Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I'm curious if you've given any thought to 2 vs 3 layer gortex, which one you use, and why?
    The 3 layer is nothing more than an extra piece of liner to protect the gore tex breathable layer from abrasion and dirt. The 2 layer does not have this liner. I've yet to see any damage caused by abrasion as a sock is not subjected to a great deal of rubbing or dirt. Gore tex for use in clothing should have the liner to protect against abrasion and dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkingBuddha View Post
    Thats some serious DIY craft. Thanks for sharing. an inspiration to us all!
    Thank you! It's just a new twist on an old idea.
    Last edited by Nighthauk; 10-31-2013 at 16:26. Reason: Language in quote
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    The 3 layer is nothing more than an extra piece of liner to protect the gore tex breathable layer from abrasion and dirt. The 2 layer does not have this liner. I've yet to see any damage caused by abrasion as a sock is not subjected to a great deal of rubbing or dirt. Gore tex for use in clothing should have the liner to protect against abrasion and dirt.
    Okay, I wasn't sure if there was any difference in breathablity, or the likelyhood of it freezing up in really cold weather. From the limited readying I've done, the different types of goretex don't have the same properties.

So, will the next step be to offer an eVent fabric option for the gram wienies? It's only 1.4 oz/syrd, out performs goretex, and it's only $60/yrd.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Okay, I wasn't sure if there was any difference in breathablity, or the likelyhood of it freezing up in really cold weather. From the limited readying I've done, the different types of goretex don't have the same properties.

So, will the next step be to offer an eVent fabric option for the gram wienies? It's only 1.4 oz/syrd, out performs goretex, and it's only $60/yrd.
    Actually, I own some event clothing for cycling and love it. I'm toying with the idea of a sock already.
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    bringing this back out to the new post list. while laying in my hammock over the weekend and the wind gusts pushing 50 mph and the tarp making those wind noises( now I am debating of removing the shock cord from guy lines to reduce it) I thought.." that gore-tex sock might have been better than this tarp..."
    any other colors yet? I believe 3 are listed on UnderQuilts.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi

Where to put shoes/boots when using a sock without a fly?

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post

Purely diy. Just some syl with a zipper with a flap over it. A mini hammock you could call it, but made of sylnylon. Works very well and hold all the junk , I mean gear I usually bring in large quantities.
    I am absolutely intrigued by the UnderQuilts.com Wexford GTS (Gore-Tex Sock).

My biggest concern (i.e., only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger and buying one) is -- what do I do with my shoes? Ideally, there's a means of easily taking them off, easily putting them on, and keeping the inside of my hammock clean. Currently, just leaving them under my hammock under my fly gets the job done quite well.

Among the solutions that occur to me with the GTS:

1) Bring shoes into GTS with me and hang from hammock ridge-line inside hammock. Don't like this, especially if shoes/boots are dirty and/or snowy.

2) Bring shoes into GTS with me and stow them in bottom of GTS below hammock (i.e., sort of using the GTS as a gear sling). This becomes more problematic if using boots in winter (i.e., boots are heavy and seems like bad idea to bring snow into GTS).

3) Somehow put shoes/boots into some sort of waterproof gear bag sitting under GTS (e.g., could be just a plastic garbage bag). I'm thinking that this may have some merit.

4) Use some sort of gear sling like the ENO UnderBelly Gear Sling. You'd still need some means of protecting the shoes/boots from rain/snow, though.

All of these solutions make it kind of awkward to get into and out of the hammock. As a guy getting older, I find that I often need to get up several times a night to relieve self. The negative of having this kind of hassle just to get into/out of hammock (i.e., putting on/taking off shoes/boots) may outweigh the positive that is the elegance of the GTS itself.

Anybody have any other good ideas for what to do with shoes/boots when using a sock without a fly?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by altruistguy View Post

My biggest concern (i.e., only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger and buying one) is -- what do I do with my shoes? Ideally, there's a means of easily taking them off, easily putting them on, and keeping the inside of my hammock clean. Currently, just leaving them under my hammock under my fly gets the job done quite well.

1) Bring shoes into GTS with me and hang from hammock ridge-line inside hammock. Don't like this, especially if shoes/boots are dirty and/or snowy.

2) Bring shoes into GTS with me and stow them in bottom of GTS below hammock (i.e., sort of using the GTS as a gear sling). This becomes more problematic if using boots in winter (i.e., boots are heavy and seems like bad idea to bring snow into GTS).

3) Somehow put shoes/boots into some sort of waterproof gear bag sitting under GTS (e.g., could be just a plastic garbage bag). I'm thinking that this may have some merit.

4) Use some sort of gear sling like the ENO UnderBelly Gear Sling. You'd still need some means of protecting the shoes/boots from rain/snow, though.

All of these solutions make it kind of awkward to get into and out of the hammock. As a guy getting older, I find that I often need to get up several times a night to relieve self. The negative of having this kind of hassle just to get into/out of hammock (i.e., putting on/taking off shoes/boots) may outweigh the positive that is the elegance of the GTS itself.

Anybody have any other good ideas for what to do with shoes/boots when using a sock without a fly?
    If they are damp, they are going to freeze into bricks outside on the ground if it is very cold. (been there, done that) That will mess you up if you are getting up at 0400 in a hurry! In a bag hanging from the RL inside the sock will keep them warmer. Unless you can insulate them outside the sock.

Back when I had the plastic shell mountaineering boots, I would remove the shell and sleep in the liners. The plastic shells of course would not freeze and I could just slip my feet with liners into them when I got up. But these days, I have to keep boots from freezing.

Hammock
    Custom Darien 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben & Sil SF
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by altruistguy View Post

I've been watching this thread because I have a sock on order. I've been trying different methods for a while now. This is what works for me..

In summer I use light trail shoes, they now set under the tarp or in my gear hammock. I use vivobarefoot-ultra-pure shoes to quickly get up and answer natures call. fast and easy to put on and light enough. Let the trail shoes get wet/cold and thaw in the morning.

I just got off the Long trail where it was 0 degrees, snowing and windy. I let the trail shoes freeze under the hammock or in my gear hammock and use Goose feet down socks with overcover. I wear the down socks to bed and when I have to get up I slip on the over covers and do my business. In the morning I thaw out the shoes between my legs with my gloved hands inside. Easier for me than taking wet shoes in the hammock.

Once I get the GT sock I may try putting lighter boots in the bottom of the sock in a waterproof bag to keep them warm while keeping extra moisture out of the sock. Heavy winter boots I'll do the same as I do now, I don't like the feel of extra weight on the suspension so I don't hang anything heavy with my hammock. I'll Let them freeze under me in a bag or in my gear hammock, use my down booties and thaw the boots in the morning when I'm ready to move around.

Hope this helps.
    --
    John

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    With all the cold weather we just had I'm wondering if there is an update on testing?

With all the cold weather we just had I'm wondering if there is an update on testing?

I was wondering the same thing.
    I just spent 2 nights out last weekend at 24* and 17* - freezing rain turned to snow the 2nd night. I was under a fairly low-pitched silnylon tart. Both nights the inside of the tarp was soaked with moisture & frozen into a sheet of ice. I'm thinking a breathable sock certainly wouldn't have been any worse.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images

Thumbs up

I have been thinking that i also want one of these socks and have given the storage of my wet boots thing alot of thought and this is what i have come up with.
    I would order one of rsgarys (readystraps.com) new tarp bags, he will make them any width and depth that you want, they are completly water proof and come with very strong handles, and place my wet boot in there at bed time and hang the bag on my hammock suspention between the head or foot of my hammock and the sock, it will be inside the sock but no extra wieght on the sock, inside with me to thaw,, and keep a light pair of slippers under the hammock for the late night call of nature.
    ON MY hammock suspention NOT my ridgeline,, nice wide mouth tarp bag,, you could even use 2 bags , one at each end for balance if you want, the bags are cheap and they will keep your sock clean!

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast