length and whether you want a down or synthetic insulation. I use down and went with JRB for my top quilt and the quality is great, they have UQ's as well.

To answer your suspension question; For the shorter UQ on my XLC I had to add a 6” dogbone of Lash-It on each end to get the quilt into the right position. I tried a 12“ on the foot end and a few other options but settled on the two 6ers.

Good luck with the decision.
    Brady

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Bump...
    anyone else have any suggestions?? I was looking at the UG Zeppelin, any recommendations??

Hammock
    diy, wb xlc
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    nacrawhoopie
    Images
    While you may be tempted to look at wider quilts, keep in mind that the shelf and the entry wing can cause wider quilts to hang a bit low on XLC/BB vs. other gathered end hammocks. I think 47" is probably as wide as you want to go, and will probably require channel + corner suspension, esp. for a full length (others may chime in on this though). Based on my experience w/ a 47" wide quilt on an XLC I would probably keep a heaver winter quilt to no more than 45" wide.

I'm 6'5" myself and have definitely found that shorter quilts (e.g. shoulder/head to knee length) seal up better around my legs - in part because I switch from back to side sleeping. I think this is part of the recipe to successful hangs many report with the WB Winter Yeti, which has smaller measurements than others but is often mentioned as a quilt that is "just right" in terms of insulation in just the right places (although at 6'6" you could probably benefit from something slightly larger). You mentioned long down socks as an option, as are down booties and GG pads in between layers or in the footbox of your TQ - and the Thermarest seat pad also has favorable reviews for this.

Specific quilt recommendations may depend on how cold you want to go with it, and since I don't have first hand experience w/ any 20 deg or lower 3/4 quilts I'll refrain from any recommendations. But there are at least a half dozen vendors I can think of who sell down quilts that fit what you're looking for, and another 3-4 that make quilts with Climashield/Apex if you'd prefer synthetic.
    It is a very alert, active sheep, with a stylish, lively carriage.

Flickr
    YouTube
    I use a Juki & Pfaffs w/ assorted attachments, and have serviced lots of vintage machines. Any questions?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    It depends on if you're a hiker or a camper. There's no question in my mind that you can get a proper fit with a full length quilt, it's really preferable if you're not weight conscious. There's no bad choice here, though I will say it gives me a bit more flexibility having a partial length 20* because I also own a full length 0* and can opt for comfort over UL as the weather dictates.

So ask yourself if you're more oriented to putting on big miles or more on spending time in camp. That will make your decision for you.

David

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Warbonnet makes the Yeti UQ and it is customized to fit Warbonnet gear. I have a winter Yeti and it has served me well every time.
    My 3¢ worth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts